Unhappy with new modem

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: tired thread

Once again, the legal dept. at Exede has outdone themselves.  For months I've been trying to upgrade to the new Wifi modem.  The original agent I talked to said I would have to change my plan from Classic to at least a Liberty Plan, which just happens to be $10 more.  Then the Wifi modem was $5 more.  Fine I thought, I was paying $10 for my wired modem.  So in other words, doing the math, I would only pay $5 more for service.  Finally, over the past weekend Wifi service was available on my plan!  I clicked on the plan that read $64.99.  OK fine, the plan read "includes wifi service, 10G and a Liberty Pass."  I placed the order, sorry that I would no longer have the "free" overnight zone, for which they slow the speed down to 2M.  No Exede, I don't buy your lies about "college kids home for the summer."  My speeds were slowing down---I timed it---between 12M and 5A LONG BEFORE the kiddies came home in mid-May.  Anyway, I was still looking forward to the all-in-one modem.  Today comes the GOTCHA from Exede in a "confirmation email."  "Your order has been confirmed for our 10G Liberty Plan Wifi service for $64.99 PLUS a $9.99 lease fee."  NOWHERE in my original order did I see an extra $9.99 fee.  Well lo and behold, the extra $5 Wifi fee is for the SERVICE, not the modem.  But you see Exede, I no longer have a contract with you, so thank goodness with the warning, I will refuse the new modem when it comes.  Goodbye crappy Exede, hello again to DSL.  It was slow, but it worked, and I wasn't lied to over and over and over.  I hope someday someone with deeper pockets than me sues the hell out of you and shuts you down for ripping people off.
Photo of jones203

jones203

• 27 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Did you pay 299.99 upfront to buy out your lease when you first set up service? If you did, then the lease fee does not apply to you. However, I do not think this is the case from what I am reading. You're Classic 10 Gig plan is $49.99 for the service and 9.99 for the lease fee, so you are already paying $59.98 before taxes. The Liberty 10 plan is $10 more per month, so that would make your new rate 59.98 before taxes, plus the $5/month for the WiFi modem is actually $64.98. So the agent you spoke with is correct. 2+2 does equal 4. No one lied to you.

As for the slow midnight to 5 am zone, more and more people are using this time for scheduled events thus creating more traffic. The Liberty Plans are just the opposite in most cases, the day time before 5 pm is faster after you have used all of your Priority data. Keep in mind, Exede is one of the few companies out there that are removing hard data caps giving our customers more data. Yes, it may be slower, but you are not paying for it. You always have the option to purchase more high speed data if you want.

Hope this helps clear up some of your questions. The WiFi modem is slightly faster because of the faster processor in the modem. We run everything in our office including voice over the new modem. Well worth the extra $5 per month.

David Varner is not an employee of ViaSat or Exede but I am a local elite dealer who cares about all of our customers and am extremely passionate and firmly believe in our brand.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
the 5.00 is for the WiFi part, then 9.99 for the equipment lease which includes the modem part of the WiFi modem and, the TRIA which is attached to your dish. That is in addition to the cost of whatever residential plan you have chosen. That's how it's been with residential ever since they went to leased equipment.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
kinda confused with the $5 wifi charge, if you have your own router then how can they charge you $5 for something you control and have? they get paid for the connection and data that is it , however you chose to use your data or spread  it between devices is honestly none of their concern. please let me know if I am understanding incorrectly
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
The $5 charge for WiFi is only if you have the new WiFi Modem. If you have the older modem, with no WiFi, then you have the option to install your own router to get the WiFi in your home. For that there is no charge by Exede.
Photo of Kathy Tracy

Kathy Tracy

• 30 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
so i dont need my router like i did before with the new liberty modem? and i dont need the excede voice box for my phone either?? im confused??
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3495 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Hi Bruce,
I responded to this in your email to us. There's a $5 wifi fee AND a $10 equipment fee. 
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
kinda confused with the $5 wifi charge, if you have your own router then how can they charge you $5 for something you control and have? they get paid for the connection and data that is it , however you chose to use your data or spread  it between devices is honestly none of their concern. please let me know if I am understanding incorrectly
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3495 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
No Josh. This is if you get our new all in one modem
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
so basically the $5 is to activate the wireless feature on it then? is it a 1 time fee or monthly?
Photo of jones203

jones203

• 27 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
UPDATE:  The wifi modem that I was complaining about is to arrive today by UPS.  I will refuse the shipment and have it returned to them.  An agent told me that the request for the service plan change was canceled and I will keep my original plan, and will consider a change next year when they launch the new satellite.  For now I am happy this saga and misunderstanding is over. 
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
At least you got an e-mail from them. They told me on Twitter to e-mail them to ask about the modem. I e-mailed and never got a response. They never respond to the e-mails for some reason. I guess exedelistens should be called exedeignores.

I'm glad I read this post. I would not want to change my plan and I was wondering if the $5 was in addition to the lease fee-- and I get taxed on my lease fee in my state so it ends up costing me a lot more. I wish I could just buy it out to not have to pay the lease fee, but they told me that wasn't an option.

I don't know if the lease fee is for the modem or the satellite or both.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.