Blistering 177 kbps 22 kB/s after modem update today.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
So I came back today from the store and noticed the modem was getting an update when I plugged it back in.  Everything loaded fine... Till about an hour ago.   I called in and spent about 25 mins for them to tell me it's network congestion and that's all.
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3121 Posts
  • 1776 Reply Likes

Yea.  I am running at 298 kbps tonight.  Not fun!

Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Is he from calif central valley? Installer here hadn't gotten setup from online subscription. Seemed odd that an automated signup, pay and set installation would leave the appointment part out. I looked up the nearest (as the blackbird flies) installer. Left voice mail, text and eekmail. He contacted and set for Sunday. I'd set a pole to save $$ but was off a few degrees and a 50' or so Juniper in way. Losing enough oak to SODS (odd that). UC Davis guesstimates a third to half of oak will come down. Why the huge ones always land on road? Raining too hard to start cutting/yanking safely. So he showed with trainee. They were quick, knew what they were about and no change. 200 to set post, run coax and tune. 

Seems Viasat2 has antenna array(s) aimed in middle of N. Atlantic. Covering tops of Canada, Alaska, all of Iceland and Greenland, Wales, Orkneys. Not a lot of ppl on the ground. Got to play heck with planned, or not, rollout missing large chunk of service. Integration and frantic scrambling will be going on for awhile. Maybe obsolete back scatter antenna could bend the beams to projected areas?  Man O man, wth did I want to ask?  

Is there a network map that might show why IP is making my location look like; 1)near Portland, OR, 2) top of California/bottom of Oregon, sometimes at coast, sometimes a few hundred miles inland. 3) Near Stockton/Sacramento, 4) Near Los Angeles, 5) Barely N of San Diego and finally 2 recent mind benders, 6) Kenai Peninsula, Alaska  and the oddest yet 7) German named town in N Manitoba. Data has traversed all these towns in less than a week. Some days will bounce every few hours. 

Meanwhile back in Orwellian take, Windows 10 is planned monitoring as are Google and Facebook. Viasat would need 15 year of inter-departmental warfare to approach then understand the concept. Most likely why Google has the browser for now. Cortana in 10 won't do diddly squat w/o live connection and Chrome co-branded Viasat is about the same. Using it to look for driver updates heads straight to loop w/o exit. 

Any recommendations on light resource using net monitor that won't double/triple counted data? Hit 9.6 dialup speed from the kenai route. Manitoba was nearly 14kbps. Happy happy (I'm lying) NoNo Joy. I put together internal tech help desk for early satellite comms at Purolator Courier and speeds available were miserable compared to current capabilities.  

How bad do solar activity months of May and October hammer Viasat? Too many questions, time to go see if I can sink suburban or rover in creek.
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 78 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
So much for viasat 2 solving this. Have they even put anyone on it? They should do mandatory transfers without having to switch plans and renew contract if that's what it takes.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 181 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
At this point I simply laugh when someone say viasat 2.
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Wonder who will eat bent antennas. My bet goes to Litton. They called Buzz Lightyear and he fell to ground laughing. 
Photo of James Chambers

James Chambers

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This happened to me the day after a tech was supposed to fix mine. I was getting 18's and 3-4 up. I think he untweaked my dish.
Photo of James Chambers

James Chambers

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The customer service is non existent, must have taken lessons from comcast. The guy that came out was in pajamas, or sweatpants, anywho I had to loan him tools. He was 5 days late. 2 days he didn't show up then I called in to reschedule. and the guy texted me at like 11:00 o'clock at night. No one on the phone ever helps. And forget chat, they are just sitting around their house sucking up money.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 50 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Same here, noticed drop in speed since update, must have been getting close to top speed, and you know we can't have that.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 741 Posts
  • 418 Reply Likes
177Kbps?  Ugh.  That's...um....AWFUL!!!  Is this on the Viasat 1 or Viasat 2?  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3121 Posts
  • 1776 Reply Likes
It would be Viasat-1. In over a month now, I gave only read of one or two people on here on Viasat-2.
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Well I'm up to Download :: 8.3 Mbps 1 MB/s .. Guess that's good enough.
Photo of David Ramos

David Ramos

• 21 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I feel your pain! Its always congestion!
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Well back to horrible speeds. Download :: 303 kbps 38 kB/s
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 284 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Everybody must have gone to bed, 8.8 down and 3.5 on Fast.com.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Nothing to complain about here. On the Bronze 12, all the party goers must be sleeping off their hangovers  ;-) 
Speed Test Result
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3121 Posts
  • 1776 Reply Likes
That usually happens after midnight, provided those left with the old free zones are not downloading batches of files :).
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 274 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
Viasat/Exede service has become garbage since the new bird became operational. So far, I have noticed zero improvements.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3121 Posts
  • 1776 Reply Likes
I have noticed a change. The speeds have gotten worse!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 741 Posts
  • 418 Reply Likes
I wonder why.  Coincidence?  As a result of something?  I feel for you.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2056 Posts
  • 1778 Reply Likes
It's just a coincidence.  People were saying speeds were improving when VS2 went online a while back.  Speeds vary all the time, today it's good, tomorrow it's bad.  It is Satellite internet remember...
(Edited)
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have noticed as well that speeds have not improved since Viasat 2. Fortunately, Spectrum (formally Time Warner Cable) has run lines to install service in our area. Not sure when they will be live but it should not be too long before we can get service. 
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 284 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
A few months ago, after getting my new modem and selecting the 25 mbps, 150 gig unlimited plan, i saw my speeds drop.  I had been on the 25 classic, midnight to 5 am free zone plan since going with Exede.  I adjusted my life schedule to fit the workings of my ISP and plan selection, it sucked but was necessary.

Teaching on line, it was imperative that i didn't run out of data, so I made it work, and honestly i turned a gig or more in every month.  I would normally have 2 or 3 gig on the last day and treat myself to watching a you tube jazz concert.

I also record music that i play and send it to a few of my band mates, so uploading has always been an issue but i worked this out also during the free zone.

Keeping a few laptops, and three desk tops updated with Norton and Microsoft was also scheduled and done during the free zone.  How much data did i really use during a month, i don't know, because i always had the free zone cushion.

When my modem started having a few issues and the new silver plan was announced, i decided instead of having to standby for a tech to check things out, spend a day with him and probably just change out my modem etc., i decided to just change my 25 classic to the silver plan.  I was really tired of managing every bit and byte of data, and now that the grand children are using the internet, give them a reasonable ability to do what they do at their own homes.

So they just sent me the modem, i installed it and back on line.  And for the most part my Silver plan has been good, not great but good.  But i immediately recognized that Viasat now had much more control of my data activity.

I posted something on here about it and was initially labeled a conspiracies, you know big brother is watching and controlling.  But as i hope most recognize that is exactly the reality of it.

Again, i am accomplishing all that i did before, sometimes a little slower, than i did with the Classic 25, but now i am not concerned about when updates are done, what and when i look at things on you tube, stream some DTV on demand shows , my wife downloads music, iPhone updates are done and plenty of data to let the grandchildren do their thing.(as of today i've used 90 gig of my 150 and it is my last day of the period, grand children will be here later, so even if they use 25 gig today, a stretch i will still give Visat 35 gig back)

So, i am satisfied with the silver 25 plan, i think it is delivering what it states, and for the 105 dollars, (includes taxes), not having a contract, my Viasat experience is good on a scale of 1 to 5, i'd give them a 3.7. 

But until they sort out V2, antenna's etc. and get the best of what they can things will not improve for everyone.  The plans being offered have significantly less priority data because they are finding they have to restrict users more and more to spread the bandwidth around.

The only hope we have to get a major improvement is for V2 to get straightened out.

Until then, yes make sure your dish is aligned, reboot your modem and computer weekly or as necessary (if you notice decreased performance) and don't let the INTERNET be the focus of every waking moment.

For those that are waiting for V3, deja vue all over again, but stay positive, technology and competition will eventually prevail.

Now go outside and get some sunshine and fresh air, Happy Easter :)
(Edited)
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 78 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I noticed that Viasat is advertising the Liberty Plans in my area again instead of Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
(Edited)