Best speeds so far of anything I have had.

• Praise
  • Updated 9 months ago
Loving the new speeds. Looky Here. 
This makes me so Happy I have to sit on my hands to keep from clapping.

Check your speeds here and see if they compare.
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
  • happy

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
What site is it?  Is this Verizon or Viasat (cough, cough)?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2231 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
I couldn't get that test to give me an accurate result.  It was wildly off.  Interestingly enough, when I would try to select a server that was near my gateway, it would give me a message that it couldn't connect to the server.  Weird.  
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
It also depends on what server you are using. I always try to choose one closest to me no matter what it says where I am. Experiment and choose different servers. Keep in mind the ping times, the lower the ping the better the results. I just did 4 tests with 4 different servers and Atlanta came out the winner. But the results always shows I am in New Mexico. Can't go by the ip address.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2231 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
I tired it numerous times.  It just doesn't like my ISP.  I can't choose a server as it won't let me due to it constantly saying that it couldn't connect to the server.  It's sort of a redundant message, especially when you can't choose one if it can't first connect to the one it chooses for you.  I gave up.  

With that said, it's nothing new.  Neither Speedtest, nor the new app TestIT mentioned in another thread, like my ISP.  Heck, DSLReports won't even run correctly.  I figure satellite internet is satellite internet, and if they all work for ViaSat, they should work for mine, too (HughesNet), even with the subtle differences.  I think it's the compression that HughesNet uses that tripping them up.  Testmy works just fine, though.  
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 84 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
incredible. I install viasat but have cable. Even My cable internet (100/100) doesnt hit those speeds (average 20/5)

Awesome for you Dave!!!

Photo of Albert Davis

Albert Davis

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Dave what plan are you on if you don't mind sharing that.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I am sure it is the Gold plan on Viasat-2.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
That is why I think people should always post at least their state and, at a minimum, what plan. People researching can look at a post like this and leave whatever ISP they have because of these posted speeds, and a big shock they would be in for. This is far from normal for probably 90% of Viasat users (stat pulled out of thin air). It is actually offensive for customers on 329, who have for over 5 yrs have been getting horrible speeds, and no relief in site. I can't even do a speed test at night.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Agreed. Customers in a high density spot beam (which are few and far between), will have a completely different experience.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I agree that anybody posting a speed test needs to list their exact location. I was on the famous beam 329, 40 miles NW of Richmond Virginia. The service dropped up to a dozen times a day up to two hours at a time, even during good weather. Often I had speeds far south of 1mb. Sometimes simple tasks like online shopping for business supplies that take most people minutes on the internet took an hour or more, because of drop outs and error messages.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Al - I am close to the location you were. I am 10 miles west of Montpelier. Service reliability is good, the speeds from 4p on are terrible. Seeing others in the same area posting their evening speeds on the lIberty plans isn't showing anything much better so why should I change away from the Freedom plan?  I am looking for someone that can put a wireless antenna on my roof to see if I can get better Verizon access. If yes, then I will go down the prepaid unlimited path. I am no longer an advocate for Viasat
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Have you had anyone try Verizon Wireless at your house without a booster? I am a little less than 3 miles away from a Verizon tower in Chilesburgh. I have to go 1/4 mile from my house to get a solid 5 bar signal on my cell, at my home and shop the cell signal bounces between 0-3 bars even if you do not move. In spite of that the Verizon Jetpack never drops out and usually is no worse than 3mbs and as high as 12mbs usually testing in the 8-10 range. It is pretty strange how moving it even a couple feet in the house or shop can effect speeds. The Verizon people say the Jetpack has a much stronger antenna than a cell phone.

I thought since my cell service had declined a little since moving here 8 years ago no way Verizon Wireless Internet would work as I had tried AT&T wireless a few years ago and it was useless. I figure I would need a booster. Since Verizon pretty much gave me a no risk 14 day trial I gave it a shot. I am more than pleased. A lot of that has to do with VIASAT being so bad. VIASAT was so bad for me I actually was considering getting DIAL-up as a back up, till I saw how bad the Dial-up service is here at a neighbor's house.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Al - I am 1 to 3 bars Verizon, resting. If I ask it to do anything it stays at 1. For the antenna, I was hoping it would help the cell service so I could drop a full blown land line to a base land line, and maybe it would also help the data side of things. It sounds like you are saying I should try the mifi?
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I am on the Gold 50 unlimited.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I am testing a Verizon mifi solution now. Too early to tell as I am in very early stages. But so far I am liking what I am seeing.
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Keep us informed if you would....
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 482 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
Still no reply on what speed site this was measured on

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
My speed test using nPerf and Speedtest both came up with an average less than 3.0 Mbps download and .85 upload at 11:30am. (Beam 329 VA; Freedom 12).
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Mine on nPerf at 11:50AM (329 Fred. VA, Liberty 12 Mbps):

(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Even when times are good my upload has always been 1.0 or less. My latency is always 650 or above.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Tough to figure it all out. Don't go by the better figures those appear to be the best during the test rather than average - I saw lot of "wild" fluctuation while the test was running suggesting at least some level of network congestion. (De)prioritization with preemptive queuing can yield dramatically lower speeds if you get stuck in the back of the line for any period of time as each request is queued. 

Trying to be objective but if in your shoes (and I'm not), Liberty 12 or 25, save a few bucks each month and put it toward evaluating a Verizon prepaid option - but don't know what you're paying for that Freedom plan or what you'd save. I'll be evaluating them in the spring despite satisfaction with the Liberty plan I'm on - but for me it will be more a preemptive strike.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Your Jitter looks much better than VZW's Jitter

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
One test result means little and I don't know anything about that test's methodolgy or its accuracy - I was providing Spinninghorse with a direct comparison of Freedom and Liberty on the same beam within 20 minutes using the same test. She's  one of those trying to determine whether she should switch to Liberty plan from Freedom. She's also got access to  my complete test results from February 11 through 24 which include both while under priority data and on Liberty pass. I gave her some food for thought unless your saying I should stick with Viasat due to better jitter ;) Yourn average latency still beats mine.
(Edited)
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Hey Jab
Mine has so much jitter that I had to glue the dang modem down to the desk to keep it from falling to the floor.   
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Look at test it shows his location in texas 

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
The inaccuracy of geolocation databases from which that information is typically obtained has been discussed here at length. More inaccurate for satellite since our physical presence is logically speaking our gateway or core node Folks should specify their location when posting speed test results (specify beam if known, plan and data usage status are al;so useful for comparing against others)

HomeDepot.com thinks I'm in Salt Lake CIty based on their geolocation provider, I'm in Virginia. My core node is in SLC. Once I select a store and as long as keep their cookies, they know where I am.

Lowes does a better job, I only have to drive about 50 miles to the one they think I'm near until I select the one 3 miles away.

It can also be influenced by your browsers location sharing features if enabled or  your device if it shares its GPS info.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2120 Posts
  • 1287 Reply Likes
It's funny that the test site's chosen server probably couldn't have been any further away from my gateway location than if I tried to choose it that way, which I can't, as it won't let me.  My gateway's in Washington.  It chose one in Miami.  LOL.  

Another interesting thing is that it takes well over a minute for it to finish "loading the nperf plugin".  Apparently that test (site) really hates HughesNet.  
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
WE ALL DO... lol
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
First picture IP address shows its coming for Carlsbad California 

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
IP addresses 75.104.0.0 - 75.107.255.255 are registered to Viasat, which is headquarter in Carlsbad.

My current ip address falls in the range 184.20.0.0 - 184.21.255.255 similarly registered to Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Casual Observer

You suggested I sign up at DSL Reports.  Good call.
I was finally able to get signed up.  Finally?  Yea, my FireFox security was messing things up a bit.  Now I need to figure out that ignore thing... Dr. Strangelov?   Since this is a speed-test thread, here's the field test of my next ISP... No data caps.
I think I'll like it.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
You can send The Walrus a message at:

https://www.dslreports.com/instant

I'll answer any questions you may have, unless I ignore you ;)

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Looks like I would like that too! Nice you found that for a better option J&J, how is the price on that compared to Viasat if you don't mind me asking? 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Are you Judge and Jury on DSLReports too?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Terry Hill

My radios, $999.00 each from Ubiquity Networks, and then $76.00 a month.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Are you Judge and Jury on DSLReports too?
No.  From my description of the sign-up process, you'll know who I am after i post something.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Lot of good info over there. Not a lot of activity, but a lot of knowledge on various types of internet.

So you will be moving on from Viasat I take it :)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Yes.  The 4 wheel drive tractor with the auger can't go up there yet.. too slippery from the rain but it can be towed by a caterpillar to drill the hole for the pipe since I can't put up a tower for the antennas. I don't think I can get it all done before ViaSat takes me for another $149.96 (Mar.4th) but that will be the last time I experience getting bent over a barrel by them.  I'll call Brad personally to say goodbye and wish him well, he isn't the one doing this to everybody. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Viasat loses another strong proponent.

In the end there can be only one. His name is Stephen.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 291 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
I am just waiting to find out the best Verizon mifi to get, then I will test out that option.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Yup wet like that here on the east coast to, all it does is rain. Hope you can get it done but as you said time is short to be getting it done by the 4th. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse. The 6620L is a solid unit. The 8000 series is the newest. I heard the 7000 maybe not as good.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Hmm... It's raining right now.  It's a big project, place pole, wait for concrete to harden, place old refrigerator for equipment, batteries, solar panels, downhill pointed dishes to get data from up there to down here,  go buy a Silicon Dust  tuner (might as well get TV while I'm at it).   

It's a serendipity, I was up there looking around at the possibility of bribing a ViaSat installer to put a VS-2 system in up there and just relay everything down but, I looked over at Loma Prieta and thought, I wonder who's up there? and lo-and-behold it turns out there's a few ISP's that use that mountain either as a relay or direct service.

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 291 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Thank you, VeteranSatUser. I wasn't impressed with the reviews on the 7720, so wasn't sure what to do. I do not have a SIM and people say 'go to Verizon to get a SIM'. Do you just ask them for one without getting a plan or do you have to get a plan to get a SIM? Does a SIM cost something? 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The SIM is free!

Buy a 6620L off Ebay. Order a prepaid "unlimited" plan on Verizon's prepaid plan website. They FedEx you a SIM in 2 days!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes

@J&J

You mean here?  Decent sized towers there, about four or so. LigoWave has some nice equipment for point to point...but $$$.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
That's the place.  I support local businesses, like Ubiquity.  I have a ton of their stuff, it's about all I use. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Loma Prieta Earthquake: 25 years later

Were you around, back then?  Interesting areas nearby, Felton, Scotts Valley, etc...real estate off the charts.  I suspect around Braemoor Dr Santa Cruz, CA 95060, off Empire Grade,  would be a good location for a wireless carrier, if home overlooked valley below.  Nice place to be when the fog rolls over Santa Cruz...above the clouds.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
I was close-by.  I saw a 500KV substation at the Moss Landing Power Plant fall down.
Yea, a few sparks and dirt that turned into glass from the falling wires.  Not what you expect to see on a drive to the coast.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2120 Posts
  • 1287 Reply Likes
Is the Loma Prieta quake the one where the double decker roadway collapsed?  I remember that very well, as do a lot of people.  It's one of the most memorable incidents from that earthquake.   
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
That was it.  On that freeway that day at that time, the best place to be in a car would have been right next to a fully loaded lumber truck.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
News accounts focused upon the 'how terrible' events, but did not cover home perspective in general.  Watsonville got creamed harder due to liquefaction
but overall house damage in all affected areas was not discussed in news I'm aware of.

Since that time, codes were updated, but it seems older single story wooden framed houses on flatish land faired well. Water heaters, etc., got tossed around, but few of these houses were condemned. I suspect most of the old timers, who were fully aware, have moved out of that area when retired, due to taxes, taxes, and taxes.

I found it interesting a new "mini" shopping mall with apartments went up: Aptos Village ....its an old idea, where shops are on main floor, and apartments above.

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 291 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Following up on the Verizon prepaid route, I remember on the other thread that brought about this discussion about a Verizon account. Do I need to use a separate (new) account, separate from my long time existing Verizon account?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
If speaking of the newer Tablet and Jetpack Prepaid Plans, I don't think so if your existing account is postpaid as I read it.

The following describes the ins and outs but one of our Verizon reps will be along shortly to assist you ;)

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-overhauls-prepaid-introducing-unlimited-data-plans-for-jetp... 

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Honestly, I bought the prepaid through my account, but it doesn't show on my account portal.

But no, you do not need an account. When you sign up you can create one if need be.

Thank you for contacting Verizon tech support on this forum, have a nice day!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Its 7:20 EST and Im on the 100 mbpsplan and using the 2.4ghz wireless network on my wifi since my old laptop dont support 5ghz and my speed was a little over 84 mbps both times I tested it
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Just think. Your speed is over 280 times faster than mine during primetime sometimes.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Oh 5ghz when I test on speedtest app on phone right now at 8:07 its 108 mbps! highest speed I seen was 148 mbps
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That is just crazy. What is your general location. There isn't that make high density beams around. I don't think the northeast has any.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
North central Florida viasat1 beam went into South Georgia, But this viasat2 beam I dont think it does if it does it dont go into Georgia much!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@mferner

For around $30.00, one might consider buying this adapter: USB WiFi (AC1200 MU-MIMO USB 3.0 Adapter: EW-7822UTC)....to get the Krack update, one must use their site.

It may or may not make a difference...@ 5GHz...it has MIMO ability, 802.11n, which your VS-2 modem has also...I'd have to check specs to see if VS's modem has 802.11ac.

EW has drivers for 32bit and 64bit windows...Win7 and above, I believe.  I'd have to see your laptop specs, but most important is having the right drivers.

I'd disregard those negative remarks elsewhere....
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Jab My net is fast enough on this laptop as long as my speed is at least 5 mbps or so Im happy, As long asvideos play fine! So I have no need right now for USB wifi adapter! But thanks
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
At least 5Mbps. Lol.

I wish I could get that :)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

What, you didn't know Exede-5 was fast?  Really fast....I'd like to see someone on VS-2 beat my "record"

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2160 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
160.5Mbps... Can you imagine? 

I love it when it has a hiccup.  I got upwards of 400+Mbps one time last summer.  I've seen 1200Mbps from another person.   
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
160Mbps @ 12MB payload can't be done...160Mbps was the speed of the "proxy."

Testmy.net has improved since then, but here's another fake VZW speed test I did...impossible

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2160 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
Exactly.  That's why you know it's not real.  Even if the 160.5Mbps result were real, it's impossible on a 12MB test.  

The second test, however, though not real, is possible, as the 25MB test doesn't forward in size.  Not real for that service, I just mean in practice.    
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse I use the 7730L I got refurb unit and its great it rebooted just once in over a month but that was because it took an update here is pcmag review on it https://www.pcmag.com/review/351673/verizon-jetpack-mifi-7730l
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Yesterday speed were really bad, but today they are back to good.
Tested at https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/ 

Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

(Edited)
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
No complaints on my internet, been doing real well. Wish everyone else could enjoy this! 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Gold or Platinum plan?

High density spot beam coverage is what Viasat now needs to be competitive in the marketplace. Unfortunately, they don't have that at this time.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Cindy....Those on VS-1 with 150GB plans have been throttled down, so in effect, their primetime hours suck royally.  Those on other, but smaller data plans on VS-1 and augmented beams were not affected to may awareness.  Hence, this moaning/groaning seen here in past several months is related to a policy change for these users, who were offered to change their 150GB plan to a lower GB plan in order to receive better speeds.

@Vet...competitive in the marketplace

There's no competition in areas with only two choices...aka satellite...they know they have the market to themselves.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Cindy..."I'm not in 2.. I'm on 25 mbs silver, 150 gb unlimited, I rarely use 30 of that but I don't want to change my plan!"

Wait-n-See, if you live in one of these states, AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, MT, NM, OR, PA, UT, WA, WI, WY, and WV, I suspect those CAF-II pilgrims will be reducing your bandwidth more/more with time.