Problem with data allowance

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

Like so many others, my data allowance is disappearing for no reason. We use this computer for only social things--no streaming, no uploading or downloading large files, or any files for that matter. Our data allowance lasts less than a week and then the computer freezes and won't open anything. The non high speed service is so slow that it can't be used for anything. I saw someone else looking for places to report this to and I am going to do the same thing. Stupid bunch of rip off artists.
Photo of Judy Roberts

Judy Roberts

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello Judy! There can be multiple reasons why your bandwidth is going so quickly. We would be more than happy to take a deeper look into this matter for you. Please send an email with your information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Exede/Lizz
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Par for the course Judy!! Your best bet is to hire someone round the clock to sit and watch your highly sophisticated data usage bar graph!!
Photo of A Lola Valley

A Lola Valley

• 27 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I can't do anything with this garbage. I can't watch a youtube video and when I want to connect to see my usage, it tells me "the system was not able to respond. please try again later".
They are throttling, stopping us from using videos so they can give that service to others and this is against the law. I am going to report them to FCC
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
A Lola, 
We are here to help and assist with any issues you are having in concern to your data usage. Please email us at exedelistens@viasat.com with your phone number and time to call. Thank you. Exede/Zac
Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Mine has done the same thing and nothing is different. It gets blamed on possible hackers or children in the house. I am so fed up with exede and satellite companies I could puke.  I wish I could get my U-verse back! I live in an area they don't service. I hate this company. Down right hate it and tell everyone to look elsewhere because watching a  meter all day is ridiculous! Time someone with some sense takes over and gets us what we really need. AT&T isn't great but at least I didn't have to watch a meter and I paid less a month! 
Photo of Chris Adkins

Chris Adkins

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are rural subscribers off ATT, all they offered in our area was 3MB/s DSL, when they upgraded to U Verse the only available speed in our area is 768kBs! Its so slow Facebook times out before anything loads. Any type of secure page will most likely time out as well. Its ridiculous. I have been thinking about switching to exede, but perhaps your experience has convinced me otherwise.
Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
There are ways to up that signal. Build a tower on your roof if you need to. I hate the meter. I have no idea where the data is going. We only watch the videos in the free time and we still have 0 data. I am suppose to have unlimited for web surfing and such. I have turned off the instant play for videos on facebook and other sites. I just can't figure it out. They would be an excellent company if they didn't have meters. But watching a meter all day sucks. We didn't go on any sites at all one day and still used 3 gbs. No idea how when the only page up was the exede meter. That was the only page open. We watched tv all day and did other things so we wouldn't use the data and still used 3 gbs of data. How does that happen? We even left the house and did other things for over 8 hours, kids, adults, everyone, and just left the meter page open. Came home, watched tv, went to bed, and then the next day I checked it and that is how I seen we used 3 gbs of data on a day we didn't use it at all. Something isn't right. Stay with AT&T and see if you can get a booster.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Same ol song and dance for me to Nancy, for the 12th month in a row we've made it only 2 weeks into our cycle and Excede has crippled our home internet speed because we hit the 10MB.  If i'd not been lied to by no less than 3 Excede representatives it would be easier to swallow the theft of $60/month for this dis-service they provide.  Problem is I don't have much choice other than satellite, but maybe i can find one that  is not associate with Excede in any way so I feel better about doing business with a company that hasn't lied their way into a contract.  Its actually shocking to me they havent had their pants sued off yet!
Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Justin, please send me the name and phone number associated with your account so I can see what is going on for you.  david@lakecountrysat.com

David R Varner is an Elite Dealer for Exede High Speed Internet and also a member of the Dealer Advisory Council to ViaSat.  www.lakecountrysat.com

Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

With all due respect David I know what is going on, we are a family of 4 that uses smart phones, a tablet and occasionally a laptop and 10MB is a ridiculously small amount of data for a family of 4.  When I bought the service is was told by 3 Excede employees oh this would be fine for you, you should have no problems staying under 10MB of data.  Stupid me I believed them, as have many others on this forum, and I'm now stuck in a contract with a service that functions for 2 weeks out of the month at best( I consider the crippling, trottled speed once you meet your cap to be non-functional).  I was also told multiple times before the install that the throttled speed with beat the 512K DSL that was my other potential option, another outright lie, I've been on dialup that is faster than my slowed speeds are.  I can't begin to describe how much I despise Exede and their deceptive business practices. 

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Again, shoot me an email with your info and I can look into it for you and see what I can do.  But, I can not help you until I can access your account.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
i don't have your email, lol!

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
david@lakecountrysat.com it was in my first response.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Justin and Nancy Ring,

We have tips on how to manage your monthly data allowance and ways on how to maximize your data. There are several activities that will cause you to go over your monthly allowance and we have some examples of those. We can also review your usage history to see what has consumed your data the most. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information for further assistance.Thank you.
Exede Crystal
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Have you actually read my posts?  SMH.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Justin,
I have read your posts and you stated that for the past 12 months you have hit your data allowance in 2 weeks. You also stated that you have a family of 4 that uses multiple devices. You were told by reps that the 10 GB plan would be enough for you and your family.  So it seems to me that your issues are with the data allowance for the service plan you have selected. I would like to help,so If you would like to discuss this further, please send an email. Thanks.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Bingo, you got it!  My issue is not with the service, it would work fine for someone who lived alone and only wanted to check the weather once a day and maybe send an email or 2.  But it is in no way acceptable for a family with average internet usage. 

My issue is with the deceptive business practices practiced by Excede which led me into a lengthy contract.  Sooooo, unless you can cut my bill in half, or provide double the data without increasing my bill I suppose there isn't much point in having the off record conversation that Excede likes to push people into on this forum. One day I'll get around to filing my BBB complaint, I just have not had time to do it yet.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Thank you to David at Lake Country Satellite, he has been the most helpful individual I have talked to in over a year, a YEAR!!   David let me know about the Evolution package, which while it pains me greatly to give any more of my money I think that this plan may solve the data usage issues I've been experiencing for the past 12 months. Kudo's to David for going out of his way to help me and my family!
Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We have evolution as well. It wouldn't be bad except my 5 gig goes fast. That is the only issue. I copied the email I got. I will send one in to see where this data is going. I just don't get it. AT&T can't find my address so they won't even consider me for service which is odd since I have lights, exede, and direct tv. I just wish you would get rid of the meter! 

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy..send me a private email with the name and phone number associated with your account and I will send you a general snapshot of the how, when, and where your data is going.  david@lakecountrysat.com

David R Varner is an Elite Dealer for Exede and is a member of the Dealer Advisory Council to ViaSat. www.lakecountrysat.com

Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have just recently been hit with the same problem.  I have had Exede for about a year, but only last month did I begin to have the same problem of data allowance running out.  I called Exede, spoke with someone who tried to convince me it was my fault.  Even after admitting that my usage patterns had not changed.  In 5 days I received a notice from Exede telling me slow down.  5 days and have used up that much and I did nothing different than I had since I signed up with Exede. 

I have many groups on FB that I give my services to freely.  I counsel many people free of charge, so not being able to get to them to help them is going to be a big problem.  I have watched one 6 minute video which should not have ate up all of my bandwidth.  The rep said that FB was the biggest user of my data.  How can that be since this just began a month ago and my patterns have not changed? 

Like I said above, this only began to happen last month.  In May I could not get onto FB or Ebay, but that was fixed with a hard boot to the modem.  Now, I am running out of data allowance in 5 days, this is terrible.  I can understand glitches and realize that everything will have a glitch now and again, but to continue on in this is more than a simple glitch.  Can someone please look into this and see if there is a problem on Exede's end?  I can handle if someone is up front and admits to a problem, that is fine, that we can handle.  Everything will have a problem now and again.  But this I cannot handle when I pay for a service in order to give my services for free, yet I do not have the ability to do so with no bandwidth allowance.  Very disheartening. 
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your data usage. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and I will review your usage history in the system. I have recently assisted a customer who was having a similar issue with unexplained data spikes, 5 GB in a few hours. It turns out that Facebook was the culprit. The auto-play videos that were streaming in the background was using all of his data. He had to go to his Facebook settings and turn off the auto-play videos and that fixed his problem. There is usually an explanation as too what is consuming your data and we would like to help you figure this out to prevent the same issues in the future.

ExedeCrystal
Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you!

Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
You're welcome Kathy. I have received and responded to your email.

ExedeCrystal
Photo of Chris Adkins

Chris Adkins

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How about an evolution package with 10GB Anytime usage?
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Chris Adkins, The Evolution Plan offers unlimited access to web pages and emails with a monthly allowance of 5 GB of data for everything else.
Photo of Chris Adkins

Chris Adkins

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does the evolution package allow auto video play back that facebook uses?
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Videos will count against the monthly allowance.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
More information on the Exede Evolution Plan can be found at http://www.exede.com/evolution . You can also send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Kathy, have you turned off Facebook's automatic video downloading?  This is a relatively new feature with Facebook where they download videos, whether you have requested to play them or not.  It's kind of like keeping the kitchen faucet running, just in case you want a drink. :-)
Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, I have auto play off.  The feature was introduced in December of last year.  This has only happened to me this month that my data allowance disappeared in 5 days.  .  Crystal has tried to find the problem, thank you Crystal.  I don't do videos and if I do, they are short videos of only a minute or two.  So nothing drastic or lengthy. 
Photo of Tony Mullins

Tony Mullins

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have the same issues. I can unplug my computer from the modem, I have auto play on FB turned off. We do surf the net by phone, or Kindle and our data just disappears in no time. All I can say is that I have a 5 Gb air card from AT&T and I can watch videos and surf the net every day on this air card and have not come close to my monthly allowance. How is it possible that I can't burn 5 Gb in a month with more daily usage than Exede, and then go through 10 Gb, which is double the data, in no time? Something fishy is going on here plain and simple. I will be changing providers when my contract is up. Exede is no better than Hughesnet. In my opinion they both suck and run you out of data so they can sell you more at an astronomical price.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Tony,
I will be glad to review your usage history and discuss your concerns with your data plan. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your phone number and the best time to reach you. Thanks.
ExedeCrystal

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.