Can Not Secure "My Wireless Guest Network"

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
I am a new Viasat Internet customer (1/19/19).
My WIFI Router Model NR: RG1100.
PN: RG1100N-030. It is the white triangle model.

I have followed all the printed instructions for setting up the guest network that I found elsewhere, here, and also in the configuration settings of the router.
Security password and SSID are enabled.

The problem: When the network shows up during my phone scans for the wireless network it shows it as "Open". It does not show it is "Secured" and anyone can connect to it.

Am I missing something?
Photo of Ron SR

Ron SR

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
Do you see any separate security settings options for the Guest Network?  Unfortunately, Guest Networks are often open and not secure.  I don't have ViaSat so I can't say, but if it is secure there should be security related settings options for the Guest Network(s).  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4566 Posts
  • 2808 Reply Likes

I didn't think guest networks were secure either.

I mean what would be the difference?  If it was secure, wouldn't that just be like your normal network?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
Well, not really.  A Guest Network can still be secure, but not have access to the WiFi settings, sensitive router information or your home network.  
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Some routers provide a wealth of ways to secure guest networks all with different SSIDs and capabilities available to guests. For example, mine:

Even the Viasat WiFi modems apparently have a way to create and secure a guest network:

https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/How-to-create-and-manage-a-guest-wi-fi-network

Whether it actually works or not may be the OP's issue - secure in this context simply means password protected (network key).

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
I notice in the picture on that page it shows no options for network security with the Guest setup.  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I see guest network name (SSID) and guest password (network key) on that link (scroll down).

On my router, each of those 12 guest networks are individually configured with:

When you visit, I will throttle you!

Maybe OP needs to click save changes??? The link doesn't mention that and anyhting's possible.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
I see the name and password on the page in that link, but no security options.  It makes me think that it's not secure, unless the picture is not showing some security options.  

Though this is with HughesNet, this is what I see with Guest Access.  The option is No Security or WPA.  

I don't see anything like that in the Guest Access picture on the ViaSat page.  Though it does have SSID broadcast, if there is no security some WiFi adapters can see that as an open network, as it practically is.  
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
By secure Viasat (and Asus) mean password protected, but yes I see no option for choosing authentication method on the Viasat router. What you've chosen there, would likely result in no password being required. Drop down gives you a choice of authentication methods. Nobody agrees on the terminology that should be used.   
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
Ah, I see what you're saying.  One's using a password for security, while the other (mine) is using a different method.  Sheesh, if it's that confusing think about how confusing it is for the device!  LOL.  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
If not the device programmer.

I have a more expensive piece of plastic in my arsenal!

When you visit, I will throttle you and only allow you to use my network in 15 minute intervals! But you can always buy more...
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
When I chose WPA it opened a bunch of other options.  I still wonder, though, if this is why Ron's device is seeing it as not being secure.  Maybe it only likes the latest security, and maybe Guest only provides very basic.  Who knows?  I could be anything.     

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1473 Posts
  • 875 Reply Likes
When you visit, I will throttle you and only allow you to use my network in 15 minute intervals! But you can always buy more...
$1 per minute?  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
No charge during free zone hours.
Photo of Ron SR

Ron SR

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, there is an separate area for "guest" settings. I am sorry but I do not know how to post an image of the "guest" settings area.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1461 Posts
  • 869 Reply Likes
That's okay.  Again, I don't have ViaSat, but does it look like the pictures in the link given by Casual Observer above?  Here's the link again...

https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/How-to-create-and-manage-a-guest-wi-fi-network

The issue may be completely unrelated to what I suggested as a possibility, as I do see that what's above Guest Access on the page should apply to the Guest Access itself.  Or at least I believe it should.  Hopefully either a rep, or someone who is familiar with Guest Access with the ViaSat modem, will chime in with some ideas.  
Photo of Ron SR

Ron SR

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
"I am sorry but I do not know how to post an image of the "guest" settings area."

Where can I find instructions as how to post an image in this thread.
I think if you see the image of the guest configuration area it might help with my problem advice.
Ron
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 152 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Down below this comment area there is an icon that looks like a camera when you reply, click on it and it will allow you to select an image to be uploaded and displayed.

If needing instructions on how to do a screen capture, tell us what operating system you're using.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron SR

Ron SR

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is the image captured of the "guest network" config area.. 

(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 152 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Is there not a Save Settings, Save Changes, or Apply button somewhere - it's not entirely clear how one would get the changes to apply from what I see here.

Perhaps a question for Viasat at this time.
Photo of Ron SR

Ron SR

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes. There is a "Save" settings button, and I have save it with each time I have tried to setup the guest network.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 160 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Contact customer care by phone or send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com. In the email include your account and contact information as well as a description that references this conversation:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/can-not-secure-my-wireless-guest-network

Don't include or post any personal information here.

Unfortunately, your plea for help is falling on deaf ears here and your post is getting lost in all of the white noise, but apparently a potato might help ;)

(Edited)