Can I have a VPN session AND other non VPN applications concurrently?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. No need of further response at current time.

I'm testing my work PC at an Exede dealer. I can connect to work via Cisco's VPN client and access the mainframe system and the servers within the domain I've connected to, it all works great. But while I have my VPN connection no other internet applications like a web browser or Outlook will work; they do not have an Internet connection. When I end the VPN connection all other Internet applications work fine. Is there a solution to this; to have my VPN session AND other non VPN applications concurrently? Using DSL I can have both a VPN connection and none VPN applications. What is the reason for this difference?
Photo of Les Meissel

Les Meissel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Les Meissel,

I am going to check into this for you. As soon as I have some additional information I will let you know asap.
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is quite likely due to the default route that is assigned to the PC when the VPN session is established.   The route is removed when the vpn session ends.  This will have to be addressed by the RAS administrator.
Photo of Les Meissel

Les Meissel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Using the same PC with the same VPN client but connected thru the local Lumos DSL network I have my VPN tunnel AND a funtional web browser session(IE) and IM session(MS Communicator). So I don't follow your logic ascribing the problem to the VPN. The problem has to be with the ISP; in this case Excede. If I approach the corporate RAS Administrator regarding this they will need the same information I am asking for to begin to research the problem. My question remains: in what specific ways does the Excede connection differ from a DSL connection? Thanks for your help!
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Les, what would lead you to believe it "has" to be the ISP? VPN tunnels are established at each endpoint, ie by the vpn server and the client. The ISP is just carrying the water.. (payload). Unless the isp is blocking the ports (unlikely), it can only be an issue at one of the endpoints.

The vpn server can be configured to provides overriding routes, and is policy at some companies. I sometimes have run 4 different vpn clients to 3 different remote networks on my exceed network here at home, behaves the same as when i use the vpn on the corporate desktop network.

Network wise, There is no difference in the way that Exceed transports packets, than DSL or point to point wireless, or T1 connection. I didnt change a single setting on my router when i switched from a WISP provider to Exceed.

bill

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.