At 197% or 59 GB on a 30 GB plan and NOTHING is on!

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
This is the info I sent to exedelistens yesterday morning:

Beginning on July 8 my data usage exploded and has continued to the
point that I am now at 193%. Looking at my daily usage charts/times
shows usage that is physically impossible. I am very careful to monitor
the few devices that I have and can state that they were turned off!

My historical data usage will show that there is no use from 11 pm until
9am yet now it runs 24 hours per day.

I use only your wifi modem/router, it is secure and its not physically
possible for a neighbor to have tapped in.

Can you please advise me as to just what is going on here?

Thank you

Needless to say I have yet to receive a reply - other than the automated "we'll get back to you in 24 hours" that has long since expired.

We have been an internet satellite customer for almost 10 years and know the data usage drill all too well.

Ideas?

Thanks

Were it not for the esvt I would not have been able to gather even this much info. Using a 3rd party app on my IMac to access "personal" info from the Exede system is just not winning proposition.  We just can't get behind the Facebook thing
Photo of M Painter

M Painter

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 387 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
I asked why the eSVT was being taken offline before the new tool was ready to go online but, so far, no one from Exede has responded to answer.  It doesn't make much sense to me!
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,  I am happy to report that we have delayed taking the eSVT tool offline.

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2571 Posts
  • 1581 Reply Likes
Good decision. Thanks to the Exede team for listening to us.
Photo of James

James

• 329 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
you will most likely be told that you used the data ,windows updates or someone hacked your router, even thought you had the Ethernet cable off the back of your modem for days :) they will not explain what happened and this will be deleted or closed and quietly go away.  and yea as far as the facebook connect I do not think many will go for it.
Photo of M Painter

M Painter

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My "case" for this issue was indeed closed as James above noted it would be, with no resolution. It seems I need to make another "complaint" to Exede Listens to begin the process anew, which I am not at all enthused about.

I did power off the modem and disconnected it from the cabling to the dish itself. Twice, for over 12 hours each time. At least no data was used during that time frame.

As before, all items are powered off and yet there is still data being consumed in the middle of the night. There are also some very large data spikes at random times during the day, often when the computer is not in use. I have no idea how reliable the evst tool is regarding the data spikes, and without numbers, just how much actual data was consumed.

So here I am, watching and waiting for a satisfactory explanation that will probably never arrive.

And when the esvt tool is finally removed, I will have no way of monitoring the situation and will be well and truly at a loss. At least with the tool I can see when the data is used and defend my lack of use...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2883 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
ESVT will be removed in place of a new tool that'll incorporate many of the features of ESVT and other tools....it'll basically be a more user-friendly version. The current version everyone on here is on is merely a beta access test that we used to develop the upcoming meter.  I'm not sure which of us had your original case but we can review and try to give a better explanation if the first email didn't satisfy (apologies in advance if it were me....we get a lot of emails a day and it's hard to recall). A lot of times the modem will not be fully caught up on reporting if unplugged so a lot of times what will happen is once it's plugged back in there's always a spike as the queued report pushes through. Of course we'll need to look at your account specifically to give a better explanation as each person's data is different.
Photo of James

James

• 329 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
not sure how the "catch up" could be used. I explained that at a fresh data reset I removed the Ethernet cable from the back of the modem ,duering free zone also and in 2 days the data was gone.
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2571 Posts
  • 1581 Reply Likes
James, which modem do you have, the original SB2 or the WiFi modem?
Photo of James

James

• 329 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
original SB2
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2571 Posts
  • 1581 Reply Likes
James, you should send an email to the  moderators and look into this data consumption problem while you have the Ethernet cable disconnected. There should not be any data used without the connecting cable plugged in.

Send it to exedelistens@viasat.com and include your account number and a phone number, as well as a brief description of the problem you are seeing.