Beam 348 - New Unlimited Plans as of February 12, 2018

• Praise
  • Updated 8 months ago
I think the new plans are a step in the right direction.  Each plan has been reduced to 12 mbps speeds, has different data thresholds ranging from 40 GB to 100 GB and are just a little bit cheaper.

Why do I think this is a step in the right direction?  Reducing speeds to "up to 12 mbps" is going to make it easier for Viasat to give people "what they are paying for."

There will still be times when Viasat can't deliver 12 mbps to everyone, but we will also see more incidents of people getting slightly more than the up to 12 mbps they are paying for.  New subscribers will be happy and of course old customers will complain.

The lowered data thresholds will help ensure everyone has access to high speeds as well. This means there will be less problems for people who choose to stream Netflix in the evenings.

And of course, once you hit your threshold things will still be unlimited, but you may not see the full 12 mbps.

We saw lots of people complaining that they were only getting 15 mbps and were paying for 30 mbps on the old Gold plans.  Now I guess we will see people complaining that they are paying for 12 mbps and they are only getting 12 mbps instead of the 100 mbps their neighbors get one mile up the road with cable.

Whats interesting is none of the new plans mention the wifi modem.  Perhaps you don't need one of those awful wifi modems to switch to unlimited anymore.  Of course, I will be staying on the trusty Liberty 12 plan.  Good times are ahead.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 259 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
People will probably complain for getting offered less at a higher price. I can see where a fan might not understand but any reasonable person would be bothered.
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
i am gonna wait for the 100 mbps plan and see what price are then
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
People have been complaining that they feel Viasat should be more honest about what they are capable of providing.  These plans are a more honest approach.

Viasat 1 is an amazing piece of equipment but it has its limitations until enough traffic is shifted to Viasat 2.   

Should these plans stay around long enough, I predict they will be priced at $50,  $70,  and $100 in a year or two.  That would be a great value for unlimited plans.

But people are still going to complain no matter what.  I'm convinced that you could hang some people with a brand new rope and they would still complain.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 259 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Well you know if viasat wants to be more honest about what they are capable they could start with there whole customer service department. If they could stop overselling their systems capability to people, stop lying, that would be a good first step. Oh but wait, people over the phone should divine the fine print that they often fail to provide. But yeah, you have a point, it's very honest of them to lower the value of the packages they are selling to new customer on over sold beams. I would stop selling those beams pending the rollout of the new system but kudos to them.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 52 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
What's to complain about?  Silver plan went from $100 to $95 while speed went from max 25 Mbps to 12 Mbps and priority data went from 150Gb to 60Gb.  $5 savings gets you 52% less speed and 60% less priority data.   Whiny little biatches I tell you. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1893 Reply Likes
Sarcasm,  Love it!  The journey is often more exiting than the destination.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2184 Posts
  • 1090 Reply Likes
You think you hated 150 GB, just wait till you try 40 GB.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Unless the cap becomes very soft, barely, rarely, noticeable.

Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
J&J, and we have reason to believe that to be possible, based on... ???
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3372 Posts
  • 1942 Reply Likes
Keep in mind there is a reason 25Mbps plans were sold. Remember what the government definition of "broadband" is now. Now granted, Viasat's ability to deliver that level of performance on a consistent basis has to be questioned. But I would rather underpromise and overperform, versus trying to sell something just before the government says you need to deliver this to be considered "broadband".
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Kind of my fear with ViaSat 2. There will be a 100Mbps plan so it can be advertised in big bold letters. More of a statement to HughesNet customers than actual affordable service plans at that speed most likely (hope I’m wrong).
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
Then by definitiom, AT&T doesn't offer broadband in my area. I was paying them for up to 18 mbps and speed were usually 6 mbps. Their service wasn't very reliable either.

Yesterday I witnessed what appeared to be a damaged phone line laying on the road in front of my house. It had physically separated from a utility pole in my yard.

I didn't bother calling AT&T but I'm sure the neighbors were going nuts when they couldn't connect to Facebook.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I'm proud to say I was 100% correct.  I said earlier, "It doesn't matter what the new plans will be, people will still complain."

It looks like I was right.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3810 Posts
  • 3850 Reply Likes
You should complain.

I'd complain if there were a phone line laying in the road in front of my house.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3372 Posts
  • 1942 Reply Likes
People still need/use phone lines? What is that? Says the girl in the commercial asking what a computer is.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Stephen - except you were not correct. It does matter what the new plans are, hence the complaining. The complaints don't exist in a vacuum, they're actually quite reasonable, based on expectations set by the provider, as well as being based on the actual components of the plan.

So you were correct in every way except for... well, pretty much except for every way that matters to the consumer.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2202 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
We can always switch to Hughesnet and their new plans...  "Streaming is optimized with video streams at DVD quality (up to 480p)."

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3807 Posts
  • 3849 Reply Likes
Optimization sounds good, I'm sold - unless you're trying to fool us again (but in this case I think the 99s are in fact supposed to be smaller).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3372 Posts
  • 1942 Reply Likes
But you get a price lock guarantee and 25Mbps in vintage 1999 video resolution! What more could a person ask for than that!