Can I use Ruko or Firetv on Exede with out problems?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Can I use Ruko or Firetv on Exede or do I need a different Modem?
Photo of John L

John L

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Mark

Mark

• 49 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I have Firetv and have no issues. However, you might want to consider how much data you have for the month. The plan I have is 150 G a month and I have to use it moderately to keep from going over. I hope this helps.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Not sure what you mean by need a different modem?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The bigger issue may be which plan you have as Mark suggests. The plan
limitations (fine print) and how crowded your beam (service area) will both affect how satisfactory your experience will be. But you'll find there are those around here who can give you some advice on how to work around the limitations imposed by your plan for the best experience, but strictly from a hardware perspective...

Technically no, you don't need a new "modem" - you do however need router functionality.

Streaming devices generally require a wireless (WiFi) internet connection although the Roku Ultra also supports wired (Ethernet) connections.

Viasat has three "modems":

The Surfbeam 2 doesn't include any router functionality - some of us do still have those and some of us would prefer that Viasat continue to offer a modem only options and use our own routers not a one size fits all combo device. You may already have a router and could use that. If not and In theory, I suppose you could attach a Roku Ultra to the Surfbeam 2 using an Ethernet cable but you'd probably want to get your own router since you probably would like to use the internet for other purposes; attach that to the Surfbeam 2 and then connect either wired or wireless to that router (depending on which streaming device you use). Router functionality simply allows you to share your internet connection on multiple devices. 

Both the WiFi Modem and the WiFi Gateway have built-in router functionality. They are combination modem/router/voice devices which blurs the responsibilities of each separate function. Even then, you can extend these two devices with your own standalone router if you find their router functionality and performance is less than what you require. 

If you've got a Surfbeam 2 and unless it dies and requires replacement, I don't think Viasat will upgrade it to WiFi modem unless you change to a plan that requires using them. The WiFi Gateway is unique to Viasat-2  - be careful of giving up your current plan if you like it.
(Edited)