Being throttled at night despite being on non-throttled plan (Freedom 150 plan)

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I am on the Freedom 150GB plan which means I'm not supposed to be throttled down until after I exceed 150GB's in a month.  I work from home and run a virtual desktop over the internet which requires better than average speeds.  For several months the service ran fine.  The last 3 months the service is unusable at night.  I disconnect every thing and do all the steps they advise with no improvement.  I've been recording my download speeds for the last month.  By 9pm CST every night the download speed is under 1GB.  By morning it's back to 20MB plus.  I've also shut everything off before testing to make sure I don't have a rouge app or device that kicks in at night.  It appears to be the service.  Although my plan says I'm not supposed to be throttled until I exceed 150GB it appears the network is over saturated in the evenings and I get throttled anyway.  So technically they are not purposely throttling my downloads, they've just oversold the solution.  I have opened a support ticket via email to see how they will respond.  Is anyone else seeing the same thing or have idea's?
Photo of Trevor Distad

Trevor Distad

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated and disappointed

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 363 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
It sounds like you're just experiencing primetime congestion on your beam. Very normal for many of us unfortunately.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1037 Posts
  • 634 Reply Likes
Like fmj77, it sounds to me like it's congestion, which a lot of people experience, especially in the late evenings.  If it is congestion, there's really not a whole lot you can do about it.   :(  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3606 Posts
  • 2106 Reply Likes
I agree with the two champions above. It is congestion plain and simple. I get around 500kbps during primetime on an unthrottled Freedom plan. I have even seen speeds BELOW the throttled level when still having plenty of data left for the month.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Let me see if I understand the original comment. The original poster is complaining about being throttled but he understands his slower speeds aren't due to throttling? My head hurts.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 84 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Saturday nite here we go again viasat
Photo of Trevor Distad

Trevor Distad

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the comments.  I received a call from a Support Tech yesterday.  Her suggestion was to move to move to the new Satellite which requires a new 2 year agreement.  Anyone have feedback on that service or know if that service has less congestion at night?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
I wouldn't switch to Viasat 2 unless they let your existing plan.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
If his existing plan isn't working for him then it would make total sense to switch to VS2.....who cares how much data you have IF you can't use it. 

Trevor. Your best bet is to move to the new satellite. Will it experience similar congestion in the future? Who knows. Hopefully by the time congestion might start rearing its ugly head, VS3 will be online. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3606 Posts
  • 2106 Reply Likes
It is sad though the answer is to move to a different satellite. That is not solving the problem that Viasat-1 has. A problem created by Viasat by selling these "unlimited" plans which in turn made congestion worse, all in an effort to generate more revenue as the customer base continues to shrink.
(Edited)
Photo of Bee Bear

Bee Bear

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
New here. We had Hughes through Frontier communications and it was really, really, really, slow. I was hoping for better. We live where Satellite is our only choice. Now I'm worried we made a mistake. We were so happy with it..only had it for 3 days. MUCH faster..now you say that is not the real Viasat. ooooh :(
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2822 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
Have you already used all your priority data? Explain more about what you think is wrong with Viasat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 633 Reply Likes
It's a little hard to decipher your post.  So you had HughesNet, which was really slow, and you subsequently moved to ViaSat, which you've had for three days and which you were happy with, but are now not?    

What happened that made you, after three days, change your mind about your happiness with ViaSat?    

"Much faster..now you say that is not the real ViaSat."  If you have ViaSat you have the real ViaSat.   There's no fake or faux ViaSat.  
Photo of Bee Bear

Bee Bear

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No haven’t used all my data...yes all seems good ..yes still happy...I said I was WORRIED that I had made a mistake because of all the negative comments here about overselling and congestion...and it made me wonder if down the line I will be back to Hughes net type internet. I did not actually think there was another fake Viasat.
I fully understand that because we are quite rural internet is not going to be on urban quality...a small price to pay to be able to live here. I do now understand the difference between throttling and congestion. I believe we are on VS2 so congestion will be less for now.
I was hoping to bring out some positive comments about the company ..I know historically there is more incentive to complain than commend...
So thanks for your comments and here’s to a long and happy relationship with Viasat. We are not heavy users so I am confident. :j
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2822 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
Bee Bear, if you have the white triangular modem, you are on VS2. That being the case, then you should not be seeing any problems with congestion for a while, since there are not that many subscribers on VS2 yet. Hopefully Viasat has learned not to oversell he beam you are on, after the disastrous experience they have created on several of the VS1 beams.

Don't be discouraged by some of the comments you see on this forum, or on the Facebook page, as like all product reviews, those who are dissatisfied with their service will come on strong and make their thoughts known, while the majority of customers do not even comment of the forum. Viasat has in excess of 650,000 subscribers, most of whom are satisfied and don't comment on their service, while only several hundred are on here with their not so positive remarks.

I have been with Wildblue, then Viasat, for 10 years, and I have had nothing but great internet service. Enjoy your Viasat internet, I know I do.
Photo of Bee Bear

Bee Bear

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No haven’t used all my data...yes all seems good ..yes still happy...I said I was WORRIED that I had made a mistake because of all the negative comments here about overselling and congestion...and it made me wonder if down the line I will be back to Hughes net type internet. I did not actually think there was another fake Viasat.
I fully understand that because we are quite rural internet is not going to be on urban quality...a small price to pay to be able to live here. I do now understand the difference between throttling and congestion. I believe we are on VS2 so congestion will be less for now.
I was hoping to bring out some positive comments about the company ..I know historically there is more incentive to complain than commend...
So thanks for your comments and here’s to a long and happy relationship with Viasat. We are not heavy users so I am confident. :j