Cannot be wireless

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Can I hook my desktop computer up to the modem with a cable? I see there are connections on the side. In order to work from home it is a requirement that I not do it wirelessly.
Photo of Carrie Wente

Carrie Wente

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2255 Posts
  • 1379 Reply Likes
For the sake of redundancy and because this one was posted prior to the other....

Yes, you can.  All ViaSat modems have LAN cable connections.  The wireless connection with the wireless modem is just a connection option, but it doesn't have to be used.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
I love how companies have these rules. You can work at home, but not wirelessly. That is a good one!

I would like to know how the company could even enforce that!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2255 Posts
  • 1379 Reply Likes
I wonder if it's for quality purposes or security.  
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
The company may be referring to actual wireless (i.e. cellular) not WiFi.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2255 Posts
  • 1379 Reply Likes
Hadn't thought of that.  If that's the case, it's almost assuredly a security concern.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
I am sure it is a security concern, but not sure how they enforce it.

And yes, most likely wireless not home wi-fi.
Photo of Carrie Wente

Carrie Wente

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
She didn't say if it was for security or not. She seemed more concerned with the speed. I really had problems with logging into their system and testing. I was unable to finish the test, which much of it was due to lag. She told me before beginning that being wireless, I would be working at my own risk because it was so slow with a crazy delay.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 319 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
OK, using a cable to connect to the modem probably wont do much but you can try.

Even with the cable, you're going to experience the inherent latency (lag) of satellite internet - can't get around that. Chances are they also want to use a VPN (of their choosing) which further exacerbates the situation.  
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
Depending on what you are trying to do working remotely, it may or may not work with satellite internet.