Can I use the following modem/router with exede: Netgear Wireless Cable Data Gateway N450 CG3000Dv2 Thanks!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I'm thinking that since it is a modem/router that I would have to use it instead of the one I got from excede. I tried that but it didn't work. When I connect it to the exede modem, my wired computer picks up the internet, but can not connect wirelessly.
Photo of Vina Pereira

Vina Pereira

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Anxious

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
No. That device is meant for use on land based cable internet connections. You must use the ViaSat Surfbeam 2 modem provided by Exede, and then you can use most any wireless router for your wireless network in your home.
Photo of Vina Pereira

Vina Pereira

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In the following link, it speaks of configuring the modem for Satellite Connection... 
Are you certain it can't be used in this way? And thanks for your time! :)

Configuring your NETGEAR router for Satellite Connection
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/236
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
It appears to be a standard home router to me.  The instructions in the link supplied appear to be valid.  The IP gateway collision will be if the Surfbeam-2 modem is using 192.168.0.1 but it's not. The Surfbeam2 uses 192.168.1.1 making the changes in the Netgear router unnecessary. 

The router should work as supplied by the factory.

Connect the cables to the Netgear router as illustrated in the link to the Surfbeam2 modem.

Open your browser and enter 192.168.0.1.  Your router password or setup page should appear.

However...  (now here's the blank check) If after connecting your router to your system, you enter 192.168.1.1 in your browser and get your router password or setup page...  Then you DO need to get the router off that IP address as it will collide with the Surfbeam2 modem.  In this case, do as instructed in the link you provided.  There is always the possibility that Netgear used 192.168.1.1 in some of their routers.

Set up your wireless security to fit your needs but do not use the "WEP" method (easily hacked).
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3689 Posts
  • 3702 Reply Likes
Steve is correct... the N450 model # CG3000Dv2 is a combination modem and router designed for use with cable internet service providers with a coaxial WAN port only. The modem portion conforms to the DOCSIS 3.0 standard. It's used to avoid modem lease fees charged by cable ISPs. 

The link you've provided appears to be a generic link for standard Netgear routers only.

However, the N450 model # WNR2500 is simply a router having the necessary WAN ethernet port needed for the ViaSat Surfbeam modem.  
(Edited)
Photo of CyberGhosT

CyberGhosT

• 26 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi, I am using a Netgear WNR2000 x3 and all i had to do was connect it and it found the settings and updated all by itself.
All i had to do was log into the router to set a strong wifi password to keep out hitchhikers  and off I went.
If you have any issues just download the Netgear Genie and it will walk you through the setup, but for me just connecting it was enough. Hope this helps. PeAcE
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
Steve Frederick    and     Old Labs

Good call !!   I didn't do my homework on that model number, just went with the link.  A lesson learned, pays to check everything.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2735 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
Understandable Craig. Been there myself, now I always Google the model number to see exactly what device they are referring to. Of course, not every time is the complete model number given.