Can Anyone Help Me Who Knows Computers

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
So I burnt a disc with only 21gb of stuff on it. Now I am trying to burn it onto my computer and it is trying to make a 92GB image file. I do not have 92GB of data on that disc. How can I make it show correct file size? The disc doesn't even tell me I have used all 92GB of data on the disc either.

Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 130 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Eric Hackney

Eric Hackney

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We really need more info first. Can you tell us what you put on the disc in the first place and how you are attempting to transfer it to your computer?

TheCatWillStrike

• 130 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I think I figured it out. Image Burn is saving image as correct file size. I think it's because I used a BD-RE disc and it's counting every unused sector as data. Because I can still add to the disc. Weird though. I was trying to use Cyberlink Power2Go 8 to save as image. Just a bunch of pictures, video files, and documents I have on the disc
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1867 Posts
  • 1161 Reply Likes
Is it a 100GB BD-RE?  If so, might it be seeing the whole disc as a single file, and trying to write it as such to your computer's drive?  Or, is that what you were already thinking?  

Can you copy/paste the individual files to a newly created folder on the computer?  All at once, of course, not file by file.  
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Hackney

Eric Hackney

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That sounds plausible. I figured it was bluray due to size of the files. I hate Cyberlink's software for the record. Its always on the list of bloatware I uninstall when family asks me to help them setup their new computers.

TheCatWillStrike

• 130 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Yeah it is a 100GB BD-RE
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1867 Posts
  • 1161 Reply Likes
It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of the software settings are causing it to do that.  One of the precisely 5,846 settings.  LOL.  Those full software suites sometimes confuse the heck out of me. 

I just got my first Blu Ray recorder for my computer last month.  So far I've only used Windows built in burning software.  I only got the 25GB BD-R discs, and Windows's built in burner is pretty simple, though it's enough for what I use it for, which is just burning mp4 files downloaded from PlayOn Cloud. 

TheCatWillStrike

• 130 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
More than likely. I ain't no genious when it comes to computers or software programs. lol. Family thinks I am, but really I am not.

Photo of ehlenfeld

ehlenfeld

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Access the disc using Windows File Explorer then take a screenshot using Windows Snip & Sketch and then save that photo as either a jpg or some other format and upload it so I can see what you have.

My guess is that whatever program you used copied all the files into an image file to save space and depending on that file type you may be very limited as to the things you are able to do to recover or even copy that data.
Photo of ehlenfeld

ehlenfeld

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Access the disc using Windows File Explorer then take a screenshot using Windows Snip & Sketch and then save that photo as either a jpg or some other format and upload it so I can see what you have.

My guess is that whatever program you used copied all the files into an image file to save space and depending on that file type you may be very limited as to the things you are able to do to recover or even copy that data.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1867 Posts
  • 1161 Reply Likes
@TheCatWillStrike

Though I realize it's been four weeks and you figured it out, because this popped up again I read through it again.  This stuck out to me...

"I was trying to use Cyberlink Power2Go 8 to save as image."

Next time, if there is the option to do so, try saving the files as data, not as an image.  The kinds of things you'd want to save as an image would be ISOs or entire system backups, but not really individual files.  I use Window's built in software, and BurnAware Free when I need to do something more complicated, and the latter has the option to write files as data.  Your Cyberlink software should have something similar.  Just make sure in your options to not close the disk, as once you do that you won't be able to add anything to it, even if it's got a lot of room left.