Blocked websites

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
I have used the Viasat browser successfully since its inception. Now, all of a sudden, I cannot log into citi.com. I can login to all my other financial institutions from this Viasat browser. I have disablied all extensions in the Viasat browser, but still cannot reach citi.com.
However, I can log into citi.com from Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE.
I called citi.com online technical support to trouble shoot this issue. They confirm that the Viasat browser is blocking the connection.
How do I fix this issue?
Thanks.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Peter

Peter, Viasat Browser Team

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hello M.E.M., 

Thanks for reporting this. I am unable to reproduce the problem as I am able to login to my citi.com account without issues using the Viasat Browser. Can you please send a feedback after you have reproduced the problem?

Thanks!

Peter
Photo of Peter

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
To report an issue in a way that will include diagnostic information that the Viasat Browser team can use to understand and hopefully fix the issue, first click the Viasat Browser icon here:

That will cause a menu to pop up and then click "Report a Viasat Browser Issue":

At that point a dialog will pop up asking you to describe the issue you just experienced.

In this case, please attempt to login to citi.com yet again and then when the problem happens click the Viasat Browser icon as I've described above. If you do that then the diagnostic information (including what platform you are on) that is sent along with the report will include information about the page that you just attempted to visit. Hope this helps.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Peter, Yes, I got it and did this several hours ago. Thanks.
Photo of Peter

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Just following up that we did receive your report. I will post any updates here. Thank you for providing this and helping us improve the browser.
(Edited)
Photo of Peter

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi M.E.M.,

I am seeing a couple things that I'd like to confirm with you:
1. it looks to me like you never actually reach the point where you submit your username/password. From the limited information I have, it looks like the login page itself (meaning the page where one would expect to enter username/password) never loads. Is that correct?
2. Do you have a Kaspersky extension installed? If so, is it also installed in Chrome when you have tested visiting https://online.citi.com/US/login.do with Chrome in the past?

Thanks for the info,

Peter
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Peter,
You are correct that the login page is not reached when using Viasat's browser to citi.com.
Chrome works properly even when the Kaspersky app is installed.
Viasat browser does not reach the login page whether Kaspersky app is or is not installed.
Thanks.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 96 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
fmj77 - We would be very interested in hearing about sites that were not working for you.  Could you please try Viasat Browser again and if you run into an issue, click the icon to the left of the URL bar to send a feedback.  Many times, disabling the ad blocker for a site can fix a rendering issue - did you try that?
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 96 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
M.E.M.  There is a Viasat  Browser icon to the left of the URL bar.  Left-click on it and send a feedback when you see a problem on a page.  If you leave your email address when submitting a feedback, the developers will get back to you with what they find out.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Thanks. Now I understand how to do it.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Will do. I'll re-install it and try again.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3922 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
M.E.M.

FWIW, holding down Ctrl + Shift + I (that's an "eye") will display the Developer tools that Peter mentions above. F12 may also display them.

One quick thing you might want to try and relatively painless (it has occasionally worked for me on Chromium variants such as the Viasat browser when pages display incorrectly or have bizarre errors previously not encountered but YMMV)...

When the Developer tools are displayed as described above, this also enables a hidden reload menu (why it's hidden I have no idea since it would be of use to non-developers also).

Click and hold down the normal reload button and it will show the following:

Try a Hard Reload as well as an Empty Cache and Hard Reload to see if it helps any. Looking at your screen capture it appears you're experiencing a cross site scripting error but the text on the tab is truncated (this error could be the result of an outdated script being cached).

Chrome and all Chromium variants have this hidden menu implementation for developer debugging purposes to help them assure the most recent versions of page elements are being used.

For an explanation, see:

https://fossbytes.com/chromes-hidden-reload-menu-normal-reload-hard-reload-empty-cache/

P.S. As you might guess from the above screen capture, I'm having no issues with Citi.com using the Viasat Browser although I do disable ad blocking for that site.

(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3922 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Any errors or warnings should show when you select Console to the left of the error/warning icons you've circled.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
OL,
Does this tell you anything?

Thanks.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3922 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
No, not in the context of what you're experiencing. The cross site scripting error I'm referring to partially shows in your original screen capture as "Server Error - Cross Site Sc..."

Hovering over it may display the full error in a popup tooltip. The full error may yield more info. That text is coming off of the page title element being produced by the Citi site - presumably they are detecting something on their server that may lead to the root cause. The site isn't blocked, per se, but simply yielding a server side error that they may have logged on their end. A novel way of providing an error (rather than just displaying it in the content), but at this point I've just about seen it all when it comes to developers...

If you didn't point that error out when previously contacting Citi, you may want to retry with them and point that out to them specifically - that it's an error they are producing and not that the page is blocked. They may be focusing on the "blocking" and that doesn't appear to be the case to me but I'm old and have likely forgotten more than they know. By mentioning "blocking" you may have given them an easy way to punt it to Viasat ;) 

This isn't to say that there's not something in Viasat browser or your environment that may be triggering it - but I'd still press Citi for an answer on why they're producing that very specific error in the title - as noted Citi's due diligence would be logging those errors and why since it could represent a hacking attempt targeting their server.

P.S. You don't happen to have any special characters in your username or password that could possibly be interpreted as javascript, do you? For example, I can produce the error including the uncaught type error, by using a javascript escape sequence embedded in my user name - e.g. <username> or even simply including a less than (<) or greater than (>) character as well as some others - in my case it's most definitely not a page not found error as the content misleadingly states.

It's also possible I suppose that something on your end (or Viasat's) is attempting to inject javascript into your login credentials or some other request. Regardless the jury's still out on this one. I'm also curious as to why my screen capture shows a bit differently than your - Citigroup Inc vs simply Secure on the certificate.          
(Edited)
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 148 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
OL,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject. My next step is to hear back from Browser Guys Peter and David after they analyze the information I sent them.
My password is composed of only numbers and letters. However it is curious that the Viasat browser's built in password manager has trouble remembering it. It saves a truncated one character version, which I continually have to correct. No other website has this problem that I know of.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3922 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Maybe try removing the saved credentials for that site or turn off auto sign-in by entering viasat://settings/passwords in the viasat browser address bar:

It's not really a feature that I use on any browser. I don't even let them offer to save credentials. One less thing that can go wrong. I think you can also edit the credentials from there.

(Edited)