Can't transfer equipment to new owner?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I am seriously unhappy with the cancellation process. I sold my rural property, and the buyer wants to assume the equipment and start service, but no, we can't do that. I have to dismantle the equipment and send it back or face a $300 fine, and the buyer has to get someone to make a 3-hour round trip to install the same equipment. That is CRAZY. And then I can't cancel my service until the day it needs to be turned off. So just as I'm ready to leave I'll be out at my dish with a screwdriver and calling Exede to cancel, because I can't be incommunicado before then. Come ON folks. I've been wildly happy with your service, it's a shame to end it on a STUPIDITY like this.
Photo of Nancy Hildebrandt

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Angry

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That is pretty much non-sensical - perhaps a moderator here can talk some common sense into someone, particularly if the new owner agrees to a new commtment - why even run the risk of messing up what is apparently a good install when some administrative updates serve the same purpose?        

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Exactly right. You get it!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Be thankful your power company doesn't have the same policy, otherwise you'd be returning their "modem", the electric meter, in a box with prepaid shipping; and that requires a special screwdriver.

Hopefully logic and common sense will prevail here... good luck on the real estate transaction - those are stressful enough without any added distractions.       
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Can you let the new owner use your system and account? You can continue paying the monthly bull with him reimbursing you until the contract runs out.

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I was one of the first customers so currently have met the two-year contract obligation. And if they paid me until the contract ran out, they'd still have to mail back the old unit and get an installer out to set up their own account. The $300 is for not mailing back the equipment, not to break a contract.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy,
I have to agree with the current attitude of everyone else. If the new customers/ home owners are willing to signup for a new contract period; with the original equipment that is in place; and supply Exede with credit card info and so on.

Why not roll the system over to the new customers, and be happy for the opportunity??? Win, win for everyone.

Nancy, I sure would think one of the Exede rep's will pick this up and respond to you with some sort of fix.

There are plenty of bad post on this forum, this has to be the most positive one I have seen. Common sense and good business sense too me.
Everett

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You are not understanding. Owners want new contract with my (original) equipment--Exede says that is not possible. I must dismantle equipment and send it back, new owner must get an installer to travel a couple hours each way to install the same equipment. Make sense?

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy,
That is exactly what I am understanding. I think you are right.

You should not have to pay anything to ship the old dish back to Exede. And the new owners should just have to sign a new service contract and setup their credit/ payment information.

This would be like saying they (new owners) are aware of the condition of the dish and system, and accept it as is.
Owners want new contract with my (original) equipment-
I think they should be able to come to this agreement with Exede. It's good business with out a bunch of added cost for Exede, you, and the new customer/ owner.

And if Exede is saying: "Exede says that is not possible." I think they are wrong in doing so. Why would this be a issue for them?

Everett  
Photo of kenneth mathews

kenneth mathews

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sounds about right in todays upside down world, common sense doesnt seem to be so common anymore.

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ah I see what you're saying now Everett. I've been wildly happy with Exede, brought in quite a few customers. This really puts a damper on my enthusiasm. Any of you champions have an "in" with the administration? I wish I could find a way to escalate this.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy,
We do not have an "in" really, but  I am sure this post will catch their attention. It is the weekend now, but on Monday you should see some results and post's back from the Exede rep's, and hopefully a fix for your situation.

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I misunderstood your situation initially. I would think the new owner would prefer new equipment. It will cost them nothing. You only have to return the modem and TRIA and Exede will provide mailing containers and shipping labels. Most installers would be excited to get this easy installation and will probably remove your TRIA for you if it is hard to get to. The installer would only have to hook up your modem, replace the TRIA and peak the dish. In most cases installers get paid the same regardless of the difficulty of the job. You only have to remove 4 screws and the coax connection to remove the TRIA.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Nancy - Your situation seems very straight forward, and probably is.  Unfortunately, involving a third party in a contract can create problems.  A clean break prevents this.  If the new guy tells you that he has taken over the contract for the equipment and you move and then get a bill, what then?  All you have on your side is the word of mouth from the new guy.  Exede can't tell you the new guy has signed a contract because of privacy issues.  The lawyers make all of our lives more complicated than necessary.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy,

I can understand how you feel concerning this matter.  We do require that customers get new equipment installed. You can take your equipment down prior to leaving, just keep in mind you have already paid for the service.  If you have any questions or concerns, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.

Nancy Hildebrandt

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I understand you have a POLICY. However, please consider your customer base, and here's a use case. I live an hour away from the nearest town. The new owner will not reside here and has to travel two hours each way to get here, and the installer will probably have to travel two hours each way. Any other business I would understand, they are not thinking of rural interests, but this is satellite internet--the whole point is you can get it in places that are pretty inaccessible to any other internet service.

IMHO, the ideal policy would be that a new person could assume the account and the equipment if they want to. You could warn them if the equipment is out of date and let them decide if it's worth the hassle of swapping. I can tell you that the hassle is exactly what they were hoping to avoid. You had a guaranteed new customer, and now, I dunno. 

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'm moving to civilization and getting DSL so I don't have to care anymore. I sure liked your service while I had it and am sorry to have to end it hung up on a POLICY.
Photo of Jim Frantz

Jim Frantz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This just does not make good business sense, you would think transferring to a new owner with a new contract would be the best thing to do for everyone. I am moving and was thinking of using exede at my new place but if they are not going to transfer the remaining few months to the new home owner than I will go with anyone of the many internet providers available so they not only loose me as a customer but the new home owners as well for the sake of getting $300 cancellation fee, not good

They need to make sense of this issue and work with their customers especially when everyone is in agreement to take over the rest of the contract and sign a new two year contract
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Jim,I’m sorry for the frustration; I know this can be a hassle especially with only a few months remaining on a contract. With every new Exede move, a new contract must be implemented because this is service at a new address. We certainly do not want to lose a valuable customer. Please allow us the opportunity to review your account and see what we can do based on your particular scenario. Please feel free to send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact info. I look forward to hearing from you. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.