Beam 371/372 Customers :: Joshua Tree

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Hi All!

Trying to do my research before possibly switching to Viasat. I'm in Joshua Tree, CA - right now we have very limited options for internet and I'm currently on a long range wireless plan from a local ISP (2 mb/s).

From what I can tell, I'd be on either beam 371 or 372. Anyone on these beams or out in my area/close by that can tell me about their experiences? My main goal is to have a reliable connection for watching Netflix and connecting to my smart home devices/security cameras. Don't think I'll ever get close to the 150gb a month depriotization with my typical usage. When I look up my zip code, I see options for Bronze 12, Silver 25 and Gold 30, all unlimited data, for $70/100/150 respectively after 3 month promo pricing. To put that into perspective, I'm currently paying 60/month for my 2 mb local connection.

So some questions:

1. Experience on these beams
2. Experience streaming video with Netflix
3. Should I be worried about satalitte latency and trying to connect to smart home devices/security cameras?

Thanks!
Photo of jj

jj

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
JJ,

I don't live in your area, but, the best thing to do would be to find a local dealer, take your cameras, or whatever you want to test and, ask to try them on Viasat Service.

Latency will be in the range of ~600 ms. Usually that means some delay when viewing home security cameras remotely.

As for plans, if HD video is not a big deal to you, I would personally suggest Unlimited Silver, Bronze if you like cell phone and tablet video ONLY but, for even a computer monitor, you'll want the 480 res.

As for IoT things like Google home, EchoDot, Alexa, Smart fridge, etc... the few of those I have are fine with Viasat as are smartphones and tablets and, TV recivers for DTV or Dish.
Photo of jj

jj

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Bev! HD video isn't a huge deal for me - because of my current connection, my Netflix auto adjusts to 480 or sometimes lower (the long distance wifi frequently has interference since it's on the 5ghz band and everyones home routers and such in between can cause issues) - so I'm not worried about the quality on my TV too much. I just want it to load and not buffer over and over (which happens on my current connection).
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Why with all those devices and a taste for streaming, do you think you won’t use 150GB? Do you know about how much you’ve used in past months?

Why not pick up bronze for surfing and keep your other isp for streaming?

Are you on fixed wireless?
(Edited)
Photo of jj

jj

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My setup doesn't use too much data (lock, thermostat, and camera). Camera only uploads images on motion, and only streams video when I connect. Lock and thermostat are minimal, and only do firmware updates when initiated. In the past few months, I'm usually in the low 30s. 

I'd like to minimize my investment on services as much as possible. Just had a baby and trying to start saving for her college. :) That's the reason for not wanting to keep both. 

And yes, current ISP is fixed wireless - but not with Verizon or ATT via LTE. It's a local ISP that uses line of sight tech.  
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1539 Posts
  • 876 Reply Likes

It's good to see someone actually doing their homework on this.

Here's the straight answer:  Viasat might be a disappointment for you if you subscribe now.  It's a true "roll of the dice" concerning what you will experience.

If you wait until you actually see that satellite Viasat-2 is in operation and subscribe then, you might be able to start your subscription on that satellite.  The limiting factor is your view to the east and south from where you will be locating a dish for reception.  The angle for you is about 22-24 degrees above the flat horizon, or, about 3-4 minutes of a clock above the horizon.  Viasat-2 lines-up with Boston but at the equator 22,300 miles up.

The present satellite, Viasat-1 is only a few degrees south (about lined-up with  Reno NV but at the equator 22,300 miles up).  This satellite is booked to capacity in many parts of the country.  Nobody at Viasat is going to tell you the present loading on the beam that would serve your area. This type of information is absolutely not made available to anyone but the highest level management of the company.

If you wait to subscribe and can actually be served by Viasat-2, your initial and continuing service with Viasat will be a positive experience starting at the first day.

If you subscribe now, on Viasat-1, you may have regrets until Viasat-2 is indeed operational, and enough load on this satellite is transferred to Viasat-2 which may take months to accomplish, all the while, you may have poor service.

Patience pays, so if I were to offer a recommendation, it would be to wait for Viasat-2.

Make your own informed decision about this.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 850 Reply Likes
What major cities do those beams cover?  I'm guessing 371 is Los Angeles and 372 is San Diego.

I'm asking because it would be a good idea to create separate threads for each beam similar to the ones I already created.

Just trying to help keep things organized so we can have easy to reference information for which beams are good and which are congested.