• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • very disappointed

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
What are plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Spawn 78

Spawn 78

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
8 of every month

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
I ask again. What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Spawn 78

Spawn 78

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 533 Posts
  • 207 Reply Likes
Your "throttled" speeds look like my "unthrottled" speeds when I had Viasat.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 500 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
But you are getting up to 12Mbps so whats the problem....sarc
Photo of Spawn 78

Spawn 78

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Look at some of the time before 5 pm
Photo of Spawn 78

Spawn 78

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The 8th of every month is the beginning of the cycle
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1430 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
Welcome to satellite internet hades. It’s where people who expect decent service go when they die and weren’t good.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1430 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
I was good here on this earth. This is internet heaven....

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 697 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
I always wonder why people dump DSL for satellite, it rarely is a good move. Is it the Viasat commercials that say it is 3x faster than slow DSL or does their DSL provider not properly maintain the equipment causing constant outages.

I hear a lot of complaints about DSL these days. It was very reliable when I had it, but that was when it first came out 25 years ago. I am assuming some providers haven't done much to maintain that aged equipment and are not proactive, just waiting to repair breakdowns, instead of heading off trouble before it starts.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 406 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
So Bradley, who is your ISP now?

Did you move or FIOS or cable was extended to your home/business?

It is shame that even when SAT is considered pretty good; it is still weak.  Most of the speeds posted here that are almost unusable are just for one or possibly two users in a household trying to do a little surfing, email, shopping etc.

Having been a prior 150G Silver customer and being throttled 24-7 I feel the pain of those still having to endure Viasat.  When so much of the country can now pay less than 100 dollars a month resulting in: Default streaming at 1080, no buffering, wireless security systems, everyone in the house surfing, school work, music, video's at the same time, and no obvious congestion at any time of the day.

The shift has been from downloading to just a streaming environment today and with piss poor SAT speeds and data concerns too many people can't take advantage of all the opportunities afforded by today's internet system and a real broad band ISP.

Hopefully there will be some relief in the not too distant future for SAT customers.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
I had to move unfortunately. I had no cell service and only satellite for an internet option. When Viasat neutered my silver unlimited, I made up my mind to move on. It’s a personal decision as living in the sticks has its advantages. For me the pros of moving outweighed the cons. Not sure if I’ll have regrets when Musk finally sorts rural opportunities out.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Different strokes for different folks I guess. A neighbor of mine couldn't care less about internet. Never has. He might use data on his phone to pay a bill occasionally or to get somewhere with Google maps. Other than that he doesn't have much use for it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1519 Reply Likes
Surprisingly, or maybe not, there are quite a few people who still don't use the net, or only use it very little.  Most of them tend to be older people, of course, but it's still a somewhat significant number.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Here’s a newer breakdown.

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/33-mi...

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
The ironic part is that my neighbor used to work as an IT manager. He knows computers and technology. He just has very little use for it in his retired life.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
I guarantee 99.9% of the United States does not have 4Mbps or higher internet.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
That 10% of people not online is a lot higher than I thought. I have personally only known one household that hasn't been online in the last 20 years. That is my girlfriend's mom and she is 85.

I have minimal needs but I must have internet to do business. Most of my business is conducted by E-mail. Also it is a rarity if a place I order business supplies from has catalogs available, everything is on a website only. Many of the instruction manuals for the machinery I operate has to be download in PDF and printed out yourself. When my Viasat was out I was a constant visitor to the public library. I had not been in a library in 15 years. I bet the internet age really cut down on library patrons.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Might be people like my dad. He’d say he doesn’t use the internet at all. He just has mom look stuff up for him. ;)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Yea. I not sure I buy that number. Are you saying 38 million dont have a mobile device either? If you have a smart phone, you use the internet.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Might be people like my dad. He’d say he doesn’t use the internet at all. He just has mom look stuff up for him. ;)

That sounds like a friend's dad who would come down and work for me part time in winters from 1995-2010. He was born in 1937 and would always complain about people playing on computers and the internet, yet he was constantly asking me to look up sports scores, the local fishing reports and get him maps.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
That number seems high to me as well considering practically everyone has a smartphone these days. Even my 82 year old neighbor has one and occasionally will use it in town to pay a bill or google something. He hasn't owned a home computer though in over 10 years.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Hopefully there will be some relief in the not too distant future for SAT customers.

I think that is wishful thinking, it will take some time to work the bugs out of the new technology and get all the networking set up.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
SpaceX successfully launched another 60 satellites today, bringing the Starlink constellation to around 240. They plan on conducting launches every 2 weeks and state that service could begin with as little as 800 satellites in orbit.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Still a ways to go. Would take about 6 months if everything goes well. That is to just get them up there. Then testing, gateways, etc.. Maybe by 2022.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 406 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
And that will potentially bring some relief for current sat users.

I haven’t researched this just logic and what I have observed about internet users.

Older internet users probably still using a desktop.
Those working from home also comprise a large portion of desktop users.

I have two, one for teaching from home and the other for producing music, running pro tools etc.

Younger users laptops, iPads and other notepad type computers

This can range from kids using iPads; playing games watching YouTube etc. to students doing research home work and playing games.

Laptops and iPads for college students.

Laptops with Microsoft office / windows o/s. For college and high school students.

The one thing in common is that most all of them have a cell phone and the majority are now smart phones.

Because of the capability of cell phones to just about do it all, a convergence (to cell phones) has/is taking place, and has really reduced the demand for desktops and even laptops except for those noted above.

I don’t know the numbers, but just look around cell phones are everywhere and because of all the software applications that have been developed are used continuously around the clock.

The demand for internet service, bandwidth increases daily.

All technologies are needed to meet the demand.

And for the time being, most users above have streaming speeds without any concern for tracking or caring about data usage

So hopefully the low orbiting sat will help those that will most likely not have cable or fios available.