Can I use zoom for 6 hours on a seminar with my current excede speed?

• Question
  • Updated 23 hours ago
Can I use zoom for a long seminar on the speed and system I have & paid for?
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Will this viasat work for 6 hours with Zoom?
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Depends. What speed are you getting? How much data have you used for the month and what is your allowance? What resolution does Zoom stream at? Can you set the resolution to lowest resolution eg 360p? There are too many variables to definitively answer your question.
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Added item, talked to one of your connections today and he recommends moving up to silver program, 20 people are attending the seminar. so? I have sent you a reply on your other questions Harvey...! Thanks
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2193 Posts
  • 1287 Reply Likes
That is just going to give you a little more priority data. 

Careful.  They might just be trying to get more money out of you.  If it uses too much data, you are still going to have issues.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
I don't see your response. Where did you send it? Post it here as it may help others with the same issues. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this group to help.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 654 Posts
  • 617 Reply Likes
Probably replied to the GetSatisfaction notification email - needless to say that doesn't work.
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Harvey I have written you twice and did talk on the phone with a viasat tech, so I have to upgrade to silver at least for this USE. Best & Thanks Steve ( using a smaller device was the best advice )

Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the comment, and I do agree with you and will most likely use this upgrade for 2 months...their price at bronze to me if far to high compared to cable. I again do appreciate your input, any other comments again I will most gladly accept. Regards, Steve
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2193 Posts
  • 1287 Reply Likes
Viasat in general cost more than other internet. Of course there isnt a lot of competition, so they can charge more. It also cost more to deliver. But they are always "retooling" plans to get people to pay more :).
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Yep. Upsell. Maximize profits up to what the market will bear. It's the way of all businesses.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Steve,   I've been replying from my phone so I looked at the forum on my PC and cannot find the replies you sent in either place .   
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 654 Posts
  • 617 Reply Likes
Steve,

If replying directly to those notification emails you may be receiving, don't - it's a do not reply address and their just going to that big bit bucket in the sky.

Instead, come in here and respond to the conversation here. I think there may even be a link in the body of the email that takes up to directly to the conversation here. I dont know because I've got those notifications disabled.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Next week the system (bronze) is being tested for Zoom, then I will know and move forward! Thanks H
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I appreciate the honest-ness of your response, and cover I will.... Yes I know and watch their games but what can one do when the only choice for me is Hughes? Thanks Steve & Venessa
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Short answer... no.
Long answer... You can until they restrict zoom (which is already done, as I attempted a call not too long ago, and I could not get video to connect even at a 360p resolution, anything less is almost useless to attempt.

I have only been able to use voice chatting, everything else regarding streaming video has been either 'reduced', meaning throttled or restricted entirely by speed.
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the solid reply I absolutely believe you. Did you try upgrading to Viasat's silver program...faster etc? Steve
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd be amazed to even get 360p these days. Pick your plan well I've been in a plan 7 years now . But they obviously want to kill the plan I'm on. I have a new month with plenty of bandwidth avai but I guess all us older users are permanently throttled 
Today I can get 2.08Mps download. the past week it's only been 1.0 Mbps. I haven't had any functioning  lights on my modem for 4 years. Actually thinking of going back to Hughesnet.
Photo of Steve Dreben

Steve Dreben

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Michael thanks for the reply, I will see how it holds on a 6 hour seminar Thursday this week, I am not sure and after reading you...well? Anyway is Hughesnet better, seems like a major technical change that may not be better...do you or did you like them, and if so why did you leave them? Regards Steve * do they HN give you more speed and bandwith...for 50 dollars per month?