Bill cycle vs due date

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I’m a new Viasat customer and will be getting 2nd bill this month. My question/concern is the bill cycle date vs the due date for bill. I get the whole autopay from a company standpoint, but from a customer standpoint it doesn’t make much sense for the due date for a bill to be the same day as the bill cycle date. For instance, my bill cycle date is on the 12th of each month as is the refresh date for the priority data. My due date (the day my credit card is charged) is the same day. So my account is charged the same day that a bill is generated with very little to no time to adjust my finances. This is concerning as a new customer as satellite internet is the best option for this home. Every other bill I have, including those set up with autopay and pay in advance of services such as Viasat, give at the very least 1 week from the bill cycle date for the bill to be due and the card on file is charged. Why would Viasat not want to stay on par with this? That’s just poor billing practices
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • blah

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Should run while you still can far away from them , nothing but problems ahead in the future for the company and its users
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 420 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
First off many of us are 100% content with the service. However there’s a half dozen people on here that have apparently made it their life mission to constantly complain and bash Viasat. They are so passionate that even though many of them are no longer customers they still sign in here multiple times a day to make posts like the one above. With that said there is a simple way to pay your bill on your own terms. Simply supply a maxed out credit card as your payment method or a zero balance gift card and then you will get a few extra days to pay the bill manually without being disconnected. On the other side of the coin you said you usually get a weeks notice to pay a bill, well with Viasat you get a months notice or technically an indefinite notice because the bill is due the same day of the month, every month. So planning ahead shouldn’t be an issue.
(Edited)
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Other bills are “at least a week” notice from time bill is made to when it is due. With Viasat you get less than 24 hrs from the time the bill is made to when your card is charged. That’d be all well and great if the price were the same each month, however with promotions ending, taxes change, fees change and what not the bill amount will fluctuate. That’s not ok to have 24 hrs or less to pay the bill for the next month of service
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Your bill will not " fluctuate"  My bill NEVER changed in 0ver 2.5 years. Mark your due date on the calendar a week before it actually is and then you will trick yourself into thinking you have been given a weeks notice.  Or have your mom call you to remind you of your due dates for all your bills.
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No fluctuation huh? First bill was approx $35 more expensive than what the Viasat customer service rep has “estimated” for this month. Do taxes and fees change? Where I live they do quite frequently. Do promotions end? Yep. Do companies change their rates? Yep. My problem again is not the due date. My problem is simply the day that a bill is generated is the same day as the due date and until a bill is generated both Viasat reps and myself can only “estimate” what the actual amount of the bill will be.
For the rest of that comment, I’m a grown man sir and know how and when to pay my bills so please leave the snide smart ass remarks to the side. No need for it. Thanks for the reply
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You said it's on a credit card, not a debit card - shouldn't be an issue unless you max out your credit card and sounds like that's not the case.

But yeah, the practice does create issues for debit card users living paycheck to paycheck, while credit card users typically have a minimum of 3-4 weeks from receipt of the credit card bill. At the same time, credit card users have the opportunity to contest any charges.

Nobody really likes the policy, but it is what it is and suggestions to correct it have been ignored by Viasat for years. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
"Do taxes and fees change?"

No, they do not. 
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It is my bank card. I don’t use my credit cards to pay bills. I’m a paramedic, make a decent amount of money, but will never live life without the worry of money, always living paycheck to paycheck. After my screw ups of younger years I came up with a way for bills that works great for me. I created an excel spreadsheet that I’ve used for almost 15 years and have 2 main checking accounts, spending account and bill account. Bills with due dates and amounts on the spreadsheet, laid out in an easy to read format. Bills come in, I update amounts for the month in the spreadsheet. Every payday I go through the spreadsheet, add up all bills until next payday and transfer that amount of money to the bill account and pay all of the bills. Works great for every single bill I have, except for now Viasat. This is why I brought it up here. I’ve never, NEVER seen a company who will make a due date for a bill as the same day that said bill is generated. That is just ludicrous! I may be a bit OCD, but I haven’t been late on bills for almost 15 years. It doesn’t matter how people choose to budget or the system they use for paying bills. The simple point is that it is absolutely absurd to generate a bill for someone and make the due date the same day the bill is generated. Any way you slice it it’s an extremely poor billing/business practice that will need to be changed quickly to keep customers like myself.
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Jim, I challenge you to show me one place in this entire country where taxes never change and one business that has never adjusted their fee schedule. Just one, that’s all I ask.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You said "the day my credit card is charged".

Maybe your complaint will be the one that tips the scales, just don't count on it - it's one of the more frequent complaints here going back to the launch of Exede service with Viasat. Viasat will listen, just don't expect a change.

You're just getting started with your 2nd bill... hold on,  you're in for a bumpy ride. If that's the worst complaint you raise going forward, consider yourself lucky ;)

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
"Jim, I challenge you to show me one place in this entire country where taxes never change and one business that has never adjusted their fee schedule. Just one, that’s all I ask."

In the 2.5 plus years I had Viasat they never changed my fee and the taxes never changed on those fees.  There is something very wrong if you are telling us that your Viasat bill is changing every month and your taxes change every month.  Something very wrong.  You either had a "special" reduced bill for the first month or you bought extra data for the month or you are on a business plan that charges for overages. Something is very wrong with this complaint of yours. 
(Edited)
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Challenge failed. Enough with that. My 2nd bill is less than my first bill, yes, and the promotions will end in 3 months. Here, taxes change, fees change, in general, stuff can change. I’m sure they probably would send out a notice of fee or price changes, etc. in which I could plan for the next month. Not once did I say things change every month. I said things CAN CHANGE and if they do, ok they give me a notice. So even if things change they still can’t tell me how much my next bill will be before the due date due to that BILL BEING GENERATED ON THE DUE DATE. Sure I can ESTIMATE how much a bill will be, but for a company to set the due date for a bill as the same day the bill comes out is ludicrous. I’ve done everything short of spell this out in crayon so I’m not sure what you don’t understand and think is “wrong with the complaint”. Notice I’m not bashing Viasat or anything. Asking for advice and hoping someone might clear something up for me, but so far mostly keyboard warriors either bashing Viasat or bashing me. So, I’d like to keep the service, however, if this is truly the way in which they bill customers I can’t realistically foresee keeping my service with them for very long. As I’ve said several times now, it’s poor billing practices to do the above things I typed in all caps just so it’d stand out, since apparently it’s not clicking.
Last, if you’d like to keep the bashing up you’ll find that you’re in for a treat. However, I’d really like to keep from going down that road so if we can have a helpful conversation that would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
I'm afraid no one will be able to help you. You have created a problem that does not exist.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 420 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Perhaps if you consider that Viasat is a PRE-PAY service for the most part you may better understand how they bill. On the other hand I’m not sure how taxes could fluctuate enough to effect a bill spreadsheet to the degree you’ve made it out to be. My bill is exactly the same every month except for the month they collect personal property tax which raises it less then $5. $5 isn’t going to make me go hungry. And you’ve largely ignored the solution I provided to you initially. It would give you the buffer you so desperately want.
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, I ignored using a maxed out credit card or gift card. No one should have to do that for paying their bills. Prepay ok, as I said I get that with the whole auto pay thing, however, for there to be no buffer time between the day a bill is generated and the day payment is due and your payment method is charge is not ok, even when the bill amounts settle and nothing changes. If nothing changes then hooray I won’t worry, however I’ve been caught several times with other prepay services that a bill did change and I did not catch it in time, causing overdraft fees that I had to jump through tooth and nail to try and get refunded. That’s what I’m afraid of, if there is a change, which the potential is clearly there and already happening in the first 3-4 months of service, that I have no buffer between the bill generation date and the due date of them charging my card. That’s unacceptable
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 216 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I don't get it.
You know your billing date is the 12th.

On the 13th you know you have 29-30 days before your card gets hit again.
Don't know how that could be improved upon...
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
See my reply above. Yes the due date is the same, that’s awesome. What’s not awesome is being 24 hrs or less from time bill is made to your card being charged. That’s horrible
Photo of Get Nosatisfaction

Get Nosatisfaction

• 7 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I continue to be amazed why people sign up for Viasat in the first place. Do your homework people!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3429 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Hi Zacary

We're actually working on sending out better notification on billing to give longer notice. I don't have a ETA on when that will happen but that is something we're wanting to have out sooner than later (just a few hoops to get through)

Typically speaking though if you don't change anything on your plan, if you don't use directory service (if you have voice), or buy more data your bill will be the same amount each month on the same due date. You might be on a 3 month promo you can see it itemized on account.viasat.com 

Very fair point and we are working on it.

As far as cycle date/bill date. That first couple of days are weird, you may have 2 cycles just so it aligns right but moving forward your billing date and data cycle date are on the same day we can always change it.
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Update:
Today is 4-10-19. My next bill is due on 4-12-19, which is the same day the generate the bill. So here I am two days before the due date/bill generation date and I have no idea how much my bill is. To think that is good billing practices is just insanity.