Can I block spam callers on Exede Voice?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Photo of Rhonda Rivette

Rhonda Rivette

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 175 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Good luck with any providers
Those spammers use fake/spoofed numbers 
I get same robot message from wide variety of numbers
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3416 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
You can block numbers but unfortunately like Bob above said a lot of times they spoof numbers so it may be a hydra effect (cut off one 2 more appear). Robocalls are a blight on society. 
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 419 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Yes, I've even had them program in my name and phone number to make Caller ID look like I'm calling myself..  Since I use Dish Network for my TV provider I connect my phone line into each of my two Dish receivers and use the option to display Caller ID, which causes a large banner with Caller ID to be displayed on the first ring to any TV set that's turned on..

On the 4th ring my answering machine picks up the call and my outgoing message says:

"Hello, I don't recognize your Caller ID or I'm not here.  Please wait for the tone and leave your name and why you're calling and I'll get back to you, thank you".

95% of the time the caller just hangs up..If they leave a message it makes it clear the caller is a robo call or spammer/scammer.  Most never call again or give up after trying to use different ID's and phone numbers..
Photo of Rhonda Rivette

Rhonda Rivette

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here's another solution I found that works:  Log on to ViaSat's administrative portal (www.ViaSat.user.alianza.com/login), type in your user name and password.   When your account comes up, scroll down to Call Screening and select 'custom caller'.  Type in the phone number you want to block and select 'block' in the drop down menu. (If you want to be creative, select forward and type in the telephone number for your local police department.That will stop the spammers from calling.  Guaranteed.) :) 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Even if a joke, don't be creative - the local police have better things to do than answer robocalls all day.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 128 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Don't know if the robo callers have another trick up their sleeve or it is my cell phone service. Many time it seems the calls will go straight to voice mail without the phone ringing, some of them leave long messages. For the record I have an old school flip phone and I have to listen to the messages to delete them, PITA.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 183 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
As others have said robo callers used spoofed numbers to get around number blocking. Unless you recognize the number calling just let them go to voice mail. I saw a TV show that explained that the "do not call" list doesn't work as even if caught the fines are nothing compared to the profits the robo callers make. Personal phones are annoying enough, but business numbers get way more calls. I seem to get these flavor of the month calls, I can get 2 a day for weeks of "This is Rachel, we have approved your business line of credit" then I won't hear from Rachel for months, then she starts up again. Then Rachel gets replaced by someone calling twice a day to offer credit card processing.

Photo of Whitey

Whitey

• 89 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
In fact robo callers actually use copies of the do not call list to make their calls.