Bait and Switched from my Freedom 150gb plan - and Viasat won't switch us back!! Has this happened to you, too?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago

Yes, I've just written to exede listens and viasatlistens... but would love to hear from other people who've gone through this experience too.  Are there many of us?

In late October, we moved to a different building at this same address and called in to get our Exede 150gb Freedom Silver Plan moved.  The Viasat customer service rep said she could save us $200 by ordering up a new Silver plan account for us that would be exactly the same as what we had now, just at the new address only it would cost a $60 credit check and require a new 24 month contract.  I asked her specifically if it would be the very same amount of data, 150GB and she said Yes, 100% the same and that I was going from a Silver Plan to a Silver Plan.  So I authorized starting up a new plan that would be exactly the same, at the new building instead of moving it.  When she did the 'listen to this spiel so we know you are approving this change', I even made sure to say that it was understood that we were moving to EXACTLY THE SAME PLAN with 150GB that we had before and that I'd still be getting 150GB at the new location.

The new dish and modem were installed and looked exactly like the old modem and dish, so all good so far.  Family descended and Thanksgiving happened so we weren't online much but everything slowed down about 3/4s of the way through the month.  I thought it was odd, but was busy with cousins so put it off.  Then December with more family and again it slowed down, so put it off until after Xmas.  Then I went online to look at our account and it turns out that the 'same' Silver Plan she gave us was anything BUT.  Now, for the same price, we had a lousy 60GB instead of 150GB.  We'd been actively lied to.  Viasat had Bait and Switched us!

So I called.  The first tech said there was nothing to do because that plan wasn't offered any more.

The second tech said there was nothing to do, ...

so I asked for a Supervisor.  The Supervisor, when I said HughesNet was crap and never wanted to go back to them but that this was a huge problem, laughed, said that indeed there was a note that we had been wrongly disconnected from our old plan and after getting an approval from Corporate, said she could get Tech to put us back on the Freedom Plan's beam but that it might be slower than what we had here (that's fine!) would take a little while and would adjust our billing to reflect the change.  I believe she gave us an access code to follow up on in case there were problems.  Our billing went right back to our old $110.77 (turns out there was a 'bonus' that expired, but I assumed it was her work getting us back to normal) and we figured it was underway.  A month goes by and there's no bandwidth change so I call in again and...

The tech said there was nothing to do, but "maybe if I was still on the same old account they could do something but I'm not", submits a request to Corporate and is denied.

So I call back and ask for a supervisor who tells me that there is no record of the first Supervisor ever touching the account, there's no 234530 access code anywhere, will not tell me if there's a note saying we were wrongly disconnected, just mentions the one corporate denial and that there's nothing in their plans that will let them give me back the 150GB, but that, even though Viasat lied to me TWICE now, Viasat/Exede is willing to have me pay even more for a third less bandwidth if I wanted.

I do not want.

I want what Viasat promised back in October, my same service levels.  150GB for $110.77 a month.

Anyone have any good advice beyond 'never believe the Viasat rep on the phone?'

Photo of H. Wordhouse

H. Wordhouse

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated and lied to

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 43 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
So you’re claiming “bait and switch” because you signed a new agreement that you clearly didn’t read before signing and you’re upset?
Photo of Richard Fettinger

Richard Fettinger

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Viasat clearly lied to me with unlimited data at high speeds. who wants to join a class action suit against them for miss representation at time of sale. Having you sign a contract that you cant see untill after you sign.??
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1492 Reply Likes
The subscriber agreement is available to anyone who wants to read it, regardless of whether they're a ViaSat customer or not.  It was there to be read.  

Researching what you're buying or signing up for is important, but something far too few people bother to do, unfortunately.  
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 202 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
If you signed a contract that states the terms of agreement then even if you had recorded the conversation you would have no standing in a court of law. I learned that the hard way as you just have /will. Good luck and welcome to the bone yard.

I might add as in my case also never believe the REP in person. The signed contract is the starting point of believing and even then... never trust a piece of paper.
(Edited)
Photo of H. Wordhouse

H. Wordhouse

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I signed zero contracts.  Not a one.  If there had been a written contract, then the change in subscription details would have been caught.  All I had to go with was the Viasat Customer Services' assurances that the new plan was **exactly the same** as the old plan.  When I asked if it was still 150GB, she said "Yes, the two plans are the same."  There was a phone recital (boilerplate) to which I also answered 'If the new plan has 150GB, then yes."  I was never offered anything written, ever, and still to this day have not received anything written about my contract with Viasat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2443 Posts
  • 1492 Reply Likes
H. Wordhouse,

If you'd like to read the residential subscriber agreement, it's here
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
I am surprised the 150GB Freedom plan was even still working for you last fall.
Photo of H. Wordhouse

H. Wordhouse

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The 150GB plan was working GREAT!  We rarely ran out of data and it was faster than what we are on now.
Photo of H. Wordhouse

H. Wordhouse

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Note:  faster in that our computers now lag when pulling up sites that zipped up before.  I don't have bandwidth tests, just use experience.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Oh no. I believe it was working better than the current plan. But over a year ago Viasat made a unilateral policy change on the Freedom plans where they could slow you down for any reason, no matter the quantity of data used. I loved my Freedom plan too. Then the policy change. Then I became an ex-customer.

I would go with Hughesnet if I had to get satellite internet again.
Photo of H. Wordhouse

H. Wordhouse

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hughesnet only seems to have plans that go up to 50gb, though. Do you have a workaround for that?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Not saying Hughesnet is any better and perhaps worse.

The only reason I say Hughesnet is I don't appreciate how Viasat treated customers on the Freedom plan last year. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

The best answer is to find an alternative to satellite internet. This national crisis might actually speed that process up.
(Edited)
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 334 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Yes freedom 150gig plans suck now on heavy used beams call and complain you are told you need to change plans but in over sold beams all plans are less vs what I pay for now.