Beam 329 - Beware of Liberty 50 Plan

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
Just switched from Classic 25 to Liberty 50.  I knew I was taking a chance, but figured worst case if it didn't work out I could move to a different option.  

Long story short, I have had 0 problems for the last few months on Classic 25.  Speeds good, connection steady, all was great.  Now on Liberty 50, had to reset the modem 4 times so far and still not getting a connection.  It will work for a little bit and then stop working.

This only started after changing the plans.  I am guessing the bandwidth limiting needs some tweaking on our highly congested beam.  Honestly I was surprised to even see the plans offered.  

Started to call tech support but it is gong to be a 10 minute wait for the Easy Care customers, not sure what it is for the non-easy care customers.

Just wanted to say if you haven't switched on 329, you may want to wait a few days for the bugs to get ironed out.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Add to that a speed test from myesvt:

2.18 Download and .87 Upload.  On Classic I got much better speed.   Going to call back into customer care soon, but my guess this needs to be passed on to the network engineering team as this is reminiscent of problems past.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 172 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Thank you, Brian. I was going to switch to the same plan but thought I would wait for my new month start on the 8th. I will wait and see what your experience is since there is no longer a classic plan to go back to.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
As of 5:30 am this morning the connections seems to be stable. I restarted all my equipment again at that time and seems to have stayed up since then. Hoping they were just having some issues overnight with the new plans coming online and hopefully they are ironed out now.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2191 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
Hi Brain, thank you for the information. I will pass it along to our engineers.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2681 Posts
  • 1680 Reply Likes
I switched to  the Liberty 12 Mbps - 50 GB Plan yesterday morning.

There is obviously a software glitch in the new software for this plan as ever since the change of plan, my modem loses connection and has to reestablish the connection anywhere from every 10 minutes to sometimes an hour or two. It is a bit inconvenient. Hopefully the Exede tech gurus will figure out what is going on and get this fixed. Speeds are good while the connection is established.

I am on Beam 314, upstate New York.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2191 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,  I'm sorry to hear that the modem continues to drop.  I will get this information to our team.  Please keep us informed of any other issues 

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
On Beam 329 problem continues as well. On the phone for a second time with support. I believe this needs to be escalated asap as it is obviously affecting more than one person reporting this.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Wow...  Steve...  must be nice to get an acknowledgement..  I'm on 314 as well and I've been complaining about this EXACT issue since I switched to 150. Modem reboots...  poor speed.  Funny how a "Champion" gets listened to and some poor fool who doesn't know what he's talking about gets told that is because it's spring break... or bad power... or the modem is TOO HOT...  Diana, can I update you with my news too?  I'm on a roll right now.  Modem has been up for 22 hours.  That was after bounce at least five times yesterday.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Hey, Diana, my modem has rebooted four times today after running flawlessly for a day and a half.  Just thought you'd like to know since you were interested in how Steve is running since were on the same beam... 
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Well that was a good 35 minutes of usage.  Had to tell the folks on the webex I'm hosting to hold on, my service is rebooting.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 280 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Gentlemen, you know when it comes to software changes and updates that you have to select to install you never want to be first.

Software is generally a work in progress and after a reasonable time most, not all of the bugs are worked out.

Exede is moving in the right direction however, they still have some network engineering to do to get this right.  I have 6 computers in the house and i need the 2400 to 5 am to keep them all updated.  So while the price is good the free zone 3-6 won't do it for me.

Besides i have given them back 5 to 7 Gig for the last two months.

Teaching on the internet i need reliability around the clock and at least the 10  to 12 Mbps DL and 3 to 4 UL, as pitiful as it is, has been pretty reliable, so i'm not jumping off the 25 Classic.

Hopefully there will be something much better in a few months.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Johnny -

I agree, except even with doing my updates, watching Netflix on occasion and the other things I do, I stay under the cap on the classic plan and don't make as much use of the free zone as I used to. 50 GB with a three hour free zone is enough for my needs until the new sat is launched.

Just need the modem to stay connected.

So if anyone else out there is having an issue of the modem periodically dropping after switching to the Liberty Plan, please call in and report it and request escalation ASAP. I am certain Steve and I are not the only two experiencing this.

I know that Diana is escalating it as well but one or two people reporting the issue may not be enough to garner the NOC teams attention. The more that report the issue, the better information they have to fix it.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 280 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Brian, we all have different requirements and they change.  One of the best things about Exede is the ability to change from plan to plan without issue.

But, Exede has to get their act together and provide reliable service in every plan.

I hate being part of a Beta test group.

Especially when there is enough software available to war game before launching systems etc.

But some things never change.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Just an update. After my call to Exede and the escalation to level 2, I noticed my modem going a little crazy when I wasn't connected to it. I believe it was Exede tweaking or testing something since it has been up for over 6 hours after that happened. It seems they may have it sorted out.

I will update tomorrow.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 172 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Thank you for the updates. I am watching for them.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Modem has been on for 14 hours straight without a reboot or loss of connectivity so it seems as of now the issue may be resolved for me.

The only interesting thing about this now is that my data usage seems to be off. Nothing changed in my browsing or usage from when I was on classic and I only used 11 GB of data in the first 22 days. After switching to Liberty for the first day it is now showing at 16.6 GB. I disabled the free zone downloaded and other such but maybe I missed something or maybe it is phantom usage. Going to keep an eye on it for today and I also have it connected to a separate box that tracks usage as well so I can compare the two.

But again, as far as connectivity we look good now!
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 172 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Brian, interesting you mention the usage. I noticed a difference in my Exede's stated usage between the 18gb Liberty plan and the Classic plans. Oddly, they say I used more when I was on Liberty. One of the reasons I got off it and back to Classic. How I use it has been the same.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Seems like it might have stabilized, although I won't know for a few days of usage if it is accurate or not.  For the time being it shows me using 200 MB this morning and while it is possible, my system is showing less than that.  I really need to see what it looks like on a fresh reset date, so as of the 8th I will get a better idea if my pfsense router stats match the Exede stats (they have so far on the classic plan). 

It may be related to the troubleshooting the NOC has been doing on my connection to.  I have seen data usage be a little abnormal when they were working with my connection previously.  I am, however happy to say that the connection has been up nearly 24 hours without a reset or drop.

Looks like they nailed down and fixed the issue for me (at least for now).
Photo of Courtney Johnson

Courtney Johnson

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
My Internet hasnt had speeds above 1mbps since March 8th after 5pm. We experienced some congestion in the evenings before but was always able to still stream... after March 8th... it's been horrible. Customer service line doesn't know squat about anything... I'm sure they just read a pre-prompt screen.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Are you over your monthly data allowance? If so then this would be normal on the Pass. If not then you should call in again and request escalation of the issue.

Once over priority data the Liberty Plan may become unusable in peak hours. The only reason Ibswotched back is the fact that 50 GB is enough for me, otherwise I would have stayed on the classic plan.

Courtney Johnson

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I gave 150gb per month. Not even at 50 for my billing period. I have called, emailed, & reported on the exede community site a combined totalk of 83 times. I was supposed to have a supervisor call me back last friday... never happened. My post's on this page keeps getting deleted... I was told march 8th when I completely lost service for a few hours that a beam was down. Service was restored by noon that day. However, that evening I couldn't get speeds fast enough to steam on standard. Called & was told congestion... during Christmas we experienced congestion issues but could at least get streaming to load. Speeds were around 2 mbps. After 5 pm I can't even get speeds to 1 mbps. I gave now filed a complaint with the fcc because I can't even get the escalations division to look into it. If you check on the exede community page many customers started having problems around the same time I did...

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Try posting as much detail as you can in http://wildblueworld.com/forum

Some more technical exede folks used to monitor posts there and helped with a similar situation many months ago.

Courtney Johnson

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks. I'll give it a try

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
It seems all issues I had previously have been resolved.  The modem is up and stable.  The usage is reporting correctly and I was able to trace down the sudden spike in usage to the fact that the ruleset in my pfsense box to block windows updates except during the free zone times did not load up as they should have and I had three system start pulling updates all at once for about an hour or so.  So while I did not change the way I used it, a glitch in my firewall configuration allow traffic through that it should not have.  On the upside I have updated three systems.

Anyway, speeds are good enough for me at the moment.  Evenings gets a little pokey, but still have to browse, download and watch a movie on low settings if I decide I wanted to do so.

I am considering this case closed and at least for now I am content with Liberty 50 plan.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 172 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Thank you, Brian!
Photo of Andrew Conkin

Andrew Conkin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Brian! Would you mind updating everybody on your experience switching from Classic 25 to Liberty 50? Are your speeds still running consistently (similar to what you had on the classic plan too?), and is the modem staying stable and online? I'm still on Classic 25 but am considering the same plan change due to the lower fee and liberty pass along with doubling the data. I plan to keep the original modem (not switch to the wifi router/modem). Somehow I used over 23 GB in less than one week (that is a first for me). I think an OS update broke loose beyond the free zone.

Thanks for any update on your experience with the new plan so far.

Andrew

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
So far so good, except I let the cat out of the bad with the family and they have chewed up 34 GB of data with 17 days left.   That being said, that is still 16 GB left which is where we would normally be with the classic 25 plan. 

I don't worry so much about speed as if I can do what I need. Netflix, youtube, web browsing, all work so far (still in Priority Data).  Modem has been rock solid since they updated the firmware.

let me know if you have any additional questions.
Photo of Andrew Conkin

Andrew Conkin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Brian for the good info. I'm sure there are always kinks in major system changes like Exede just did a few weeks ago. I used to be on the middle classic plan (15 GB I think) but upgraded to 25 a few months ago when the classic plans were introduced again in my area. I wanted to hold off on this upgrade till any bugs were worked out. Also with all the people on here commenting about slow speeds on the "unlimited" Freedom plans I worried that the new Liberty might have some unwanted controls enforcing slower speeds during non-peak hours with the higher caps that we legacy classic users aren't accustomed to. I'm glad it sounds like the new plan works well for your usage which seems similar to mine - occasional Netflix, random YouTube videos, Web browsing, etc. I've lived with buffering since my ISDN connection days trying to listen to ballgames on RealAudio player. Lol. Thanks again! Please update your thread if any issues pop up.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 172 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
I'm not Brian, but I started my new billing cycle with Liberty 50 on the 8th and there have been no issues with it. I do not see any difference in performance between the two plans. I am using my own router and the original modem (not wifi).
Photo of Andrew Conkin

Andrew Conkin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Spinninghorse! My billing cycle reset on the 12th. I was waiting to see if anyone else reported positive experiences or bugs with the switch before I make the change.

From browsing the forum, it seems like the original modem (and providing your own wireless router) is more stable/reliable than the wifi modem with more complex software (more the user can mess up) and more hardware to breakdown.

When Exede first came out a few years ago, the plans guaranteed an average minimum speed of 12 Mbps. My results from several testing sites usually showed 15 to 27 Mbps. My original tria fried due to condensation, and the smaller replacement has never gone above 17 Mbps. I usually average around 5 to 8 Mbps at non-peak hours which is plenty fast enough for occasional videos and general browsing.

If you or anyone else reaches the magical 50 GB cap, please let everybody know how the Liberty Pass works. When I am DAP'ed on Classic 25, I can browse Web pages, but app stores (Apple more than Google) and videos will not work. Curious to see the real-world difference after priority data is exhausted versus the original plan.