Before you subscribe to Viasat-Exede unlimited plan

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

This is what speeds to expect with Viasat unlimited silver plan. Calling them to fix does no good. Been going on for over 6 months

Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
  • ripped off

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
The latency is only 1/10th of what it should be. Try another test site. Not saying that you aren't experiencing slow speeds, it's just that when ONE number is off it can cause the others to be questioned as well. 

Andy
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
The latency on that test is always wrong.  In all the times I've used it, which, admittedly, is not that many, it's always given a latency result that is far too low.   And you're right.  If the latency is that off, how off might the rest of it be?  

(Edited)
Photo of terry

terry

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Mmm, so where are your numbers? Only see black?
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Some of the others I couldn’t get them to even start but got this one to work.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Try testmy.net. I consider it the gold standard for testing satellite internet.

BTW., those numbers are dismal.
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Ok
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That's about what I was seeing earlier this evening. I think my lowest test was 60kbps.

I am from eastern Ohio. A very loaded beam. What is your general location?
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Oklahoma but right now we got some storms moving in.
Doesn’t explain the other six months it’s been this way.
I have had techs out about 4-5 times after pulling teeth with customer service to get past the “power cycle the modem speech” running at about 7 dB on signal, had 9 way back for a few weeks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
When over your priority data or all the time? Hooked up directly to the modem or via wifi?

Speeds in Oklahoma shouldn't be that bad.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2789 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
I was wondering the same thing. How much data have you used this month and what is your unlimited limit?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I see mobile tests, no hard wired directly to the modem. Even during cloudy weather, with SNR hovering around 5, I average 16-18 Mbps. Sometimes 12 Mbps during peak hours but, now the kids are back in school so things will get good about 9 PM again instead of midnight.

Now go over your Priority allotment and, yes prime time especially can be really slow but, early morning to early afternoon should be okay even then.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 372 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes

Silver 25, well within my priority data, during the day time.

Speeds vary from 1 Mbps, mostly 2 or 3 during prime time to the above.

Fast.Com, regardless of Mbps 860 to 1.1.
(Edited)
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 178 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Fast.com is owned by Netflix. They advertised that their speed results are customized to determine d/l rates while streaming videos.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Official Response
First and foremost GE please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com . we want to look at this for you. If you're not past a data point something is clearly worth looking at by us.

Secondly on the note of speed test sites,  this is a topic I'm personally researching for a future blog post so maybe later in the week something more fleshed out will be available but I can  sort of weigh in on what I'm finding so far.

Currently as a company we're recommending for the time being to test with http://speedtest.via-satellite.net/  this test is specifically set up to test a satellite connection and accounts for the high latency our service has where as some speed test sites algorithms especially with speedtest.net which will unfairly punish a satellite connection test and give inaccurate results. In addition some of those sites use a lot of flashy graphics and ads and most likely won't load if you're experiencing slow speeds. The aforementioned recommendation is quite stripped down so it should load much easier. 

Fast.com is something Netflix created to sort of help them combat the impeding battles associated with Net Neutrality. Basically they made this site so that they can have leverage as to say "Hey it's your ISP that's throttling the connection and preventing our service to work". This site also tests latency and upload. 

Provider-based speed test sites probably will give you something in the ballpark but there's the potential of ISP-led influence. In addition I can't remember which one it is but some site will say something along the lines of "your speed is below ___ percent of US average speeds". That I know will probably infuriate a user upon reading but keep in mind that it's unfairly comparing to ALL providers and ALL connections (Fiber, Cable, DSL).

TL:DR- We recommend http://speedtest.via-satellite.net/ , but you can certainly use fast.com or speedtest.com, avoid ISP-influenced test sites in order to get a impartial and more accurate results. Avoid speedtest.net and as always if you are seeing slow speeds and are not past a data limit or marker that puts you in a deprioritized state email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com or call 855-463-9333 
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Appears that's a Flash based test and there's some debate over the accuracy of Flash based tests as opposed to HTML5. Not too mention that security issues with Flash have caused many of us to simply uninstall and abandon its use. The latter is my rationale for not using flash any more. Testmy.net is accurate provided you utilize manual download/upload sizes (12 MB and 3 MB are often recommended - higher sizes on faster connections).

Fast.com was actually created to demonstrate whether your ISP is throttling your wide streams with the emergence of fine print of unlimited plans or even zero rating (TMobile) regarding video streaming - the test is geared specifically towards video streaming behavior not other activities. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
I tried that speedtest site and it gives me this message on a white screen... 

"This text is replaced by the Flash movie."

I thought that maybe it's because I have HughesNet, but I saw a ViaSat customer say the same thing the other day.  

I've always found testmy.net to be accurate.  And manual size tests, like Old Labs suggests, not the auto tests.  I'd personally recommend 15MB/3MB, as the 12MB test can forward in size, whereas the 15MB is static in size.  

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
testmy.net is still something we utilize and found to be favorable
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
"This text is replaced by the Flash movie."

In my case that's because I don't have Flash installed at all. Looking at the script at the start of the page it can't replace that text with Flash and the script fails (most programmers use a "this page requires Flash" placeholder for that purpose.

For Safari and Opera it appears to use a java applet (not to be confused with java script). Java is another thing I'm reluctant to install but so are Safari and Opera ;)   

Probably too long for many to actually read (everybody probably wants a bumper sticker solution), but some considerations to get an accurate speed test are available at:

https://www.lifewire.com/rules-for-a-more-accurate-internet-speed-test-2617984

Especially the part about don't use the internet for anything else when testing and that applies to your entire home network since we're talking shared bandwidth on a single connection.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
Ah, that's what it was.  Chrome is set to ask about Flash, but for some reason it didn't do so.  I went in and manually turned it on for the test, and it worked.  The download result was very accurate, but the upload result was low, though I always have that problem with speedtest.  The ping was what I expected, though the jitter was VERY high.  With the upload test being wrong, though, I don't know how much I can trust the jitter.  Regardless, I don't game, so jitter away!  LOL.  
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Yes I did hard wire for customer service once and results were not much better. I would have to move desktop to living room to do the test again. It’s were they placed the modem during install. My laptops are surface pros they don’t have a network port to plug in.
I did Viasat listens a few times. Had one guy look and tell me he was moving me to another beam. I’m not an expert but is that even possible?
To be honest The best I have seen is 3mbps. Right now I’m over data limit at 150gig I have the unlimited silver 30mbps 150gig.
I resets tonight. I will run test tomorrow see where we are with fresh reset.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
G E,

Did a quick search for you and I didn't find your email.  Must have sent it from another address than you used to register here.

No, it's not possible to change your assigned beam from our side.  Your account is assigned to a particular beam, which is based on your service location.

If you'd like us to look into this, please email us at ViasatListens@viasat.com with your account number and the case number you would have been assigned in your initial email.  
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Here is after a reset
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Are you able to PM me on here Matt?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
No, that's one of the shortcomings of this forum.  If you send an email to the address above, title it "attention Matt B" Brad and Diana will make sure I get it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.