Beam 321 - still not showing new plans

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
When checking available plans this eve, for a brief few minutes, there was something new displayed !!!

No - not new plans... but for a period of roughly a half hour, there was a message encouraging me to call a “consultant” to discuss my data needs (and which provided a phone# to call). And along with that, there was a fine print disclaimer that “some plans may require a new 24 month commitment”.

New plan? Naw. Progress? Perhaps. Has anyone on 321 seen any trace of any new plans yet?

The “change plan” display is back to what passes for normal these days, which means that there are no options displayed, only my current plan.

I guess I will call to “consult” tomorrow.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
  • neutral

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 170 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Roll out is starting this week region by region until a full national rollout takes place by the end of the month. You may be one of the first regions served. http://www.multichannel.com/news/satellite/viasat-2-satellite-deemed-ready-service/418059
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
Sorry, you missed your launch window for upgrading to a plan that will be on Viasat-2... demand was phenomenal and better than expected ;)

Just a momentary technical glitch as preparations continue, I suspect - but If true, sort of confirms what many of us have been speculating. You won't specify which satellite you'll be assigned to. Rather the plan you select will determine that and satellite assignment is Viasat's call.
(Edited)
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 169 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
So, you saying we will not have a choice if we want to go to Viasat 2, they will have some of us remain on 1 even if we want the higher speed, or that it will not be an option for us..?
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
It should be easy for existing customers to determine if we get moved to VS-2 or not. If our plan determines we need a new dish, tria, etc... then it's clearly VS-2. If the plan does not require that, then we can ask for a plan which does require it. If none of our options were to require such a move, then we wouldn't have access to VS-2 (at least yet).
Photo of cynthia sanford

cynthia sanford

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Has anyone called for the consultant to give u the scoop on why we r prompted to call?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
110% correct.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
Just wait until that sinks in ;)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
Speaking of sinking, did you see about the stupid couple that quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and then bought a boat to sail around the world? They sunk the boat in two days.

Of course, I don't know who is dumber. That couple or the people giving them money on Gofundme so they can continue their absurd dream. Of course the couple was from Colorado, and they do have legalized marijuana.

Whatever happened to working hard for a living!?!?!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2070 Posts
  • 1015 Reply Likes
I love how they were in their early 20s and wanted to escape the rat race.  You have no idea what the rat race is in your 20s.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 759 Posts
  • 385 Reply Likes
Careful VeteranSatUser, some of us are native Coloradoians.....  And not all of us smoke the wacky tobaccy!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
I can vouch for at least SOME Viasat employees. And hopefully neither of those two worked in the call center. But Colorado isnt called the mile high state just because of its elevation :).
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Whatever happened to working hard for a living!?!?!
Unfortunately, the workplace isn't about simply doing the work anymore.  Possibly, it never was.  There's also the people and office politics that contaminate the workplace and make it absolutely unbearable for many, and likely most.

Here are some examples:

For example, from http://guides.wsj.com/careers/how-to-overcome-career-obstacles/how-to-handle-office-politics/  there is: "Meanwhile, keep an eye out for any office turmoil that might be directed at you. If a boss or colleague works to sabotage your career – or you perceive you’re being sabotaged – no matter the reason, it can be tough to cope. Complain, and you’re no longer considered a team player or may be accused of imagining the situation. Sit back and do nothing, and your career advancement could be in jeopardy."  Now, why would -*- anyone -*- want to deal with -*- that -*-?

Or, how about: "You absolutely do not have the right to free speech at work unless you work for the government" from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/donna-ballman/can-you-be-fired-for-your_b_9154066.html
couple that quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and then bought a boat to sail around the world?
I can easily see why they did that.  They ran into the people and office politics I referenced above and got fed up really fast.
Of course, I don't know who is dumber. That couple or the people giving them money on Gofundme so they can continue their absurd dream
I believe this statement here to be completely unfair to that couple.  Obviously, they could have done better but I can't fault them for wanting to escape the rat race that has infected the workplace.
I love how they were in their early 20s and wanted to escape the rat race.  You have no idea what the rat race is in your 20s.
I disagree.  In general, the rat race has become exponentially more obvious and oppressive over the last 15 years or so.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
plans will be rolling out by area. We'll probably have a official thing soon. 
(Edited)
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I am gonna ask lol how soon brad lol just kidding
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Yeah Brad, will it be "early soon", "mid soon" or "late soon"? I mean, it's "early soon" already, what's taking so long?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3602 Posts
  • 3588 Reply Likes
Why do you think a social media moderator would be at liberty to provide details? Do you similarly berate the store clerk at the checkout counter when what you want is out of stock or coming soon? Cut Brad some slack. 
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Um - Old Labs, I was kidding, was that not clear (?) Did it really come across as serious?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3602 Posts
  • 3588 Reply Likes
It's hard to tell these days - with everybody being so disgruntled as you say - me I'm simply gruntled ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I thought perhaps the absurdity of using terminology such as "early soon", etc... would have made it plain.

I guess I should have included a ;) or a j/k...

Brad... ;)  j/k
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3602 Posts
  • 3588 Reply Likes
Gruntled, albeit disappointed so far ;(  
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
Viasat 1 new plans rolled out today. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1068 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
That’s cool. ViaSat 2 plans will blow them away and get everyone off my satellite.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 169 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
LOL,, if we can afford them,  I am worried the plan I want will be way to high..  I do not care about 100 mbps down, I would love 25 mbps without the video downgrade, but I think that is not an option.. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3074 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Old Labs is still acting like the drunken sailor! I caught the sarcasm Risque!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3602 Posts
  • 3588 Reply Likes
Damn spell check...

That's airman, although I was once marooned on a raft in Matagorda Bay with a bunch of flight nurses during wet ditch training... they were impressed that the enlisted men were smart enough to bring along canned cocktails (margaritas). They eventually stopped hanging out at the officer's club during training after classes - preferring the much rowdier atmosphere at the NCO club.

Contrary to popular belief it was me, a couple other buck Sgts and a couple of nurses that invented Karaoke singing along to the likes of Tony Joe White's Polk Salad Annie, Edwin Starr's War, and the Chambers Brothers Time Has Come Today to place things in historical context.

Perhaps Jim16 needs to dig out his score card again.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2039 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Sorry, Viasat Brad wont allow it anymore.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2039 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Sorry, Viasat Brad wont allow it anymore.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3074 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Double trouble posts again!
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Looks like plans rolling out for my beam too.

(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Look at plans for zip 90210
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Bradley, same plans now showing in my zip... 20187.

If this is what its going to be, then I don't see how this jives with their marketing claims that VS-2 will "close the digital divide". I also don't see how this is consistent with comments they made that we want "more data" and they "heard us".

Changing prioritization to 100 from 150 is not consistent with those claims. Forcing everyone into the opti-throttle-mization is not consistent with those claims. Giving us less for the same $ (or in some cases, less for more $) is not consistent with those claims.

I really really hope another shoe is about to drop - else, I'm really not happy - this is what we've been waiting months for?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
Off hand these appear to be the new norm for those on Viasat-1, not Viasat-2 - I do expect another shoe to drop (hinted at elsewhere but that would be a forward looking statement and therefor speculation) - but I'm not sure is you're really not happy lacking an emoticon ;)

But only the non-Wifi options showing for new customers on Beam 329 for now.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
I think this does two things. It gives people from HughesNet an unlimited option today at “maybe” less money than they are currently paying. It also does away with older plans like Liberty 10/12 with free zone and such. Pretty much will lower data usage should someone switch plans now.

New, better, more expensive plans are coming. With the current price structure, I probably won’t be interested.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
If true, that means plans available in my zip - which are definitely changed from what was showing yesterday - are not complete. Perhaps that is so, but it's puzzling to me that plans in my zip would be so drastically different from yesterday and yet not include VS-2 options ("new, better, more expensive" as you said, Bradley). Maybe there's more yet to come? I'm having a tough time understanding why, but maybe... ?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
The first shoe already dropped on my NRTC plans last month Old Labs. They had given me that heads up and hence that is when I jumped to Freedom. For whatever reason, you didn't get that option.

So look for a phasing out of the hot burning "boost" modem. You will the old modem and the triangle modem as options. Triangle will be the new AN improved modem....but still no off and on switch for easier reboots. And the cord is harder to unplug. Come on engineers...get with it!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
ViaSat-2 has not released yet. Today's been ViaSat 1. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
For whatever reason, you didn't get that option.
My NRTC member organization still prefers using the U.S. Mail for all communication - I'm thinking it's at some postman's home if I believe recent reports.

To be fair however, I don't think they're all that much interested in Viasat at this point - they've been steadily building out their own infrastructure but too far from me at around 70 miles. They're just using Viasat for some coverage gaps it appears. At the time, I signed on they were the only option available for Wildblue service in this area and I stayed with them through the Exede transition (Exede didn't want me switching apparently not wanting to cannibalize their NRTC dealers at the time when I asked). 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3085 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
Interesting. My provider actually got out of the satellite internet business and sold their accounts to another provider. I didn't care for that much at first. I mean the whole reason i didn't go with Viasat from the start is they foolishly offered the great 7.5GB per month plan, while the NRTC offered 10GB. Viasat corrected that mistake after a few months, but by then they already lost me as a direct customer.

I was going to make the switch now, but with a freedom plan that offers me unrestricted video resolution, I am not keen on giving that up. 150GB goes a long way for one person. The price is right too compared to the latest plans Viasat offers.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
When checking this morning (part of the AM routine... coffee, log on to account.viasat.com and check for new plans) - again, I was prompted to call a number to "consult". So I called and asked for an update.

First of all, when I asked in general about changing plans, I was advised that our beam (321) is "saturated" and they are not currently offering anyone the option to change plans. I'm pretty sure if I had a pressing need to change plans, I probably could have had that waived... but I was really just digging for info. This is consistent with what I see most of the time, which is no plan options at all.

Then I asked specifically about VS-2. After about a 2-3 minute wait on hold, the CSR came back and advised it would "probably be about 2 weeks" before VS-2 plans were available. Note that he said "probably" and "about" - so they're still hedging on the dates. Also, 2 weeks hence is hardly "early February". I pressed him on where that statement applied... was it in reference just to my beam or was it applicable nationally? In answer to that, he was decidedly fuzzy... yes, it applied just to my beam... yes, other beams may see VS-2 plans earlier - but then, he implied that it would be a couple of weeks before anyone could count on seeing VS-2 plans - so, on that subject (national availability), pinning him down was like trying to pin a drop of mercury.

In short, "early" February has indeed morphed to "February" and for those of us with existing plans, we are in a holding pattern until VS-2 actually opens up.

The long vigil continues... Tick. Tock.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2967 Posts
  • 1032 Reply Likes
Since it'll be a rolling period if we gave you a date and it turns out wrong that'll cause problems. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1045 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Very true.  I think what people really want to know, though, is what the plans (even with location variance) will look like.  We only care about the date as a secondary issue.  The primary thing for most customers is will there be a plan worth upgrading or switching?  Obviously, you can tell most aren't really thrilled with the "new" viasat 1 plans.  
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Brad, fair point. However, many of us took "early February" to be a date commitment. In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best way to set expectations. It might have been better to just say "Q1 2018" or even "Q1 or Q2". Better to beat expectations than to be in the position you're in now.

I'm an implementation manager (IT) and all too familiar with risks associated with setting expectations. There's a reward side to the equation, also - which is why some business folk continue to do it. 
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Bradley, exactly! Date is less important than what the options will be. I'd be accepting of a Viasat announcement of a Q2 delivery date if I knew what my options were going to be. Our appetites have been whetted by the PR, so we'd all like to enjoy an appetizer before the main course. Sure would be nice... !
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1045 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Yes Rique it would.  I said when I joined the forums, I was only here until plans were released.  These plans would determine whether I stay in this house or move.  Need to paint some walls first.  Spring is a good time to sell.  
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Did anyone get new gold 50 mbps plan? Mine area got bronze 12, silver 25, gold 50 now
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 167 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I guess my question at this point, is,  are these still Viasat 1 Plans.  from the post, that could still be Viasat 1
Photo of An0nG33k

An0nG33k

• 40 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
i did, i upgraded from unlimited gold 30 with wifi and they are sending new modem and dish to be installed.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 169 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Nope,,  Down here in Alabama, we have nothing, or at least my page is 100% blank..  lol
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Is that on your account or when go on main page
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I Oregon and am not showing any plans either.  On the main/new customer page it will show unlimited 30 plans.  Bronze, silver and Gold.  WI-Fi and no Wi-Fi.

However, when I look at my account, it is totally blank, just showing what I already have.  I am hoping that means there are new V-2 plans coming to my area.  We have the unlimited silver with 150 gigs, so its tolerable, but barely. 

I am hoping all my rah-rah, go Viasat, you rock, support in the past has not been in vain.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Feel free to contact me anytime and I will let you know when the new service is available for you. I can help setup your service install and get priority scheduling for you also.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2033 Posts
  • 1743 Reply Likes
Is this turning into free add space for this guy?  
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2678 Posts
  • 1677 Reply Likes
It does look like that, but do we even know what company he represents? He appears to want to help people at any location, a give services that Viasat doesn't even provide, i.e., priority scheduling and setting up service installs.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m here to help if someone wants to order service. I can setup your account anywhere in the USA and schedule to your liking. I do have contacts in our fulfillment network nationwide, I worked as an installer for exede 5 years. Now I’m a dealer, and
I’d be happy to notify anyone who wants the vs2 service of the release date when it becomes available for you. Free ad space is the best kind!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2033 Posts
  • 1743 Reply Likes
Not sure this belongs on this forum.  We will let the Moderators decide if this is right.
I don't think we need to have people hawking their services here, IMO  And setting up priority scheduling sounds like a slick salesman to me.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2059 Posts
  • 1004 Reply Likes
Amen. I see these same sales people slinging unlimited Viasat Internet for $50 a month on Facebook groups I am part of and it makes me sick. These same sales people never mention the restrictions that are part of these unlimited plans, the modem rental, or the fact that the $50 unlimited price is only for the first three months of a two year contract.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2059 Posts
  • 1004 Reply Likes
It's these lies told by sales people that cause customers to come here and complain.

I understand the terms of my service with Viasat and the plan I am on works exactly as described.

Unfirtunately, these sales people just want a quick commission and aren't disclosing everything to their customers.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 751 Posts
  • 376 Reply Likes
Techsavvy,

I appreciate that you're looking for customers, but this is not the right place. 

While it's true there are some people looking for information before they sign up, they are by far the minority on the forum.  Most of the users here are existing customers.  Feel free to answer questions about the service, and help customers troubleshoot. (your point of view as a dealer and technician can be very helpful!)
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I honestly didn’t think anyone would be against answering questions and signing up customers for Viasat, it’s what I do everyday. I do allot of social media marketing, but just found this forum yesterday.

I was a corporate fulfillment installer for four years before starting my dealership, I know better than most what is possible with our national fulfillment network of local certified installers. I personally installed over 1000 exede systems in the past 6 years.
Whether our customers call the corporate office or my office is their choice. I’m here to help.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do have access to a beam map as the beams become available and can lookup exact addresses for the offers available.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2059 Posts
  • 1004 Reply Likes
Do you get a commission for each person you sign up?
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m a sales and install dealer for Viasat, I get the sales commission but not the installation commission unless you are in Northern California or Southern Oregon then I can do the install also. I don’t make enough per job to travel farther than that unless there are many jobs to cover the expenses.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m a sales and install dealer for Viasat, I get the sales commission but not the installation commission unless you are in Northern California or Southern Oregon then I can do the install also. I don’t make enough per job to travel farther than that unless there are many jobs to cover the expenses.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I hear ya Matt B, I’m here to help.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Stephen Rice, you are absolutely right about that. When I was an installer only, I’ve heard so much misunderstandings and outright bs from customers telling me what sales people have told them.
Although, They don’t last long in this company if they are not doing their job. It’s the third party and bundle sales companies that are to blame for that. Local dealers and corporate sales have all been certified for every plan before they are able to sell.

I’ve got a story about a third party online Comcast sales company I signed up with many years ago that created my account and closed the work order at 11pm the night I had ordered it. I waited around all day for an installer before I called and was told that the order had been completed the same day I bought it. The customer rep didn’t even realize something was wrong until I said, doesn’t it seem strange my internet was installed the same day at 11pm?
I ended up going out and hooking the cable myself in the box to save from taking off another work day.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2033 Posts
  • 1743 Reply Likes
No, don't like this, don't like this. He is here only to make some money for himself, trying to get people to go to his facebook page.  No, this is not right Matt B.  Can't be right.
Photo of Techsavvy

Techsavvy

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I asked Stephen to go there to contact me, I only use that FB for marketing through Facebook. Which I haven’t been doing since December while I await the Viasat rebrand and the vs2 packages to roll out in Northern California. I’ve also had a sciatica that hit me really bad so I haven’t been working too hard.
I’m being serious and honest about helping people get the service they are looking for. I’m told by admin this isn’t the place for offering to help subscribers get service, no problem.
I was curious why no other dealers were posting here already, now I know.
Viasat2 is almost here! Get ready for the best satellite internet service ever available!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2033 Posts
  • 1743 Reply Likes
" I tried to assist and get paid for doing so"

This guy is a slick con man.  Makes my skin crawl. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 404 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I think there is a bounty for "newbies" out there.  I got a "100 Mbps" flyer Saturday from a rural Telco, who last I knew, did not install Viasat equipment, and who has rural fiber, but I'm not in their turf area.  I'm in AT&T's turf.