Before trying to compete with 5G, try outperforming 4G first

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
For your viewing pleasure (if streaming works for you).

https://www.lightreading.com/services...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 289 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Surprised he said residential is one of their three main markets. I would have thought Military, Airlines and businesses. 100Mbps????  Sorry, Viasat, you have to be kidding.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
"Blowin' smoke" and we KNOW what they must be smokin'!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is a 3 prong revenue stream, but the revenue from residential is minuscule compared to military and commercial airlines.

Military contracts are always going to be the most lucrative for any business.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 301 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
What I fail to get about the military services....what the heck does the US government need with such service after the 30billion we spent on military com sats. One just went the other day...the 10th one!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 324 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Residential was the third of the three so that gives you an idea of its priority. Much more money to be made from military and airlines. If the LEO consortium succeeds in getting their constellation in orbit, Viasat is toast.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
What I fail to get about the military services....what the heck does the US government need with such service after the 30billion we spent on military com sats.

It's not really about the satellite services per se (those that you and I are familiar with as residential subscribers). It's more about the hardware, equipment, SATCOM networking, ground infrastructure/support, technologies and the like using any satellites not just Viasat's. Viasat was in that market long before it had its own satellites going back to 1986 and will continue to be. The military, government, and commercial airlines require global coverage - once the Viasat-3 constellation is online, Viasat will better positioned to provide them with actual satellite services.

https://www.viasat.com/systems-products/government-military-satcom

(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

But Pentagon wants redundancy...equipment that can use any satellite.

February 4, 2019 - Story updated Feb. 7 with statement from Hughes Defense

The Pentagon is looking to make its communications systems more resilient against interference or hostile jamming. One way to do that is to allow users of satellite communications to roam across commercial and military network

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Thanks Cap'n Obvious - what part of "using any satellites not just Viasat's" did you fail to grasp? Still skimming?  Or do you think the Marine Expeditionary Forces are only going to deploy where Viasat has coverage? Having worked in DoD mission assurance, rest assured redundancy is not a new concept.

I miss the old forum.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So do I!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Viasat's worse nightmare here

Yes, "redundancy is not a new concept," but having options to choose from in the satellite ballpark means those with prima donna thoughts should think twice about pricing schemes with competition.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Look, squirrel!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Do a search on everything that was said about Viasat-2 over a year ago...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mult...

Hindsight being 20/20, probably wouldn't say Viasat was installed on the 737MAX, being that nobody in the world wants to fly that plane right now.

And those new "unlimited" test plans. That didn't work so well either. Those would be the 150GB plans that Viasat desperately wants to eliminate now.

Let's hope Viasat-3 works as intended!

New technology. Always a challenge!
(Edited)