Beam 328 versus Beam 329

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am on the border of beam 328 with beam 329. I think I am on beam 329.
1. How can I confirm my beam?
2. Can I switch beams to see if it is less congested?
Thanks.
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 458 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
You can call the customer service number and they should be able to tell you what beam you are in.
No, you can't switch beams.
(Edited)
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks, Michael,

On a different subject that you are familiar, I am having a problem with the Free Download Manager.
I have scheduled several youtube downloads for tonight's LNFZ.

The problem file is  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHEPnQdlmRs&feature=youtu.be .

It goes immediately into download, without giving the scheduling option. It is about 517 MB. Is its size the issue? This is the only time so far that  I can't invoke the scheduler and I tried twice.
Thanks.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 458 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
I'm not sure why you are having a problem with it. I can drag the link you posted onto the open window of FDM and it opens the  add file box where I can drop that link.  After a few moments it comes back with a window with the link and the File name.  In that New video box is the tic box for the Scheduler.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
A beam # refers to a location on the map, determined by Viasat.   The reason you cannot switch beams is because your beam is determined by where you live;  The only way to change beams is to move to a different location which is in a different beam region.  And I found out my beam location by calling Viasat.  Beam areas 328 and 329 are side by side on the map and both areas have had significant problems with congestion/slow speeds in the last few years.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3388 Posts
  • 1950 Reply Likes
You can perhaps switch satellites, if Viasat will let you.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2233 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
MEM,  As Lorriel stated, beams are based on your zip code. Give us a call at 855.463.9333 or send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com to discuss further.