Bait and switch

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Not Planned
For the past six months or so, the residents of Galena, Alaska, have experienced on-again, off-again service with the only satellite provider in our remote community. All of us using the service have frequent outages and interruptions. In fact, I'm writing this from our local school, who has their own in-house satellite connection, which has not had an outage in many years. My Exede / ViaSat connection at home has been down since 10:20 p.m. last night. One neighbor reports doing fine, two more have also been out, one since Sunday. Yes, yes, yes. Turned modem on and off, checked dish signal, checked cable, reset modem key, blocked signal for a moment at the receiver to reset signal. 

Finally we called Anchorage (again, we are getting to know the guy). He's frustrated because his employer is telling him everything is fine, when it's not. However, we do have an old modem, and the new modem might fix the problems. All we have to do is trade in our old modem for a new modem, cut our allowable bandwidth by one third, and pay more money. 

So here's my idea. Treat the Internet like a utility, the same way we treat electricity and municipal water and sewer. Sure, we've had power outages, after storms and so forth, and there's a guy fixing it moments later. The water main broke this winter. They worked overtime to repair the leak. ViaSat, on the other hand, has forced me to pay for crap service, month after month, offered no help except to reduce my service and ask me for more money, and did I mention they have a monopoly in our community for satellite service? (The only other service, from the phone company, is at near dial-up speeds with a 12 GB limit for $109 / month.)

I'm going to make this an issue. ViaSat doesn't deserve to do this to customers. Regulate them like the electric company. Of course, I have to write the emails and get info from the school, since the Internet is down at home, but the Internet is a part of everyday life that is as important as roads, water, and the post office. I'm betting that most of the ViaSat employees will keep their jobs, but maybe be responsive to customers in a meaningful way. 
Photo of Paul Apfelbeck

Paul Apfelbeck

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • annoyed and taken advantage

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 292 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
You shouldn't need to change plans or sign a new contract to just exchange your modem.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 651 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Sounds to me like he is on the 150GB plan so they want him to change plans. Modems to if going from 12Mbps to 25Mbps. Since it is Alaska, Viasat-2 is not in play so it isnt the white triangle modem.