bad service

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
I had service 2/3 months then receiver stopped working about that time I was moving and my new landloard did not allow the dish on the house, I cancelled my account only to find out I was in a contract , News to me. No one told me this from day 1 of installation. I returned all of the equipment. Now im getting calls from collectors. This is a lousy Company . BE WARE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED , DO NOT RECOMMEND THE SWITCH, LOUSY SERVICE POOR PRODUCT
Photo of John Neto

John Neto

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Neto - I’m confused. You’re upset because you signed a contract and now you’re surprised that you’re in a contract? Did you read the contract? It always amazes me when consumers act surprised. I would bet that if your service providers raosed your pricing every 3 months you’d point out the benefit of being in contract. Plus, what receiver are speaking of? The modem? You say it didn’t/doesn’t work. Did you call for tech support or just complaining to complain?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I am confused too!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3055 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
It is not only the weekend, but also the holiday season.

Maybe way too much egg nog might explain what is really going on here.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 230 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Caveat emptor is as valid today as ever. Nobody explicitly “told” me, as in verbally told me, about the contract, but it was clearly stated on the web site and all of the reviews I read comparing Viasat to Hughes pointed out the contracts. You would have to have done no research at all to have missed the contract requirement.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
I can understand new customers that expected more, or feel a salesman lied to them, but seriously, you signed up for internet service and didnt know you were entering into a contract?

EVERYTHING SAYS 2 YEAR CONTRACT REQUIRED .... EVERYTHING!

And FYI :
You agreed to compensate someone monetarily for a service provided and follow the terms and conditions set forth by that service provider ... THAT BY ALL LEGAL DEFINITION IS A CONTRACT!

SMH
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
There is no spoon.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1979 Reply Likes
You use a spoon to consume your egg nog? That works, but just pouring it down the hatch works for me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Dont forget the Southern Comfort with it!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
John,

Are you meaning that you're in collections for not paying the Early Termination Fee for cancelling your service before the end of your contract, or because they are billing you for the equipment you returned?  Your post is a little confusing.  
Photo of John Neto

John Neto

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I returned all of the equipment, im in collection for breaking the contract , I didnt call Viasta from the start I called the installer he set me up with everything . there was no paperwork . when the installation was completed he took out his phone and asked me to sign it, I did ask him if I didnt like the service can I cancel it , he told me I can cancel it at anytime, this is why im frustrated with this, there was lots of Red Flags with it all i didnt feell comfortable giving the installer my debit card so I gave him a credit card instead being cautious not giving them access to my bank account YES I learned my lesson to do my home work first ,
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 230 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Sounds like the installer told you the truth, but didn’t add all the details. Shame on him, but you still should have done more reserach. I compared Viasat and Hughesnet online and all of the comparisons mentioned the contract. I called the local retailer and asked them and they confirmed that and told me that the cancellation was $15/remaining month. And several online sources mentioned the “no contract” fee you could pay upfront and how that worked. Which is a pretty lousy deal unless you plan to cancel in the first 4 months.

I feel sorry for you, but it sounds like you got this service on a whim with zero upfront research. Consider this the cost of not doing research and pay the bill to get the collectors off your back. Dealing with collections isn’t fun, even when you are right and this time I don’t think you are.
Photo of John Neto

John Neto

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You are absolutely right I got into this without doing research lesson learned
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 230 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Hopefully, you can get it resolved and keep your credit rating intact. Good luck.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Since you moved and can't take it w you, I was thinking ViaSat would allow you to terminate the contract without penalty.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Rarely if ever do they do that. They have to recoup their cost of an installation.