Can I have Dish TV along with Viasat?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Currently I have dish TV and dishNET internet. I would like to switch my internet to Viasat. Can I keep my TV? They are completely seperate systems. Providers like hughesnet will not allow me to have dish TV even though its seperate and only allow Direct TV. Is Viasat the same or am I allowed to pick my own TV provider since they are seperate?
Photo of Alec Collins

Alec Collins

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3635 Posts
  • 2124 Reply Likes
Ummmm. Not sure how Hughesnet can say you can't have Dish. You buy a sub through Dish and you buy a sub through Viasat. Maybe you are talking about bundling?
Photo of Alec Collins

Alec Collins

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's the logic I've used. I have talked to them over the years and maybe they have never understood me. I told them I didn't want to bundle that I would purchase the two separately. They said over and over they would only allow Direct TV to be in the house with HughesNet. 

They must've never understood me correctly.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3635 Posts
  • 2124 Reply Likes
Must not of. Hughesnet has no control over what satellite TV company you want to use. Neither does Viasat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1050 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes
Ummmm. Not sure how Hughesnet can say you can't have Dish. 
They can't.  Plenty of people with HughesNet have Dish TV.  It's either customer confusion, salesperson confusion, or the sales people flat out lying and trying to get a perspective customer to bundle with DirecTV.  

I'm not a fan of bundling, anyway, and I tend to steer others away from the same (most of the time).  Bundling can cause too many headaches, and the money saved just isn't worth that headache.    
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3635 Posts
  • 2124 Reply Likes
Just another marketing tactic where people are making a choice based on saving a few dollars, even though it might not be the best internet option for that person.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
It's simple. Call Dish and tell them you want to cancel your internet service with them. Then call Viasat and schedule an appointment for installation/new service. The technician will have to create a new account though if your Dishnet internet was with Exede/Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 380 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Check and see if Dish and ViaSat still sell their bundled services...you may save a few $$'s..

http://about.dish.com/2012-01-09-DISH-Bundles-TV-Service-with-ViaSats-Next-Generation-High-Speed-Sat...
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2276 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
I think you will get a lot of people on here saying NOT to bundle to save a few bucks.  Viasat will not even talk to you if you bundle.  Dish or Directv will be the ones that you will deal with if you have a problem with Viasat.  That has been an issue with some.  
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
They, Dish, don't have any type of bundle with Viasat. Matter of fact, Dish is shutting off ALL DishNet/Viasat showroom accts.

Alec. I have customers in your situation call regularly. You CAN change your internet to Viasat and still keep your Dish TV service......seen it done literally hundreds of times. 

Be SURE to contact your local Viasat dealer FIRST!! They are in a position to provide superior after-the-install service. You will also find that dealing with a local dealer can make it MUCH easier to set up things like dish relocates, movers, etc. 

Go to Viasat.com and at the upper left of the page you'll see "internet", click on it and then scroll down to the "Three Ways to Order" and click on "Find a Local Dealer". No, that is NOT me in the pic. Type in your zip code and you should see several to choose from. Or, just click on this link https://www.exede.com/locate-a-dealer/  In our area you would see this result https://www.exede.com/locate-a-dealer/?zip=32428  You notice that I, Clear Choice Satellite, am located at the top....typically the dealer at the top is the one who has the best overall record. Notice the one listed below me has two locations....this is a fulfillment company, they tend to hire subcontractors. Nothing necessarily wrong with subcontractors but I tend to think of them as one-shot wonders...their ONLY concern is installing you and moving on to the next job...follow-up isn't even in their vocabulary. 

Anyway, hope this helps. 

Andy
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 797 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
No, that is NOT me in the pic.

You mean you're NOT Joe Technician??  My world has just been shattered.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1050 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes
Providers like hughesnet will not allow me to have dish TV even though its seperate and only allow Direct TV. 
HughesNet doesn't partner with or bundle service with Dish TV, but that doesn't mean you can't have Dish TV service if you have HughesNet.  Lots of people who have HughesNet have Dish TV.  

Hope that clears up any confusion.   
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 39 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Dish owns Hughesnet
Same company
Bought Hughes several years ago
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3633 Posts
  • 2124 Reply Likes

Not anymore.  EchoStar did at one time own Hughesnet and Dish.  About 10 years or so ago Dish was spun off from EchoStar in its own entity.  Both are independent, publically traded companies. 

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2284 Posts
  • 1143 Reply Likes
Echostar used to own Dish. Directv and USSB were two independent companies sharing the DSS platform. Boy it's confusing keeping track of who is who these days.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2284 Posts
  • 1143 Reply Likes
Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3633 Posts
  • 2124 Reply Likes
No, what is confusing is "Dishnet". There was a time if you ordered Dishnet, you could get Hughesnet or Exede. They were a reseller of both platforms but rebranded as Dishnet.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1050 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes
Dish owns Hughesnet
Same company
Bought Hughes several years ago
Refine and finish your research.  SMH.  
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Actually, this whole thing sounds to me like Alec contacted an unscrupulous sales office. They, this sales office, sell DTV. The customer calls and inquires about Hughes, they try to turn a single sale into a double by telling the customer they MUST change TV providers as well. 

Andy
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 889 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
And this goes on far too often.  :(