Charging EasyCare customer for disconnection service

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Team Viasat,

Today I called customer service to see what lower-priced options might be available. We are grand-fathered into the Freedom plan, however we no longer need to use anywhere near that much data. When I learned that the lowest cost plan was $75 (not counting what we already pay for Easy Care, plus other fees which would bring the total close to $95), I asked about discontinuing the service. 

It was then that I learned a couple of disturbing truths concerning ViaSat’s legal terms for EasyCare customers (not to mention for residential customers, period).

First, there is no pro-rated refund for disconnection in the middle of your billing period. Our billing period started only about a week ago and yet if we were to discontinue our service now, there would be no pro-rated refund. In other words, we would be paying for service we are not even using.

Second, since ViaSat wants the TRIA back (totally fine with us and understandable), we would need to have it removed from our roof. To get that done. ViaSat wants to extract a fee of $95 - even though we are already paying for EasyCare and have been paying that for years. My wife and I are in our 60s and my days of climbing on to the roof for maintenance purposes are behind me.

So to recap - ViaSat refuses to offer a pro-rated refund, even though we are literally just now entering the second week of this service period - and in addition to that refusal, ViaSat will charge us $95 to remove a TRIA when my wife and I literally have no choice in the matter. We are not about to climb on a roof.

From our perspective, this smacks of customer abuse. It certainly isn’t customer service. Bear in mind that we’ve been ViaSat customers for years, regularly making our payments for service as well as for EasyCare. As we now enter a phase of our lives where satellite service (and the fees required by said service) no longer makes sense for us, we are rewarded for our loyalty as customers with an extraction of one final pound of flesh. Surely, that cannot be so. Absolutely, it should not be so.

Is there a customer service rep in this forum who can help to resolve this? Because it is (as said already) abusive treatment of customers who have been loyal, literally for years. Brad? Are you still active here?

Please advise what can be done to resolve this. Thanks.

Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
  • Concerned, aggravated, disgruntled

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1236 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes
For all the money you wasted on Easy Care (just another way to get customers to give them more money), they should take the dish down for you! I mean I know you paid more for Easy Care than what you would have paid for service calls.

Just be glad you are moving on from satellite internet. I dont think you will miss it!
Photo of Shawn Barker Davenport

Shawn Barker Davenport

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Call the Better Business Bureau. I see people respond to others on here badly for referring someone to contact the BBB but I dont know why, because they have resolved every issue I've ever brought to them and one being DirecTV. They were going to charge us a early termination fee because we canceled their service because their tech did not install our TVs with their service. They were brand new TV out of the box and on the entertain center where it was going and they would not touch them! I contacted the BBB and we did not have to pay a dime! See where you get with their customers service, THEN email the BBB. You dont even have to call them. All you have to do is email and tell your entire story. Follow up in your email with them though because they follow through quickly. Hey what will it hurt??? Nothing. I've had to help my elderly mom through this as well as they were with at&t for ever, as long as they were called bell south, many many many years and they were trying to hit her up with a bunch of charges. Emailed the BBB and she did not pay one cent. That's what I would do. Good luck to you. I have this awful company and actively looking daily for a new service. It's all we can get out where we are.

Good luck and I hope I've helped.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1189 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
You can't get Hughesnet?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2079 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
So you misuse the BBB and instruct others to do the same? 

The technicians aren't required to connect your TVs.  They're required to connect to your primary computer and ensure that it works, and that's it.  The rest is up to you.   

Though the OP is in a pickle, advocating that they use the BBB to get what they want, which they aren't legally entitled to, is ridiculous.  It's abuse of an organization that is there to help people when they're wronged by a company, not to help you just get what you want.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The BBB wields no power regardless of what you think, they are not a government agency. Their rating system is based on how companies react to complaints, nothing else. While Viasat has an average 1 out of 5 stars on most legit sites of consumer reviews last I checked the BBB rated them A+. You got what you wanted because Directv didn't want the bad press, plain and simple.

As for the OP, from reading here what has been stated is Easy Care gets you a discounted equipment removal fee, you pay $95 instead of something like $150. Sorry as you have found out, Easy Care isn't worth what you pay for it.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2079 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
Edit of earlier comment.  I see that the comment regarding the TVs was about DirecTV, not ViaSat.  It's still a very confusing claim, as DirecTV's job is connecting TVs, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  

The rest of my reply still stands.  
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
Rique,

Please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account info, and we'll take a look to see what we can do to assist you!
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Hi Matt,

I sent you an Email yesterday afternoon (EDT). I need further assistance from your team, customer care could only do so much. I won't go into detail on this thread, please read my Email from yesterday - and please advise.

Thanks again for your involvement.

Rique
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Matt,

Thanks, I will certainly take care of that right away. I appreciate your attention to this.

Rique
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Matt, Done. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rique
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I'd have a tech come out to "repair" my service before canceling the account if going on the roof is an issue for you.  Easy Care covers "repair" visits.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1236 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes
While up there, just bring it down. That will fix the problem!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I once had a tech come out in a small compact car without a ladder. Lucky I own like 5 of them all different heights from 3 to 24 feet.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
So did customer care make good on this for you or will you have to get your equipment "repaired" soon?
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Stephen, Matt B is helping me out. It is "In Progress", but not completely resolved yet. I'm confident that Matt will come through.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Matt, per your advice, I have emailed Viasat listens (up to 6 emails now).

I did receive a reply to the first Email (a satisfactory and fair reply), however when I sent follow-up emails after the phone CSR refused to honor a commitment I received from you (I have now sent 5 more emails, totaling 6 - and those follow-up emails were also sent per your advice) - those emails were not replied to. 

Accordingly, I'm going to start a new thread covering this situation in detail. It would be great if I could get a reply so that would not be necessary, but repeated pleas to Viasat listens have gotten me nowhere. Needless to say, this is frustrating and deeply concerning.