Can I watch NETFLIX (standard ) with my 10GB plan without going over in one month?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: spent thread

I want to get a NETFLIX membership! I have a 10 GB plan! Will I be able to stay under if i don't watch HD shows?
Photo of Steven-kim Hayden

Steven-kim Hayden

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Yes, and no..... you're going to need to get a subscription and try it for yourself to see if the cost to movie ratio is worth it.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
The simple answer is yes...unless you watch the movies during the LNFZ...any type of video streaming will eat your data allowance...others have tried this and 10GB's is not enough to watch any movies and do normal internet activities...even a SD movie will eat more than 2GB's..
(Edited)
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
No, you can't watch much streaming video except in the late night free zone. At $15 per GB for extra data it would cost you $30 per movie! It would be cheaper to buy a DVD, and far cheaper to rent one.

The only way around that, as discussed in another thread is to use a program like Play On/Playlater to record streaming video during the LNFZ so you can watch it later. 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Hello Steven, Like the above answers suggest, the data cap could become a problem with Netflix without precautions like being aware of data usage and resolution settings. Netflix is a very popular internet subscription service but it does have the tendency to hog a lot of data. It will definitely work with our internet connection ,but the amount of usage is where the real issue will lie. The Late Night Free Zone is a great way to utilize Netflix with metered service.
Photo of Marcy Koplen

Marcy Koplen

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The plan I have is worthless for this. I have (according to Excede) a "generous" 18 Gig cap, with no late free time whatsoever. So I certainly can't be watching ANY movies, and expect to be able to do much of anything. I am very upset, because as a long time customer, I had the 15 gig with 12-5 as free time.

When I upped the plan (online) to this 18, (thinking it was a good deal, because we were going to be getting 3 Gig more per month on top of what I already had for only an extra 10 bucks) it didn't say ANYwhere that I would be losing my free time. If it had, I would've never switched, because I am now paying more money for less data! And we've now lost the ability to watch any movies from Netflix at midnight, which we did about once or twice a month.

And to offer in the Liberty plan a free time of between 3-8? That's a joke! You all know very well that the average family is NOT awake til that time in the morning!! So it's basically worthless to most people.

I am disabled, so I don't get out much, and the computer has been my line to the outside world. I am so upset that I cried, and feel like something has been taken away from me that no one had a right to take. I am left now with not much to do all day, because of the extremely limited amount per day I can use. I always so looked forward to my nighttime usage!

That's no way to treat customers that have been with you for years. People that have stayed loyal should be the ones that has access to whichever plan we want. If you care anything about your customers, DO THE RIGHT THING, AND GIVE US OUR OPTIONS FOR OUR OLD PLAN BACK!!!

And now in reading the forums, I see that SOME customers are being offered 150 GIG???? ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY GIG for the same as I'm paying for a lousy 18??? Come on Exede, DO RIGHT BY US!!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Hello Marcy, If you do not have the Late Night Free Zone, you're likely on one of our Liberty Plans or one of our Evolution plans with an Early Bird Free Zone. With the Liberty Plans, after priority data has been used up, you only get slowed to 1-5mbps which can still allow you to utilize the internet as normal until your data resets.This is a Major advantage compared to the classic plans that just cut you to 0.5mbps which is almost unusable, so in short, there's no hard data cap with those plans. Some of the plans with the Early Bird Free Zone are a plan that allows for web browsing and email to not count towards data. So if you don't have the Late Night Free Zone, you have some perks. We don't feel plans without a LNFZ are shorting the customer in any way, if anything they are getting a better plan.

We do have a plan called Freedom which you were reading about but at this time it's in a very extremely limited area based on location. The Liberty Plans are more likely but those too are in a limited area at this time. Next summer we are launching ViaSat 2 which will effectively allow for us to double our bandwidth which we anticipate will allow for us to offer faster speeds, higher data limits and more variety in plans across the nation. 

If you email us at exedelistens@viasat.com we can look at your plan for you and hopefully give you a better understanding of what you have and what's available in your area. 
Photo of Marcy Koplen

Marcy Koplen

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your reply, and I understand that you just work for this giant of a company.

To preface--I have been a customer since it was Wild Blue back in 2008. 

I do understand how the LP works, and yes, I can read a web page, or go on Facebook-- but with the listed speeds of 1-5 ( I actually only get about 700-800 Mb) I can't even watch a 1 minute Youtube vid without it buffering about 10 times, so there's no way I could watch a movie or even a 1/2 hour Newhart episode on Youtube without wanting to tear my hair out within the first 5 minutes. 

As far as the 150 Gig plans: It's bad enough these other folks are getting so much more to work with per month, but the fact that the rest of us are paying basically the same price for so much less is what is beyond unfair. We are definitely being gouged! They're getting 150 at full speed, so they're getting more than 87.5% more high speed than I am! So in comparison, I should really only be paying less than $13 to have the same value as they are getting. Is that not understandable?? 

I certainly hope you're right about us (you know, the customers who have been there from the beginning?) getting more data next year. And those plans need to be offered at the great rates the NEW people (who haven't even put any money INTO this company) are getting. 

Lower my plan to even $25 and I'd be happy--but don't make me have to pay $100 for 87.5% less value! Exede, show your customers that you value ALL of us. Treat us the way YOU would want to be treated!
(Edited)
Photo of Em Squared

Em Squared

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes! Thank you! It's so frustrating! You can't watch anything on this crappy internet service without it buffering 10-20 times within like a minute of the program. Like you memorize that one line without a choice because it just so happened to buffer at that one spot a million times while paying an arm & a leg to these people. Seriously?! Only reason I'm stuck with them until my contract ends is because DirectTV referred me to them. They SUCK to say the least!
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Hi, just want to say that I have the 10gb allowance plan, and I do enjoy watching NETFLIX--but as has already been said, I can only watch netflix if I: 1. watch it during the late night free zone, or
2. Use the www.playon.tv software to be able to record netflix programming during the LNFZ and then it is recorded to my harddrive and I can watch it at whatever time I would like. (if the recording takes place during hours that are NOT latenight free zone, then that will use up just as much data as if you watched the programming during nonLNFZ hours).

the recording aspect of playon used to be called "playlater" but  now this recording part has been incorporated under www.playon.tv as the "Playonplus" plan.  So if you want to look up info about and possible subcribe to playonplus go to the playon.tv address for info.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
For all the data it uses, Netflix is great and I rarely buy movies now because of it and I'm sure everyone else feels the same. There's definitely some 3rd party programs out there that do allow for flexibility with streaming for metered internet connections. I've never personally used one and since it's not our product I can't vouch for it or endorse it in any way whatsoever, but it seems some folks on here seem to see that as a good solution to the Netflix usage issue. So I'll leave it to our forum users to assess if that's a good or bad program. We do have some exciting things in the pipeline by the time ViaSat 2 is live but we do have a few limitations until then but good things are coming! Until then if you have a Late Night Free Zone or if you are on a Liberty Plan that's the workaround to the Netflix data usage. 
Photo of Em Squared

Em Squared

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

What about simply playback with cable? It's easier to find a shooting star. It's nearly impossible. I'm tired of calling you guys to complain. Last I was told it could be the router. I changed it and still the same thing. Your signal and your service sucks. Not once have you even offered to send out a technician. I'm pretty sure the satellite isn't in the right place. When your tech came out to install it he was here like 3+ hrs it was like rocket science. I can't wait until my contract is over. NO WAY will I refer you and if I can help it I'll tell everyone I know how awful your service is. Heck I might just start a letter and send it to the BBB.

Photo of Yvonne Beaman

Yvonne Beaman

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I use NightShift, it's a service that uses my free zone to preload Netflix shows during the night, and then I can use my Roku or any other player to watch them any time i want without using any of my data allowance. It's been working great for me. Before I got this I was using all my data watching Netflix. (www.gonightshift.com)
Photo of Reba Atwell

Reba Atwell

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Excede is a joke!
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 50 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yeah, someplace that offers free wi-fi.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.