City tax collected

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
City taxes collected on bill and I dont live in a city. If I was in a city, I sure as **heck** wouldnt be with Viasat.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
If it's worth arguing about, go see your County Tax Collector. For me it's a few pennies a month, not worth the headache of getting it removed. Viasat can't remove it until the County Collector does.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Bev's correct. Our (meaning front line agents, Corporate team members like me) hands are tied when it comes to taxes being charged. Even if we were to refund it, the finance department will hit us with a big veto.  I believe there's a form that can be faxed to our CARE team and sent to our finance team and in time they can remove it but I know that's mostly for if you were tax-exempt. 
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
Bev, I will go to see County Tax Colector with my latest bill. While I am at it, I will go to the city as well and ask both if they have received any monies you have collected on their behalf. What do you think will be their response? Since I don't live in city(10 miles) outside, they can't collect tax and neither should you be doing it. Brad, I think you are incorrect but I expect finance dept to say no since Viasat is good at not telling the truth to it's customers
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Was it city taxes or real estate taxes. There is a big difference.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 480 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
How in the world and why would Viasat be collecting real estate tax? Yes there us a big difference buf nog on my bill. Check yours
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Taxes on the dish. I don't get it either, but they do it. Not sure if Hughesnet does it too.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I pay city tax, a whopping $0.23 per month on Viasat and, the same rate on DTV and SirriusXM. Not worth the hassle of getting the forms, filling them out, filing them then, sending certified copies to Viasat Legal. DTV and SirriusXM Legal.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Hey!

For that cumulative $0.69, I can get two of those Walmart Bakery Shoppe miniature pies that get marked down to $.025 on their expiration date and still have $.019 left over to pay the sales tax with change to spare - I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.

I'm still trying to figure out what a buf nog on my bill is, however - push keyboard slightly back or trim nail on left index finger.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
As a business owner who has lived on both coasts I will venture a guess the tax on a satellite dish is VIASAT passing on a local business property tax on to it's customers. The locality is not taxing an end user for a dish and using VIASAT as an agent to collect that tax. In some locations every bit of business property is taxed. I pay business property tax on the chair I am sitting in right now. All the office equipment I own is taxed based on it's original purchase price.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Leased equipment in VA for out of state businesses is covered by:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title23/agency10/chapter210/section840/

But it appears Tim is more concerned about the monthly taxes that are assessed.

Viasat has 50 different sets of laws on the books to comply with for both types of taxes. They're unlikely to be playing fast and loose on tax issues in states where they have an actual corporate presence (dealers don't count).  

(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Did you agree with me or not, that is the question? My assessment was accurate. There is not a government agency in this land that forces a business to be a tax collector. They are just passing on the taxes they are charged, to their customer.
As an example a store could sell non food items without added sales tax, but when they file their state, county, and city taxes they will pay the going rate of tax on their sales.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Neither agreeing nor disagreeing Al, providing a further clarification on what this particular "property tax" is and most states allow it's recovery from the consumer. As a business located in VA you have a different set of requirements for your state tax filings. I too had those same requirements as an LLC in VA. 

Either way a smart business will recover it in one way or another - takes are always passed on to the consumer. If not recovering those taxes through higher prices you're probably going to go out of business.

In this case for Tim's concern of city taxes, yes, Viasat is required to collect the taxes and remit them to the state which in turn distributes to the locals as an out of state entity registered to do business in that state. That's what the whole Internet Sales Tax debate is all about actually.

The confusion here stems from Tim's timing - this is historically the season for discussing the property tax as Brad notes, but Tim is speaking of the monthly taxes appearing on his bill which he just noted for reasons explained below. 

Things are not always as cut and dried in all cases when starting to look at things through other peoples rose colored lenses. All of us view things from our own perspectives - thought we settled that debate but guess not.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
What is your point Casual? I am not sure if you are an ally or a burr under my saddle.Everything is cut and dried if you are not naive and will not believe everything someone who is trying to sell is telling the truth.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I can be either. My point is that you tend to provide opinion based solely on your own unique perspective and experience. Each of us has our own truths based on our personal perspectives - ever see Vantage Point

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443274/

In this case,  you're presenting your truth as a business owner located in and registered in Virginia (or similar past experience on the left coast). I provide alternative truths and readers can decide whre the truth actually lies - usually somewhere in between.

Viasat's truth is as a global entity registered to do business in states they may not have a physical presence in - different tax codes apply in Virginia for them than as for you as a business doing business in Virginia.

Tim's on the case... but I'm really having a tough time envisioning any deceit on Viasat's part on his issue - it would be just plain stupid particularly in states where they have a physical presence..

I similarly had no problem with your touting Verizon but once again you were biased based on your own personal experience  -truth from your perspective, not from mine. At the same time, you failed to point out some of the fine print that should be evaluated when switching to Verizon and the 14 day trial is not so free after all - it's going to cost $50 and the first month's prepaid fee - $115 plus taxes of course.

Truths are not absolute. Any burrs are a result of your past tendencies to declare anyone a homer simply because they disagree with you - but you've abandoned that tactic so congrats.     

(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I did not pay any of those charges with Verizon that you speak of, possibly my fine print was different because I was an long term existing customer and it appeared the store manager set me up to get the best deal possible, my monthly bill only increased $38 after adding the Jetpack. As for my personal experience with VIASAT there are plenty of their practices that apply to everyone. 2 year contract with no trial period. They force you to return obsolete equipment in hopes you will fail to do so. They do not refund any prepaid money if you cancel.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Once again you failed to mention that in advocating Verizon. I posted exactly what I could get along with disclaimers in the other thread for the plan everybody's been touting here. Different strokes for those who aren't existing Verizon customers, that's all.

Whatever is chosen, folks need to do their homework before jumping in to the pool and not rely on anything they read in a social media venue regardless of which side of the fence somebody may be on - that goes for Viasat too and it's safe to say many of those having buyers remorse didn't do their homework.

Rather than re-fighting old battles I remain interested in seeing what Tim discovers, but it seems like an awful lot of effort to save City taxes that are less than $.20 per month - must be the principle or some other motivation.  Even if not too be collected by Viasat, need to track down the source of the error if wanting to assess blame which may even be the state itself providing bad info to Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
Exede charged me the wrong sales tax rate for over a year. Once I found it and notified Exede I got my money back.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
I hope to after I find out if they haven't been sending collected taxes to city and county. I bet neither has heard of Viasat
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Chances are they haven't heard of Viasat; chances are also good that they're even unaware of tax and haven't heard of it.

Generally, it's an annual tax on the the proceeds of leased equipment for services provided by out of state companies that are registered to do business in your state. Varies by sate but most also allow recovery- some times payable to payable to cities, local or state authorities - some states even allow the recovery of costs associated with administration of the tax.

NRTC subscribers in VA seem to avoid it since technically we acquire the service from an in-state business (an NRTC member organization) - that's just my guess.     

We're from the government and here to help... we'll get anonymous, faceless companies to do our bidding for us and pay for stuff while they foot the bill for administering it and then they'll get yelled at for it, not us.

Just found out yesterday, I need a permit to straight up replace a propane gas range purchased from Lowes. Something about requiring a licensed pro to do the propane conversion, which I was going to do anyway despite the fact it's easy. I can however turn off the gas, uncouple the line, move the range out of the way for the new one, move it back, recouple and turn gas on repeatedly without a permit. Since I'm bored maybe I'll do that as a trial run - so the pro may give me a discount for sweat equity and breaking into the shrink wrapped conversion kit and instructions that come with the range - pretty sure I can handle plugging in to the 120V outlet too if it helps ;) 

(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
How would they even know you bought a range much less installed it? Going back to the tax, how does Viasat collect a city tax?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
That's referring to the annual property tax recovery fee. This is generally the time of year I use this link a lot: https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/What-s-the-Property-Tax-Recovery-Fee

I think Tim is talking about city and state taxes on his recurring monthly bills rather than this fee since he said he lives outside of the city. 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
As noted by Brad, you haven't really been specific about what taxes you're referring to.

They don't -  but if you've ever sold a house, the buyer is anal retentive and pulls permits to see if everything is in order - your could get bit in the butt later on - actually happened to me on a sale once, had to get a permit and inspection 5 years after the fact before sale could proceed - not on a range though but something I was told didn't require a permit for by the township, delayed the closing date by two weeks. 

It would be on who they remit the tax to (depends on what the tax revenue is supposed to cover) - or maybe they just don't spend a lot of time and effort administering and itemizing in detail, ask them not me.

I doubt Viasat's looking to rip you off and they probably just don't want to hit everybody up for it by folding it into the monthly fees - but they are authorized to ding the customer to recover it in most cases if not incorporated into the monthly fees directly (where you'd wind up paying even more for it as is often the case).

I trust you're paying your sales and use taxes for online purchases as most states require you to do if not collected at the source? Aren't you?

While at it ask what you're getting for those taxes regardless of who pays (but you always do).
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
Here you go, next stop county and city court house.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
You lecture me on taxes while you try to dodge your insane local taxes and permits?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Apparently you missed the "I was told didn't require a permit for by the township" and got it done prior to the sale.

or was it:

"Something about requiring a licensed pro to do the propane conversion, which I was going to do anyway despite the fact it's easy" since I was once burned and the guy performing it informed me of the requirement.

Or was it informing you of the need to pay sales and use taxes if not collected, which I do as part of my state return. Fortunately most of my stuff comes off Amazon which does collect them.

Tax compliance is hard work...

Not lecturing you, Tim... calm down. Just passing along observations.You're the one with the tin foil trying to prove Viasat is ripping off your tax payments.

But we know... Viasat sucks, and you're not interested in really knowing why things work the way they do.

Enough said... end of discussion not that you were looking for a rational one. Let us know what you find out.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
They do suck and paying a city sales tax when I dont live in the city is a rip off. The state collects the money and then pays each local. I ask the local tax collectors to see if Viasat or Exede shows up in their reports from state.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Best of luck to you Tim. Let us know how you make out!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
That's how they nailed Capone isn't it, tax fraud or was it evasion? I am curious why you're just getting around to it now since Spetemeber 2015 but will let it be.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
My credit card was compromised so I was looking at bills that were paid automatically and Viasat was one. I never looked at line items before since it wasnt  much. It was the ciyt tax that got me looking closer. Especially galling since most on here know I dont care for Viasat.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Ok, yeah that's always a good reason to start taking a closer look at bills but...
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
From my first bill in Sept 2015, total bill was $94.17
Data Service Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

State Sales Tax  $ 0.48
County Sales Tax  $ 0.16
City Sales Tax  $ 0.20
County District Sales Tax  $ 0.11
Total Taxes, Surcharges and Fees  $ 0.95

Most recent, total bill was $118.98

Data Service Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

State Sales Tax   $ 0.42
County Sales Tax $ 0.14
City Sales Tax   $ 0.17
County District Sales Tax $ 0.05
Total Taxes, Surcharges and Fees   $ 0.78

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2405 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Tim,  Some Viasat customers may be charged taxes incorrectly on their Viasat invoice because the customer may actually be tax exempt or the customer lives outside of the city limits but is being charged city taxes. 

You need to submit a tax-exempt certificate or similar paperwork if you wish to be completely exempt from taxes which can be done by fax or mail.

Please call Customer Care at 855.463.9333 and they will go over the process and disclosures with you.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Ask Viasat to explain and provide the basis for those taxes, they're undoubtedly relying on some tax tables/rates provided by your state based on municipality, address, Zip etc. Those tables could be incorrect from the source (your state) or Viasat could be interpreting them wrong or both. They usually pretty confusing. Pretty sure Viasat has to at least be registered to do business in your state and therefore abide by its tax codes whatever those may be. This is why we have tax accountants.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3498 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
That's a more elaborate reply than my "take it up with your local county and city" that I'd most likely reply with. With as many counties, states and cities dealt with we base it on what we've been provided by location. 
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
I am not trying to get out of paying the tax, just like on phone bill or gas. I just want to know that the local bodies are receiving it.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Then ask them... I'm not saying you are, just good luck in getting an answer other than what??? Been there also...

Do you really think Viasat would be so stupid as to not remit taxes they are collecting? That's what you're implying.

My guess, it's remitted to the state which distributes to local governments - otherwise on quarterly tax day Viasat would have to pay this mother and that mother and the other mother and an army of accountants... adding even more admin overhead.

I'd be more concerned about what they're using it for once they get it - maybe they're building out fiber or simply using it for the annual Vegas convention ;)

(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 88 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Good going Tim! please keep us informed ;-)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Yeah, we'll get those sons of biscuits yet... lock 'em up.

And just in case... ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
First it was that the FBI has taken some elderly lady's modem for investigation, then the guy from Florida who claims the State of Florida is going to shut down Viasat, and  now Tim is going to investigate the authority of a municipality of a government entity to tax property.

Stand  by for some good news, it is coming soon.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
No need to be a ****, I am not investigating, the county and city are. Tell me why you think I should be paying taxes to Viasat for a city I do not live in
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Tim, please try to refrain from calling me, or others on the forum such vulgar names.

You will have to get that answer as to why you should be paying taxes to a city you don't live in from the taxing authority itself, not me.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
OK Richard
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2147 Posts
  • 1305 Reply Likes
First it was that the FBI has taken some elderly lady's modem for investigation
I wish I had seen that one.  :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.