Changed contract terms

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
@ViasatInternet agent suggested I need to pay $50/mo more for the same service I signed up for originally with 2/3 the “Unlimited data”. Can someone please point me to something stating this change and what the new terms are? The app still says I should be receiving service I’m not actually getting?

Photo of C

C

• 18 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 877 Posts
  • 571 Reply Likes
That's right. Viasat unilaterally changed the terms and conditions of the 150GB plans earlier this year. Legally they can do it, but not right. Not fair. Disrespects the customer.

You got three options. Keep your plan (which they dont want you to do). Pay more...get less (this is what they want you to do). Or quit the service.

Your choice. A number of us posters on here quit the service. Good luck!
Photo of C

C

• 18 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
OK, after going back to find the vaguely worded email from “February” (actually, 1/18/2019), there’s a link to the “Unlimited Data Policy”.

Several paragraphs in: “...during network congestion, customers on the Bronze 12, Silver 25, and Gold 30 service plans, who purchased their service plans prior to February 13, 2018, may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data actually used, resulting in slower speeds.”

What this means in real life is that instead of the 25Mbps mean speed the email says you will get (didn’t get that before, but I could live with it), you will get .1Mbps (100kbps) or less, no matter whether you’ve used 99% of your data or ZERO.

Basically, Viasat bit off more than they could chew with the first “Unlimited” plans and decided to give us early adopters the middle finger to our backs and hope we never noticed.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 512 Posts
  • 336 Reply Likes
Correct. And lost long-term customers like myself.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 202 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hope you have other options and can get rid of Viasat. As a side note internet through a cell phone wireless provider isn't a walk in the park either. After 4 months of Verizon wireless working great the service became congested and is now problematic on evenings and weekends. Calling their tech support when issues happened I was treated like I was stupid and lied to, they would not admit my problems were related to congestion when it was obvious that was the problem. It seems people that can't get hard wired internet are treated like trash in this country.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 512 Posts
  • 336 Reply Likes
Still working for me. No worse than Viasat. And cheaper!
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 59 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Mine's still the same, sometimes better, 24x7, same speed, 20s down.  Too bad they discontinued offering it, but I got a second line just in case (for now).

I see that one MVNO type "app based" service Verizon started, that shall remain nameless, removed the speed cap on their phone service for a limited time (grandfathered if you sign up), phone hotspot is limited to 5 meg.  But no data cap of any kind except 480p video....  Uncapped, unlimited prepaid phone data plus unlimited 5 meg throttled hotspot, not bad for $40, and would sorta work, for some.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 202 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
As much as Verizon has started to suck on weekends and evenings it is still way better than Viasat, but that isn't saying much.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3091 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
I have had few problems with my Verizon prepaid unlimited.. Been with them since the beginning of March. Only twice has the speed dropped below 8 Mbps, and one of those times the tower was problems, even my phone had bad service with only 3G..Been streaming regularly, averaging close to 100 GB per month.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
The email was the official communication of the policy change. We are allowing those affected to stay on the current plan with the knowledge that will happen, the option to change to a plan that will not be affected by it or the option to leave the service without penalty. 

Feel free to email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com if you have further questions

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.