Bunk Beds on Opposite Side of Wall-Mount Dish

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hi, All ... I am brand new to satellite internet. I just got my service set up this week. I requested the tech put the dish on the exterior wall, because I do not want any holes in my roof. I am planning to put a bunk bed in my house, and one of the locations is such that the dish will be directly on the other side of the wall from the sleepers' head.

Do I have anything to worry about here? My intuition tells me that the power is probably negligible and is almost certainly all reflected by the dish, and that it probably is barely detectable on the "back" side of the dish. But I don't want to think it's safe. I want to know it's safe and that there is no RF risk.

And by "power" I mean the transmit power ... I realize the receive power is tiny, since the bird is 22,000 miles up :-)

Thanks in advance.

--Kerry

P.S. How much power does the TRIA radiate, anyway?

Photo of Kerry Thomas

Kerry Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
You have nothing to worry about, even the big ground stations pose no risk to anyone near them in normally accessible areas. The article I've linked is discussing the large ground station antennas (dishes) but even those are safe and, they are far more powerful than the home unit, which is aimed at the satellite, not your house anyway.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q11955.html
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 986 Posts
  • 490 Reply Likes
Agreed.  As long as their head is not between the TRIA and the dish, there will be no issue.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So you are saying I shouldn't sleep between the dish and tria?

Guess I will take that one off my bucket list!
Photo of Kerry Thomas

Kerry Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, this confirms what I've been thinking. I've googled the radiation patterns on parabolics, and I'm seeing like -25dB on the rear lobe. That's like 3/1000ths  the power going out to the satellite. Thanks everyone!
(Edited)