Auto-payments and Data Usage

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
So I am new to Excede. Literally have only had it not even a week and imagine my surprise when I first get an email saying my bill has been automatically deducted from my bank. Now, I understand the pro-rating logic and all that, but what I do not understand is the automatic payment. Is that not optional? And if so, where do I opt out at?
Second, again, I have not even had my Excede for a week and again, imagine my surprise when I log on today, my first actual log-on of any duration and see that 3.6 gb has already been used!!! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!!! No games, no Netflix, no anything like that and Excede wants me to believe that I've used more in ONE HOUR than I EVER used when I had my Verizon hotspot with just 4gb that I NEVER CAME CLOSE TO USING UP?!?! Give me a break! Obviously should have done my research before signing up but will make sure I tell everyone I can about my experience.
Photo of Kyleen

Kyleen

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • misled and screwed over

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Kyleen

Kyleen

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
AND ALSO, if you're going to go on and take my money without notice, you should re-label the email to "RECEIPT" instead of "BILL", because that is essentially what it is as I never got a "BILL" with a "DUE DATE" just a "RECEIPT" with the paid date on it.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3966 Reply Likes
What device(s) and what operating system(s) were you using with your Verizon hot spot vs. those you are using with your Exede service? There are some explanations for different data usage patterns but require some level of detail to be accurate. 
Photo of Kyleen

Kyleen

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The hotspot was being used for my tablet. Excede is being used for my laptop. Before yesterday I had only been online minimal 30 mins total and it showed 0.4 used. I was on yesterday for a little over an hour, doing basically the same thing (email, Facebook, and some homework) and it jumped up to 3.6!!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3966 Reply Likes
Still not much to go on here, but tablets exhibit different data usage patterns when compared against laptops or desktop computers. This is where knowing the specific operating systems (e.g. Android, iOS, OSx, Windows) and the version (e.g. Windows 7, 8.x, 10, etc) is required.

For example, Android, Windows 8.x and Windows 10 allow setting a connection as metered. This setting is buried withing the operating systems settings and when a connection is set as metered, it instructs applications as well as the operating system to be less aggressive in using data.

Windows 7 and earlier don't have this setting and it's necessary to manually take actions to minimize unwanted data use (whether that be automatic updates, bloated ads, auto-playing and sometimes pre-loaded videos which will consume data in the background without your knowledge) 

At the same time, web sites often rely upon the "user agent" string supplied by the browser you use to determine whether a light version of the site is delivered vs. a heavy version (a faulty assumption by web site developers since the browser's user agent string has nothing whatsoever to do with whether a user is on a metered connection - the assumption is correct only part of the time).

Off hand, I suspect your laptop caught up on a number of updates once connected to Exede - in particular, my guess with the size noted that you may have fallen prey to Windows Update but that's just a guess and I generally don't like guesses since the frequent response by many is "but I don't use Windows" - details matter in this case and my Vulcan Mind Meld is on the fritz ;)

Finally, you can send an email to one of the moderators here at exedelistens@viasat.com. Be sure to include your account and contact information with that email (but don't post it here since this is a public forum). They'll be able to give you a general categorized breakdown of where your data went.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3074 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
I've been a customer for years (lots of them) and I get the bill (notice that payment will be taken from my card) the evening before it is taken. You have to agree to automatic payments to have this service and, it does get charged to the credit or debit card you gave them the day of your billing cycle start each month.

That's the good thing, it is very reliable about being the exact same date of each month. If that day is a problem for you, you could call them and see if your billing date can be changed. I don't know if it can be but, I'm sure they would be happy to work with you if your current billing date does not work well with your budget.
Photo of Kyleen

Kyleen

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bev, I appreciate your level-head and input. After further irritated thought about this, (it really pissed me off last night), I have decided I am ultimately the maddest about not being told at initial consult or the installation. They managed to tell me everything else but that. If I had been told up front, I would not have had a problem with it as most of my bills are auto-deduct. I think it was the initial shock of it. I am ok (almost) with it now.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Why would a person who earns there money from comission be honest? Lol, as a installer, I deal with people being lied to every day...... the first 5 years of this career, I would inform the customer......which usually results in the person canceling.... then my office yells at me because its not my job to inform customers....its my job to get it installed to get the customer on the hook. Now.....I just keep my head down....I dont answer questions.......I cant afford to be a nice guy..... if I dont get installs in, I dont feed my family.

Never trust any one that earns their living based on comission....they are All snakes..... people with high moral values do not have jobs that rsquire manipulation of a customer. Only people of lesser moral fortitude can lie to a persons face for there personal gain.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3074 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
I agree, fortunately I did my research FIRST and, read the contract when it was given to me - got a paper contract at install back then. I knew the charge would hit my card for the install and first month within a day or two and, would be automatic on the same day each month after that.

I do understand why installers give as little information as possible, but that also results in surprised customers at the least and, angry ones at the worst. Tow techs I've had out here were basically jerks that wouldn't talk to me but, the last one that came to replace a damaged dish was great, answered questions about when I would be charged, what the charges would be, etc... I kept his card because if I need service again, I'll call him, he's honest about the cost and, friendly and, open when talking to customers. No getting blindsided and, I appreciate that.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Did you tip that man? That gave you great service? Tips keep good techs being good.....
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I have wondered about tips for great service, Kaotic Tech. Any suggestion on the amount?  10%, 15%  or 20% of the service call?