Best router?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
What’s the verdict on the best router? I see netgear, linksys and asus all recommended here, but all the posts are 8 months old. Any updates? Thanks

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: What is most effective in increasing wifi range?.
Photo of Mike Schwaab

Mike Schwaab

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 844 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
Depends what you want. Functionality? Range? Features?
Photo of Mike Schwaab

Mike Schwaab

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes increasing the range for a reasonable download speed of 40-50 mbs. And something that’s easy to set up. Thanks
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 257 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
In general terms for non techies, spend a little more than $80, avoid any install media included & read (follow) directions and you should be good.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 844 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
40 or 50Mbps? Do you have Viasat? If you do, unless you are on a Gold or Platinum Viasat-2 plan, no router is going to give you those speeds.
Photo of Mike Schwaab

Mike Schwaab

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I’m on Viasat gold
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 842 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
But am what are your up to speeds? Not all Gold plans are created equal.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1943 Posts
  • 1199 Reply Likes
For brands, I'd say Netgear or Asus.  Both are very good.  Just about any dual band router today is going to provide the throughput (speed) you're looking for, though your actual internet speed isn't going to be any higher than your internet source provides.  As well, your devices, and the network speeds they are capable of, may come into play, as well.  This is especially the case if they can only connect via the 2.4Ghz band.  
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 354 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
About 8 or 9 months ago I purchased a Linksys, Triband, AC 4000, 4 Gbps router.

I have a very large home and the router was excellent, a strong 4 bar signal on all devices from the treadmill in the basement, iphones, laptops on first floor and three desk tops on the 2nd floor.

I even got 3 or 4 bars sitting outside next to the pool.(about 80 feet from the router)

Self configuring, app for your phone and a website to make any adjustments.

I don't remember what i paid for it (150-175), I now have FIOS and am using FIOS range extenders in my home.

I highly recommend this router or any followup to this model.

Check out the current price and contact me I could give you a deal, and it is sure to be head and shoulders above the Viasat modem/router.

Installation is as simple as plugging it in, we could discuss any details as necessary.

As with all computer/digital technology, every 6 months or so a better device is developed, but this one is excellent.

This or another similar (of same specs), standalone router will significantly improve your wifi network.

Remember, a router does not increase, your overall Mbps from your ISP (Viasat), but it provides the ability to allow multiple devices to access the internet thru the connection that your ISP provides and maximizes the signal to all of your devices.  This router will not be the weak link in your wifi home network, the overall speed should be the same as what your main computer gets, even if it is connected with an ethernet cable.

Good luck.
(Edited)