Can the Viasat modem be connected into an existing wired networkor without DHCP?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Can I connect the Viasat modem into an existing wired network without using its own routing capability.  In other words can I turn off DHCP and allow the modem to switch data over its 4 1G ethernet ports and let my router do the IP assignments?
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 130 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 322 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Yes, bridge mode. Only the first port will be active and you can plug to your wan on your router. You can take a few public IP's if you want.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 152 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Yes and no. If you turn off DHCP on the modem and use DHCP on the router all devices need to be plugged into the router and only the router WAN port plugged into the modem. That is what you are doing by enabling bridge mode
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 331 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
You must use the #1 port of Viasat's modem to drive the WAN port of your router.

The other three ports on the modem are only there to collect dust when in bridge mode.
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 130 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Great thank you!.  No other settings needed in the ViaSat Modem?.....simply set to bridge mode and it will negotiate with the R6700 router for Internet access?