BAD BOX BAD EXEDE

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Our Box we figure is bad cause we 2 old seniors can't use in 1 week 10 GB. They slow us down stating we went over the limit 10GB the only time we are on the Internet is to pay bills, and check email once in a while. we do order from websites but not enough to use 10 GB that would last us probably 2-3 months...My husband called exede.net they couldn't even connect to us and stated the box must be bad but if we wanted to sign a 2 yr contract they could replace the box???? REALLY!!!! I PAY THEM $9.99 A MONTH RENT ON THAT BOX IT IS THEIR JOB TO REPLACE IT IF IT GOES BAD. I'M GOING TO REPORT THEM TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU IF THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR MONEY ESPECIALLY FROM SENIORS REALLY GETS TO ME. AND I'VE WENT FROM HUGHESNET TO EXEDE WORST MISTAKE I'VE EVER MADE. BUT HUGHESNET WILL ALSO SLOW YOU DOWN IF YOU GO OVER THE LIMIT. ALSO I DON'T  KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THESE GB'S BUT MY( IT ) GUY AT WORK SAID THERE WAS NO WAY WE 2 COULD USE THAT MUCH IN A MONTH LET ALONE A WEEK.
Photo of TOEJAM

TOEJAM

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
What does YOUR contract with them say about who covers box replacement cost? That is the specific detail to understand in resolving your issue. GOOD. LUCK
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
"BUT HUGHESNET WILL ALSO SLOW YOU DOWN IF YOU GO OVER THE LIMIT."

Sounds like the same thing happened with the other provider.  Probably is going over his limit.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had the same problem. They said it was going to cost me to fix or replace it. They said a service contract would take care of any problems. I got the contract because I can't afford someone to keep coming out here. Then only after two months of the satellite dish. It some how got out of line. They were going to charge me for to have it realigned. I told them I had a service contract. They then told me it was for just for the inside of the house. I needed another service contract for outside. I could not afford to have someone come out to fix their satellite dish so I had to get the contract. I am disabled and can't fix things myself anymore and very limited income. I had no choice but get the contract. This company is nothing but a ripoff. I don't think the better business Bureau will do anything about them. I tell everyone I know to stay away from them. I can't believe how they are being able to do this. Now it went up ten dollars without any notice. Worst company ever. They just care about money. NOT THEIR CUSTOMERS.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3094 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
Alan, the service contract for $8.99 a month covers service calls, for both the inside equipment and the outside equipment, including dish repointing, tria replacement, and cable replacement. 

You may have confused the lease fee and the service contract, the lease fee does not cover replacing the equipment or any service calls.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No confusion. I will look it back up and get back to you. I was told different
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well I went back to check. They started to charge me $2:13 per month. Then $5:92 per month. Than when I went to use it they said it did not cover what was needed to be done and I needed to up the plan. Funny I looked up my history and it is the same plan I already have. Exact name of plan. On top of that they changed me an extra $1:80 on top of the $$8.99 for upping or using the plan. So I was right. Company is a ripoff.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 555 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
If you did buy the service contract, it is a waste of money.  You will spend more money on it than service calls over the course of time.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now they are charging an extra $5.92 this month for a Annual Property Recovery Tax. GIVE ME A BREAK.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 270 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
I am intrigued by the term "they."  My first question is who "they" is?   Was it Viasat, or a "local authorized representative,"    A shady installer, or contractor could most certainly try to bilk more money out of him for a call that is labor only.  I had a DirecTV installer pull that on me once.  He said it was "against policy" to mount the dish on a building so it needed to be on a pole,  and I had to pay him $75 cash up front to set the pole to complete my "free installation" when I moved.

My other question is, they diagnosed a dish alignment issue over the phone?  Poor signal strength could be any number of things, dish alignment is "usually" diagnosed by a tech physically on the scene, why didnt they simply re align it?  UNLESS it was a con for more money.  (see paragraph 1)

Ive had my dish re aligned more times than I can remember for my "slow speed" complaints.  Dish alignment is standard diagnostic procedure when they come out.  One said the original installer installed the mount upside down and it couldnt support the weight of my dish?  One said the previous tech didnt tighten the adjusting bolts properly and a strong wind moved it.  All these years and my dish is still there, and my internet is still slow ... go figure.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 555 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
In 6+ years never had to have a service call or the dish realigned.

Service contract.  They wouldn't sell it if they didn't make money off it!
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
All this came from the Viasat itself. Everything I have talked about was over the phone. The person on the phone said that my dish was out of alignment and it needed to be realigned. The person on the phone also said it was going to cost me, about $190.00 to have someone come out to fix it. That is when the service contract came up. It has the same service contract name as it always has. The person told me it did not cover that and the only way to avoid it again was to pay the higher fee. Again for the same service plan. I loved it up in my history. They also charged me an additional $1.80 that month for doing so. I don't understand why the plan name has always been the same and it keeps going up. I am sorry I don't trust them anymore and will never recommend them to anyone. Even if I didn't have a service plan. You would think it would not cost to have it realigned if it was just put in a few months earlier.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 270 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
They started the service contract when they started charging for service calls.
They started charging for service calls because of all the complaints about slow internet that ultimately let to "Im sorry I can find nothing wrong, I will schedule a technician to come out"  It was costing them a fortune.

I had technicians here every month, sometimes multiple times a month, they never found anything wrong here either, and I still have slow speeds.  At least now they admit there is a congestion issue.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1840 Posts
  • 1143 Reply Likes
Now they are charging an extra $5.92 this month for a Annual Property Recovery Tax. GIVE ME A BREAK.
Blame your state for this, not ViaSat.

I don't know what all of these extra charges are that you keep posting regarding EasyCare.  EasyCare is $8.99 per month.  As well, with the exception of existing issues at the time of signing up for EasyCare, they cover the things mentioned by Steve.  If the alignment problem was known at the time of signing up for the service, but was not subsequently fixed, it would not be covered until that happened.  

As for the BBB, they are a ratings agency and an intermediary for the customer, for which the process normally takes 35 days.  They aren't a government agency, and what they do is, more or less, what the customer could do, or could have done, for themselves.  As well, while that process is happening, only the BBB works with the company, not the customer.  
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The state has nothing to do about the bill I get. I have copies of what I stated. They bill me not the state. I talked to the customer service at Viasat. Not the state. I have copies of everything. I don't care about what Steve has to say. I have their statements, again nothing to do about the STATE.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 270 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
The federal government imposes taxes.  The state imposes taxes.  Sometime county and local governments impose taxes.  Viasat does not pay them YOU DO!   Viasat is responsible to collect those charges from you.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You are going to pay taxes with every cable, satellite, phone company. That is a way of life. I don't have a problem with the taxes coming out.
Photo of Joshua McCurry

Joshua McCurry

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Good luck reporting to the BBB for something you agreed to pay. Wait until Tuesday and see what the employees on here can do for you.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 263 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Maybe your computer has downloaded some updates?
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 310 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
Let me begin by saying I too am on the 10GB plan and it sucks that I must watch EVERYTHING!  Devices, programs, apps, not just "what I do online" but what they do also!  I am on a fair amount and I normally make it through the month, or within a few days of it on my 10Gs.

With that said your "IT guy" should be smart enough to know YOUR online habits arent the only thing using data, and it is more than possible to blow through 10GB in a day, let alone a week.  Trust me it is a long tedious process to go through every device, program, and app to limit their internet access, and set them only to manually update on your command, but sadly it is one of the joys associated with satellite internet.

Some apps and programs are constantly "online" even if you arent using them.  I have found some chat and anti virus programs to be the worst.  My new wireless printer is constantly online communicating with the company who is not only updating software, but monitoring my toner level, usage and performance without my knowledge.  I cant find a way to stop it so it remains powered off until needed.

I feel your pain and I agree 100% that Viasats "handling" of the situation is HORRENDOUS!  I went through it almost exactly a year ago.  My data was mysteriously GONE within 10 - 14 days of my cycle.  I watch EVERYTHING I do.  I rechecked all my devices and programs, changed all my passwords.  It continued for 3 months!  The 2 things that upset me the most were, I couldnt find the culprit, and the ONLY help I received at all from Viasat was that I simply didnt have enough data and needed to upgrade to unlimited, AT 3 TIMES THE COST!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Sounds like your IT guy needs to brush up on his knowledge.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 860 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
I am wondering what an old senior is doing still working? IdK, I think of an old senior being 80+.