Beam 329 Unlimited - well, not really

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
On Beam 329 (VA), the first 'unlimited' plan has shown up. The Freedom Plans have been removed for existing customers. In looking at the Unlimited I think I wish I would have switched to the Freedom 150 25 boost for $110. My bad. Here is the new plan:

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Me too. I've been checking daily and finally 150GB became available (the same "Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps" plan that you show). I'm in beam 8345 in Texas as best I can tell.

I recently jumped to a 50GB plan when it became available, which actually *reduced* my price. This one raises it back to what it was on the 30GB plan I had before that, but I'm really happy to have 150GB.

Now if the speed won't stay as low as it's showing now: Fast.com is sayin 3Mbps so far, at 5:00 a.m....

I think your spinning horse icon may give me a seizure. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 175 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
What is your cost for this plan?
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
$150, same as you show in your graphic.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
Unlimited plans just became available for me as well.  Honestly, I've been very happy with Liberty 12, so this is a really tough call for me.  These unlimited plans might not be around for long though, so I'm tempted to go with the silver plan for $100.  
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Stephen Rice - THANK YOU for sharing this. It definitely shows I should NOT go for the unlimited. We have the same plan offered, only it is $100 for you but $150 for me. Beam 329 only has the one unlimited plan I shared being offered. I am not sure why they call it 'bonus features', but there does appear to be a 150GB limit before they will reduce it (may = will) and 480p is probably also a reduction from what we currently have. Missing where the deal is. Welcome someone to explain to me why I should be excited for Beam 329's 'unlimited' offering?
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3802 Posts
  • 3844 Reply Likes
At $150 per month, not particularly attractive to me either when offered at $100 per month to other beams.

But reading closely the real "bonus feature" appears to be the lack of hard throttling in favor of prioritization on exceeding the priority data allowance. Recall that Liberty Plans are both throttled and prioritized on exceeding the threshold - there's a distinct difference between the two methods. Freedom previously and still does a hard throttle while the new "Unlimited Data" plans appear to only prioritize.

The newly published data allowance policy provides some further insight along with some additional disclaimers:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

Offhand it seems that simple prioritization places these plans somewhat competively with the "unlimited" cellular plans - if your beam can handle the traffic you'll probably be happy and it appears the real choice is how well you can tolerate the video restrictions.

If the unlimited bronze were available on 329 I'd probably jump on it (since I rarely stream) but alas it's not - and I'd have to become a "new" customer by canceling through NRTC anyway. The 720P option would be attractive if I were looking to stream to my TV - but then again at the higher resolution you'll hit the threshold quicker.

P.S. Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if this simply puts more pressure on overcrowded beams and the nebulous answer provided to the following question in that DAP document:

What happens to my unlimited service plan during network congestion?

Answer: Understand what "up to" really means ;)

(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 303 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I normally don't jump on anything new, i don't like being a beta tester, but i did just switch to this plan.  They just send you a new modem and you install it, i hate waiting for tech people to arrive.

So that is good thing, and now i will hook up my DTV to the internet again, not that i am a demand user but every now and then maybe.

After all these years i am conditioned to be very frugal with data and will probably still remain that way, but it will just be something else i won't have to keep track of anymore.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
This really is a toss up for me.  Since I am on a good beam, the Liberty Pass works pretty dang good most of the time.  I can even do normal web browsing during prime time.

The $100 offer with 480p streaming is very tempting though.  Not sure what I should do.  The cost would nearly double what I am currently paying for internet but I would still have high speed internet during prime time. 

Decisions decisions...
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Unlimited available here too. I clicked that button in a heartbeat - modem rebooted, good to go and happy :)

150 GB Priority is perfect, then slowed during congestion which is never bad on my beam so, great deal for me. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 87 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
you must have already had the wifi-modem/router.  I have to wait for mine to come in the mail.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
What streaming option did you select?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
480P That's fine for me and my family, uses the least data and, suffers least when slowed so, it's a good choice. I'm not ditching DTV this year, maybe next year, depending on NFL streaming options. My husband has to have his football so, if there is a way to get all Miami Dolphins games live streamed and, cut the cord we will but, we need to look into that.

We do have Netflix but, only for on the road until now. Now we can watch a couple of our favorite shows on Netflix at home too. :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I went ahead, took the plunge, and signed up for the 480p plan. It's going to cost me $50 extra a month, but at least it will help Exede pay for the new satellite. LOL
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I just looked at my available options for me, I can't remember my beam I am located in Des Moines, IA and these are the options available to me:
But I think I will stay where i am with my Freedom Plan as my speeds are awesome:

(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 303 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
This is a dynamic situation, plans, speed and some equipment may/will change.  I just hooked DTV backup to the internet and downloaded a couple of episodes that will not re air for my wife.  She is happy, that makes me happy.  Also she is sitting with her new iPhone watching some DVR and streaming some other show on DTV.

Once again the plans will change, and although my service has been consistently good,  i have always been the/a proponent of unlimited data.  

So now I will wait for my new modem, although my two downloads with my 3 year old modem did fine.  

Its just nice to know you always have data, and updating several computer, 3 with windows 10, etc. no cares.

Exede is on the move.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2780 Posts
  • 1751 Reply Likes
These just showed up for my area, beam 314, today. I am not interested in reducing the quality of the streaming to SD quality for the same price I am getting faster speeds and HD resolution. To go to the 720p resolution is $50.00 more, so I will stick to the original Freedom plan. I like to stream Netflix, and I do enjoy the HD video viewing, even though it sucks up more data. I don't binge watch, only a few movies a week. So far I have never gone over 100 GB a month, so I am not looking to save data with lower quality video viewing. For those who don't mind the lower resolution viewing, enjoy those lower price plans.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
I agree with you 110% Mark. I would take Freedom 150 over these new plans. Alas I can only get the Silver plan which will cost me more AND reduce my video quality which is a non-starter for me. If I want crappy SD video, I could just get Hughesnet :).
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 169 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I agree Steve but not all areas even got a chance at the freedom plan but I think things will get even better once the new sat is fully functioning
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I guess this shows how congested Beam 329 continues to be. It doesn't make sense for me to go to unlimited. I am on the Freedom (150) plan for $100. The unlimited offer I am given is Silver for $150. A few weeks ago dealers in the area said 329 users were going to be really happy with the new plans.  Uh, no. Not yet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3339 Posts
  • 1921 Reply Likes
I agree. Until Viasat-2 gets in operation, there is only so much bandwidth to go around, no matter how hard they work to "optimize" things.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
 This unlimited offering even surprised me.  I didn't expect it to show up this soon. My beam (369) has it too.  Is ViaSat-2 parked and running and it's a huge secret?  Is ViaSat moving heavy users in Industry and Government contracts over to ViaSat-2 already? "Inquiring minds want to know."

Two weeks ago I said bigger plans were coming to boost ViaSat's income, but this happening so soon was unexpected.  My words on the new unlimited plans:  "Good going Exede, I knew you could do it."  Just don't ask where I get my information.

Click picture for a clear view...

@ Andy Schack, Champion :

Oh really??

(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3062 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
I personally expected it to be far more limited. Glad more are able to get it
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Took me by surprise too, even though I knew it was coming. I didn't expect it this early. I was expecting February to March of next year before we saw Unlimited available. As for the price, just a bit more than Liberty 50 and, well worth it for me and, many others I think.
(Edited)
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 832 Posts
  • 459 Reply Likes
sooooo does that mean i only still, get 150gbs??? or is it like unlimited data??? imma confused @>@ please help me with this understanding please???
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Deku, I'm not sure either but, I think Unlimited is more like Liberty 150 (except they called it unlimited.) With Freedom, you are slowed PERIOD when you use more than 150 GB in a month, with Unlimited, being slowed beyond 150 GB used only happens if your beam is too congested to give you top speed - you might still get top speed, even at 200 GB used, during off peak times on Unlimited where you would be slowed on Freedom.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
I agree. It is really Liberty 150 with throttled video (like Hughesnet).

So in one respect better than Freedom, in another respect not better than Freedom. Depends on your needs.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 333 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Being throttled after only 150GB is not even close to being "unlimited".
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

It's not throttled.
  It's a reduced priority using all left over bandwidth remaining after those who have not gone over their limit get their fastest speed at any given moment.

Your speed will fluctuate after surpassing a data limit.  It may not slow down at all depending on the load presented by those not having exceeded their limit.

This is the most equitable method of delivering a limited resource on a continuing basis.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
As congested as some of the beams have been, if you think you won't see a significant speed decrease once your usage is deproritized after 150GB of usage, have at it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I was wondering the same thing.  Verizon used to be awesome in my area until they started offering unlimited data.  Now Verizon sucks because so many people jumped on the "unlimited highway".

I'm wondering if we are going to see the same thing with Exede.  Honestly, I was happy with the Liberty Pass.  It worked as advertised on my beam.  

There is no telling what the unlimited plans are going to do to the Exede network.  For now everything seems to be great.  Lets just hope they don't sell too many unlimited plans on Viasat 1.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
My guess is this is why you are offered Unlimited Silver for $100 and on the overloaded 329 Beam we are priced at $150 for the same plan. That is done to control us from jumping onto the unlimited plans on the overloaded beams. At the same time they also removed the Freedom plans on 329.
Photo of Ben Jumper

Ben Jumper

• 40 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
WHY does Stephen Rice and Scott get 480p unlimited for $100 when I have to pay $150 and for THAT price he gets 720p???
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2144 Posts
  • 1065 Reply Likes
Its because we aren't on congested beams.  Honeslty, my beam was so good that even the Liberty Pass worked pretty dang good.  I'm still kicking myself for switching to unlimited.  I don't need it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
I agree with you Ben. It's called supply and demand and the beam i.e. your location will dictate what prices you have to pay I can only get silver, for $150 and that is with just 480p. No thanks. Will wait for the added capacity Viasat-2 will offer me.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I probably should have waited. Was on a 50GB plan that was adequate as long as we didn't stream movies and TV, but I had been wanting 150 and checking almost daily, and when I saw it I jumped -- like  Pavlov's Dog -- even though I'm about to start a job that will have me out of town on weekdays -- doh!

The is also the first time I saw a message that I can't change for 30 days, but I suppose after that I can reconsider.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
He didn't say he is having any issues.  He is saying he should have waited because his previous plan was adequate.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I posted somewhere, it may have been in this thread or another, that my speed wasn't so hot after changing. Since then, however, I've realized that for some reason the Fast.com speed test doesn't measure accurately on the Silver Unlimited plan (it never showed more than about 3Mbps), but the speed shows more normally on other sites like Speedtest.net and DSL Reports (around 20Mbps). That seems consistent with the performance I'm experiencing. So, false alarm, but it could be confusing others too who have used Fast.com.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
openspeedtest.com is another one that was recommended to me by a install tech.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
That gave me a ping of 21ms, which obviously doesn't jive with satellite Internet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
Testmy.net is what you should use. Been using it over a decade and I have found it the most accurate to test a satellite internet connection.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I decided to go ahead and see if I could stick with the Liberty 12 plan.  I called up customer support this morning and asked if I could cancel my upgrade to Unlimited Silver and keep my Liberty 12 plan.  To my surprise, the agent was very nice and took care of it without any hassle.

If you are have having second thoughts about upgrading to one of the unlimited plans I suggest you give Exede a call as soon as possible.

I signed back into my account after the phone call, and it seems the change went into effect.  I'm a happy camper.

Honestly, I'm not on a congested beam, so for all practical purposes, the Liberty 12 plan is already unlimited albeit at a slower speed than Unlimited Silver.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3086 Posts
  • 1087 Reply Likes
As a few may have pointed out I think the biggest takeaway for this plan is that unlike the Freedom plan, this will NOT have a hard set data limit. 

Understandably some of you guys are ecstatic about this others are more skeptical. If you've tasted the good life and had a Freedom plan this may not be as exciting right now, especially if you haven't had a problem with hitting your limit. You may be fine staying on your Freedom plan.  For those disappointed that the Freedom plan appears to have gone the way of the Dodo, this is much like when Liberty plans entered the picture and we got rid of the classic plans. Some people argued similar arguments but this happens time to time, plans are retired in favor of new ones but you are under no obligation to get on the new plan at all. In fact, you can be grandfathered into your current plans.

Here's some of the highlights of the new plan:

All the unlimited plans will give you 150GB but MAY slow after that. This will depend on the network, those that are past that point are on a lower priority and MAY slow. I don't think we expect to slow people but if we have to it'll be after that 150GB mark. But still it's not a hard cap and you can still use your internet afterwards. With us calling it unlimited I don't think we are leaning towards slowing people but if it has to be done we'll do it after that number is hit. However again no hard data cap!!!

150GB is a pretty good chunk of data. MOST won't see that number hit for a good bit ( I say that because there's those out there that will certainly challenge that). 

The plan you choose (if getting one) will be determined by video quality for streaming. Obviously the lower tier has the lower resolution. If you watch things on your phone this will be fine, it may look grainy on a big screen. The middle tier is SD/DVD quality. This will probably work for most and the top one is 720p which is HD. It may not be 1080p but 720 still looks good in my opinion. Of course if you don't really stream I think this is going to be an awesome deal.

Hope that helps highlight some of the features
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Sure, and the factors that govern your taxes includes the value of your property. It's likely that rates are close to level in your area, although there may be some graduated rates, given that graduated tax rates have been around for scores of years.

However - again, we are not discussing taxes, milk, gasoline, widgets, etc... we are talking about what is essentially a necessary public utility. A better example would be a provider of a similar utility. I posed this challenge on another thread and will do so again here:

Find me an example of a provider, be it LTE, Cable, DSL, WISP, or even Electric power, who is charging 50% more for the exact same service offering, based strictly on geographic location. I've not yet seen a reply from anyone who has found that.

And bear in mind, we're not talking about simply a 50% delta for an insignificant sum. We're talking $100 vs. $150 - which translates to 50% more for the same service.

Also bear in mind, I'm not objecting to the high prices Exede charges. I've been paying those prices all along. I'm not even objecting to the notion that Exede might offer a different level of service, depending on the beam one is on. I couldn't get Freedom for ages, and that was understandable, given our congestion. I also wouldn't object if Unlimited Silver were only made available on our beam for a day or a week, also due to congestion.

My objection is that we are charged Gold pricing for Silver service - and there were numerous ways Exede could have controlled adoption and managed congestion other than charging outrageously higher prices.

Anyhow - answer my challenge... go ahead, I will wait.

Rique
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
In Louisiana we are exempt from paying taxes on the first $75,000 of our property value. I paid $130,000 for my house and I pay about $700 in property taxes a year. I have a friend that lives in Long Island New York who paid $200,000 for his house. He pays $15,000 in property taxes every year.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

@ Rique
When it comes to net service, there's no choice involved, you're stuck in the market you're in.
Did you happen to miss that you can subscribe to HughesNet?  They do have the same price across the country. 

The value with Exede is "What you pay, for what you get."  See how much your bill is at Hughes when you've used up about 300gigs in one month.

@ Stephen Rice

Oh yes, I agree about the food.  Wild-caught Louisiana shrimp is finally starting to show up again at stores here in California (NO thanks to BP).  The rest of what you said is what I wish for but this is a huge cattle ranch.  I can't pack it up and take it with me.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
We could go on and on about things costing different prices in different markets. Healthcare and car insurance are two great examples. Louisiana is a pretty cheap place to live but we have some of the highest car insurance rates in the nation. You won't find me calling up Allstate and telling them they need to charge people in other states more money so that my rates can be reduced.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Hmmm.... a short post you made vanished. Still, I agree the food in Louisiana is the best. 

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Well, Tinder Premium for one, that's a service and, the price is based on age and location.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Bev - 50% different? Source? And what does that amount to? There's a big difference between an extra $25 per year vs an extra $600 per year.

Riq
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
You aren't going to be happy unless we find an ISP that isn't Exede, HughesNet or Tooway charging different prices in different locations and, yes all of them do it. And you should be comparing satellite internet with satellite internet since it is totally different from land based internet.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Bev - OK, I will bite. Obviously, Exede does it. But their policy is the point of my objection, so let's not consider them, OK? It would the classic definition of a circular argument.

So who does that leave? Dishnet? Nope, their pricing is established nationally. Certainly, there's not a 50% delta, depending on market area.

How about DTV? Nope, same situation... nationally established pricing, regardless of geographic area.

Which leaves Hughes (I know there are other small players, I just don't know much about them). When we were with Hughes for more than a decade, I don't believe they charged 50% more in one market, compared to another market. Then again, congestion was not as big a concern then. Even their original FAP wasn't that unreasonable - but when they did make the FAP stricter, it was across-the-board. As for how it is now, I have no idea. Perhaps someone with a Hughes account could share?

I still haven't seen a specific, documented example of a national data service, internet access or VoIP provider who charges 50% more in one market than another for the same service package. I'm still waiting... chirp, chirp (crickets).

What I have seen are examples such as milk, gas, pizza, taxes, housing - none of which fit the definition I included in the original challenge.

Rique
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
I'm gonna go get me a pizza. Since I live way out in the country it's going to cost more than a $5 pizza at Little Ceasars.

I hope you guys like pineapple on your pizza.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
@Craig - I had Hughes for more than a decade. I loathe them. My complaints are not about disliking Exede, I've said many times that I defend and support Exede for the most part - including defending them against those complaints which compare what Exede charges vs what Hughes charges - the point being, Exede is worth it. Hughes, not so much. So no, I don't consider that as a real choice. It's kind of like saying I could choose Sprint instead of Verizon. Sure, I could - and I would have a signal that drops repeatedly and with which I could not even use a Jetpack. So it's a "choice", I grant you - but not really a choice.