cable attenuation

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
For the past month from the modem status page I've notice our cable attenuation seems higher than normal. Should I be concerned if Internet still seems to work fine? Cable attenuation currently averages around 9dB I know it used to be a lot lower than this.

Also before posting this I called exede customer support and asked for a line test which he then informed me that he could do a diagnostic test which he did and said all of his readings show within specs although he did not have a reading for cable attenuation. 

Photo of David S.

David S.

• 37 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 349 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Your stats are fine.
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 37 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Can you explain why my Cable attenuation has risen or can you show me that these stats are normal?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 349 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Look at it daily if you want, it will rise & fall all the time.
Especially during the bootup process

Not sure why they leave that value there for everyone to see - it has value during initial installation.
The new Viasat2 modems do not display cable attenuation.

There are similar values, that are well above pay grade for most folks, that are accessible only to support and dealers

Bev is pretty knowledgable & well meaning but she does not know as much as she thinks she does about those cable values...
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 37 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
 Bev, Champion

3287 Posts   1462 Reply Likes
What are your numbers. Resistance should be between 1 and 3 Ohms, 1-2 being ideal. Attenuation is fin up to around 6 db but, lower is better, like near 2 db.

From an earlier post.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Should I be concerned if Internet still seems to work fine?"

No, you shouldn't worry about things that are fine.
(Edited)
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 37 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
So your saying it only has value during install process and after that it can rise to infinity and not make an effect on a users connection?
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1783 Posts
  • 1032 Reply Likes
He is saying quit worrying about it.  You yourself said your internet is working fine.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Check it again on a wet day. If it goes higher you might have some cable damage.