beam congestion pre-check?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
Just wondering if there is a way to check beam congestion.(before ordering)..or maybe a rough Idea how many subscribers are on a beam in my zip code? I know in my are most go with cable (I'm not dealing with my local cable provider) Just a question so maybe I could kind of figure how busy the beam would be in my zip code
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2509 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
briman, the number of subscribers in your zip code will not indicate how congested your beam will be. The beams cover a much larger area than any single zip code.

ViaSat will not publically disclose the number of subscribers in any of their beams.

Take a look at the beam map, and you should be able to see the beam you would be on if you were to subscribe. You would be better finding a friend or neighbor in your area who is currently using Exede to see what kind of speeds you can  expect.

ViaSat beam map http://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Steve,
I will check the map...thank you

Trouble with checking my neighborhood is that most are on the same dsl I'm on or Cable
Call me wacho but I'm looking to cut ties with landline solutions and yes I'm aware of Satellite latency and have researched both hughes and exede
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
Best to find your beam, then ask here. Some beams are more congested than others and, others on your proposed beam could tell you their experience on that beam.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
ok
well if I'm reading the map right I would be on beam 8364
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
That's B364 :) As I said in your other thread, Xode000 is in that general area, maybe not on your beam but, he would know the area better and, may have some insight for you.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Bev,
Yes California....I'm actually in the Santa Barbara County are (if that makes a difference)
I have asked around my neighborhood but nobody has satellite internet...just satellite tv

In my area you can get dal and cable internet...and again I know I'm wacko but I already have dal and it #$%! and I will not deal with local cable (com###)

Cool I hope Xcode000 replies to this post :)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 282 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
One other way to judge your beam's congestion is to enter your zip code here and see what plans (if any) are being offered.  When a beam is considered very congested (or full) you will get a message that no new customers are being added at this time.  If you report back with what plans are offered for you to select from other opinions can be made...go here and enter your zip code:

http://www.wildblue.com/
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 957 Reply Likes

Bama is correct.  This is a very good indicator.  If Freedom is available in your location, your beam shouldn't be getting as congested (compared to other beams where Freedom can't even be offered).

Of course, even if Freedom is offered, don't expect 25Mbs 7 x 24 x 365.

Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I checked http://www.wildblue.com/ and it says 3 plans available
Liberty 12...Liberty 18 and Freedom 150GB with option of boost 25.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
Doesn't sound like much of a congestion issue on that beam with those plans. Basic, minimal use, single person moderate or, Freedom - looks like they want heavy users and families on Freedom in that beam :)
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Awesome :)

So not sure if I should make a new thread but I will ask here first....

Since I basically already investigated and learned what I need to know would it be best to order from the exede website? I do not see an advantage of contacting a local retailer/installer ....I mean they would contact me after the order right?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
I would either go to http://www.exede.com/ or, call 855-463-9333 and follow the prompts for not having service. They will get you set up with an installer.

I would also suggest adding EasyCare when you order, it's free for the first 90 days and, well worth having after that. No worries about paying for it if you do need a service call and, a priority number to call for Customer Care, when you need it.

If you are considering Exede Voice too, I have it and can tell you that it works well. After the introductory period (10.00 off for six months) it might be a bit more than other VOIP options BUT, Exede Voice does not count against your data usage so, that makes it worth it if you need VOIP phone service.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I actually have not really looked into Voice. I was going to keep my DSL for a couple months just in case and that needs a copper land line(phone number)
 How does the Voice work?...does exede give you a phone number?
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
Exede Voice does give you a phone number, or you can port your existing number. Porting can take a couple of weeks so, if you want that done, you need to keep the number being ported active under your current carrier until it is ported to Exede Voice.

Exede Voice is designed specifically to work the best of any VIOP with Exede Internet service and, of course using the phone does not count against your data allotment but, any other VOIP service, like MagicJack or Vonage would count against your data usage.

The Boost WiFi Modem comes with the voice adapter built in, so you don't need a separate box if you get that Modem, otherwise, Exede will send you a voice adapter box that is super easy to connect and activate yourself. 

I've had both for Exede Voice and either one works equally well. Of course it's VOIP so, unlimited nationwide calling and, super low rates to other countries.

http://www.exede.com/voip-satellite-phone/ If you want to learn more about Exede Voice.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
cool...thanks bev

I'm not attached to my number as only had it for the dsl so a new number is ok with me

I will go read up on the service 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 957 Reply Likes
Exede Voice is over priced and overrated. Similar solutions for a fraction of the cost. The fact that a small amount of data won't count against you isn't worth the premium price tag.
Photo of James

James

• 323 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
if you have cable or dsl you would be very wise to stay with them.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
I would have to agree with James.  I know you said you don't want to deal with your cable company, but really, I love my Exede but can't even fathom why you would rather get satellite than cable.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1784 Posts
  • 957 Reply Likes
Some people never satisfied with their ISP????
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
I don't know, if cable company has abysmal customer service, unlimited data at 3Mbps, maybe 5 Mbps at best and, requires I also pay for a land line phone to have service then Exede comes along with 150 GB  at a maximum of 25Mbps for about the same as I pay for cable and phone and, I can cut the phone off too. I'm not a big time  downloader and just stream content now and then and, I see Viasat 2 is just around the corner with potentially even better plans for me. I think I'd go with Exede.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Does cable internet have 5mbs.  My brother has cable 10 miles from me at 150mbs.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2623 Posts
  • 1042 Reply Likes
Yep, my granddaughter in town has Cox - 5Mbps and a 1000 GB limit - mostly she gets 1-3Mbps and, since they rely on Netflix, Hulu and, Roku for TV, because having all 3 is cheaper than cable or satellite TV service, they burn their data and get slowed every month, then dial up speeds (24Kbps or less) (5 kids, TV on 24/7/ until too slow to watch TV)
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Did not know that.  I thought cable was inherently fast. I really shouldn't be questioning his reasons for not getting cable.  I had Verizon for many many years.
Started out at 3g then they went to 4g and I ended up have 45mbs download speeds.  Never a problem but only 10gig data limit. Switched to Exede because of a higher data limit for the sole purpose of streaming movies on our t.v.  Never an issue with streaming everyday.  So I guess I would never deal with another ISP even if they do have higher speeds.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2505 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
I have Exede at home because Spectrum's(formerly Time Warner) cable stops one mile from my home. For over 25 years we have been trying to get them to run more cable, but to no avail, short of me paying them in excess of $15,000 dollars.

However, at my lake place, I have Spectrum internet, their 3 Mbps version. This is no longer offered to new customers, 30, 50 and 100 Mbps is their current offerings for new customers. I am grandfathered, and they are constantly trying to get  me to upgrade my service, but it is $16.00 a month, no data limit, and it serves my purposes well. I have no buffering when streaming Netflix or other movies.

I have to admit that some websites aren't happy with my slow speeds, and sometimes I have to reload a few times, but it beats the alternative, upgrading to the 30 Mbps would cost $36.00 a month, but I survive just fine with what I have. I am only at my lake place for 4 months a year maximum.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
3, 4, 5, mbs is absolutely fine for streaming.  If people are having issues with those speeds, something else is wrong.  I have a Karma Go which is a mobile hotspot that I use for traveling and I stream great with 5mbs.

Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser

I would say that is an unfair statement to make 
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 324 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
I bought a Karma Go but they changed the plan on me before I even got my ordered device delivered  I was also unable to change my plan selection on their website as the substitute plan that they put me on was not what I wanted.    I needed a smart phone to change their plan selection and I didn't have one.    Needless to say I sent the Karma Go device straight back without opening the box.  Exede has much better customer support than Karma Go appeared to have.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
The statement is correct.  Not sure how it is unfair.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
"Some people never satisfied with their ISP????"
how is that a fair statement?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Yes, I had the "unlimited" plan they tried to start.  Didn't work out for them and they had to discontinue it.  People got around the hotspot requirement that made you sign in on a web page with your email and password before you could get access. 
Streaming devices do not have that capability but they, and I found ways around that ( a router that holds your sign in info and then allows the streaming device to work.)
They were reporting people using 1000 gigs a month and Karma buys their data to resell, so that could never work.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1658 Posts
  • 1337 Reply Likes
Sorry birdman.  You are responding to something a long way up and we are getting confused.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
ah...no worries

sorry for the confusion