Change me IP address from IPv4 to IPv6

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
I need to change IP address from IPv4 to IPv6 having so much trouble playing online because IPv4 is old to joing online gaming sessions I need to change it to IPv6 for me to enjoy the full experience. Without IPv6 is hard to play anithing online or join friend because my NAT type is not compatible
Photo of Daniel Estrada

Daniel Estrada

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 862 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Then change providers. Because Viasat does not and will not support IPv6 for the foreseeable future.

The weekend has arrived!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
I need to go to the store and get more popcorn.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
You do realize that unless your games are turn based it wouldn't matter anyway, right?  The latency is too high for pretty much anything other than turn based games to work, though there does seem to be an exception or two.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 351 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
The latency Gabe speaks of is usually about 3/4 of a second with satellite, you can't beat the laws of physics. So if adding 3/4 of a second to your reaction time in a game is problematic, satellite will not work, no way around that.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 862 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
I believe the OP expects the latency to be fixed too.

Seriously. I do feel bad for people that fall for the sales pitch and have no concept or understanding of satellite internet's limitations.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Are the sales reps on the phone required to ask if a perspective customer will be gaming?  If not, they should be, and they should be required to explain the shortcomings if the potential customer answers in the affirmative.    
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 351 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
There is so much more bad press on the internet regarding satellite and a lot of the positive press is obvious shilling by people selling the service, compared to almost 10 years ago when I got Viasat. Back in 2010 it seemed like most of the complainers were just people who went over their data limits or were playing video games where the latency caused problems. Today anyone that spends a couple hours Googling should easily know what they are getting into with satellite. Maybe I am old school as I don't trust anyone who is trying to sell me something.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 862 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
At one point (late 90's) satellite internet was cutting edge and was superior to what many people could get for internet. It was great. Alas, as time goes by it falls further and further behind and the tech gap increases.

Viasat-2 was suppose to help close that gap. We all see how that turned out.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
Viasat should open up a time share company.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 351 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I would not have a problem with Viasat if they did three things. Market it for what it is and stop making false claims.. Live up to their end of the contract, stop changing the rules in the middle of the game. Most important, set minimum standards that if they are not met, the contract can be terminated without penalty and installation charges refunded. As it sits the customer takes all the risks.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't ViaSat being somewhat liberal with the ability to cancel if the service wasn't working very well, even after they tried to "fix" it?  I don't mean the 150GB plans, I just mean in general.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 862 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
We could start a topic saying what could Viasat do to improve their image and reputation as an internet provider. Most things wouldn't cost that much.

But then they think they know better than the actual consumer of the service.

Nothing can bring a company down more than arrogance.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Realistic ads, as in not setting unrealistic explanations, would definitely be one of them.  And I definitely agree with Will's idea that they should allow customers to move on without penalty if customer agreed to minimum standards are not met. "Up to" speeds and "may slow" can only go so far before those things can start becoming ludicrous in their definition.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 351 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I just wanted it to communicate with customers through e-mail, look up the cost of raw materials, tooling, shop supplies and place orders for those items in a timely fashion. With all the dropouts I could not do that. Sometimes tasks that should have taken minutes took hours, it drove me nuts. I am self-employed. Playing office boy instead of machining parts pays $0.00 an hour. Viasat caused me to play office boy way longer than I should.