Can you have more then 1 modem per sattelight?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have a WIFI hookup but Im picking up other peoples signals and its messing my own connection up, I have 2 computers in the house, is it possible to have 2 modems to hook up with 1 sattelight or no?
Photo of Marc Matthew

Marc Matthew

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I really cant help you with the modem question, but if you have your security set on you wifi, you should not be picking up any others signals, and they too should have the security set up on their router. Is it you can just see other signal, but can you hook up to it. As long as you have your security set on you router, you have nothing to worry about and your computer should not jump off your signal, even if you have it set to find the best signal. The one in you home should be the best. The main thing is to make sure you have your security set, then you would have no reason really to need another modem. That really would help you from seeing other signals. At work when I look at my wifi, I can see about 10 different signals but I cant use any of them unless I have the code for there wifi, its the same with ours, no one can use our service unless they would have the code. I hope I have helped you. Your wifi should not be jumping or even have access to others wifi. Another modem is not going fix that issue. If you want to hard wire, you will for sure stay on your system. If I could use my neighbors system, that would be a plus, so I wouldn't use all  of my time, I would just use theirs. LOL. No I think I would talk to them and warn them that without the security set up, others have access to their network.
Photo of Roger Wernsing

Roger Wernsing

• 19 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Marc only one modem can be used per satellite dish.  If you wanted another mdem you would also have to have another satellite dish and pay for another service.  
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
you get a orange jelly bean for spelling satellite right!
Photo of The Dude

The Dude

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
That's Right,You shouldn't need more than one get you a good router and lock it down,no more problem
Photo of Exede Amber

Exede Amber, Employee

• 135 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Marc, each satellite only allows one modem at a time. In order to have two modems you would need an additional account.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Luke

Nathan Luke

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can two modems on two different accounts get run through one antenna? For an apartment situation.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Nathan - You should start a new thread instead of tagging onto one almost a year old.  But, the answer to your question is no, Exede does not offer the ability to have two modems on the same dish.
Photo of Brian Battersby

Brian Battersby

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why not just use a wired ethernet connection to each of the 2 computers?  No interference and will be faster than wifi.  Most wifi routers have 3 or 4 ethernet lan ports.  Run CAT5 cable to each computer and connect each of the other ends to the router.  A little more work running the cables, but worth it imo.
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I agree with Brian, if you can hard wire it, you would be amazed in the speed difference. Also a secured router is a way to go if you do not want to be tired the wall. You can purchase units that will plug into the outlet in the home to hard wire, but it still cuts you speed. but you plug on main unit at the modem and a small box for each computer, use a cat 5 cable from your computer, to another unit that plugs into the wall, (electric outlets). I have used them with VOIP phones and worked pretty good, never have I used it for a computer. I hope we have helped you. By far a new secure router is you best route.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Marc - I wouldn't think that other nearby WiFi signals would mess up your connections unless you are clicking on them, or you are both using default names for your WiFi networks.  Give your WiFi network a distinct name.  If you have an Android phone or tablet, run WiFi Analyzer and see what names your neighbors are using, signal strengths and channels.  You should be able to set your router to an unused channel.  I guess if you are living in a a wood frame apartment building.and all of your neighbors are using WiFi, then I guess you could run out of channels. ???  In that case, go wired or go to a 5 GHz router. Good Luck!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.