Article on Viasat's earnings call

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Interesting analysis here. Seems spot on and is critical of Viasat not getting more residential subs despite Viasat-2.

https://advanced-television.com/2019/...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Ooh checking it out now
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Essentially no one understands how you could launch a new satellite and not add any “terrestrial” subscribers.

It is an excellent question. We, who are initiated, understand the answer.

The plan to make more off current subscribers is now underway. Wonder what phase two holds in store?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Something tells me the banks won't be impressed with 2019 at all. And Veteransatuser will still miss the old forum!
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You bet I will!

I miss the ignore feature and the PM feature. All the messages that could be exchanged back and forth. Not to mention tractor pictures!
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 120 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
I can send you a picture of mine!
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I do got a question after reading this wouldn't having a new satellite up in space improve performance. On the viasat 1 & viasat 2? Due to everyone wanting to check out viasat 3. I mean the more satellites they have, you would think the service would get better in all honesty. 

Since people would be using more then 2 satellites. I mean it makes sense if you ask me. I mean yeah satellites are expensive to build more then likely cost millions possibly billions but you think the more there is the better the service would be.

Then the better the service is the more people would be signing up & actually sticking it out. Though from what I have read the reason people are leaving is due to bad policy changes & crazy throttling issues that never happened before & more satellites, more then likely won't change the bad policy's & crazy throttling but you would think having another satellite would improve performance to existing customers which would want to make them stay.

I mean if I ran a buisness I would be trying to keep customers happy & would be trying to bring in more customers no matter the cost but that's just me personally.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
The ViaSat 3 satellite will definitely help, but that's not going to happen for some time yet.  It takes a while to build and test.  And pay for, as well.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Courtney

Available satellite bandwidth has been the limiting factor, for years and years.  Wildblue and Hughes both were stuffing beams for years.  Then Viasat bought out the investors who started Wildblue.  Viasat's VS-1 satellite was a quantum leap in bandwidth, but later, since Viasat had been providing aircraft with internet since 2007, called Yonder, Viasat wanted to get a toe-hold on commercial aviation business.

With launch of VS-3, there should be quite a bit more bandwidth available for consumers.  And when this happens, this could be the reality: ViaSat promises “unlimited bandwidth” over satellite
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Even if the 1Tbps capacity that I've seen mentioned is true, I really do hope that the unlimited service offered will include the colloquial asterisk, as offering flat out unlimited service could, and problem would, at least to some extent, cause many of the same capacity related issues we normally see with satellite based internet.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Of course the article failed to mention the technical problems with Viasat 2. Gee, maybe that's why people aren't interested in buying a subpar, overpriced service that doesn't function as intended.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It definitely doesn't have the projected potential.

But there is just a finite number of customers for satellite internet. It is a mature market. It is not like a lot of new customers are being generated each year. On top of that, existing customers are finding more alternatives each year (the expansion of wired internet, wireless internet unlimited, etc.). It is why Viasat is looking to other countries to continue its growth, along with in the air. There isnt the same level of competition and more growth there. It is also why there is increased pressure to squeeze more money out of the remaining customer base (hence the latest plan changes). That of course only lasts so long.

If you want to invest in Viasat as a company, the last reason you should do it for is their presence and future earnings potential in the residential satellite internet market.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Viasat is diversified

1. Government(s)

2. Commercial air business is going “gangbusters”

a. "high-speed connections on Qantas domestic routes using Ka-band spectrum (and NBN Co’s satellites), but there’s no equivalent service for international routes "

3. “We’ve been adding 600 sites a month in Mexico for community Wi-Fi,”

a.  With VS-3, other countries will have community WiFi

4. US &  Europe consumer/business satellite services.

5.  US & NATO (maybe) Military Hardware
======================

On of Viasat's current marketing on augmented beams is to offer lower prices where bandwidth is plentiful, and higher prices where bandwidth is limited.  On VS-2 plans it appears if you want it, higher prices.

I believe once VS-3 over US is operational, consumer prices will fall.  If Hughes is planning another satellite, there will be an abundance of bandwidth.
======

Footnote -  February 4, 2019 Commercial satellite roaming possible with existing military terminals, experiment shows

I'm sure the commercial airlines would like to have this ability.  What would a flight without WiFi look like....where's the video:-)

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum...
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Think about adding 600 new installs in one month.....I don't think Viasat is being truthful on that metric.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
600 a month is downright pathetic. But probably true.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 120 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
I miss Old Labs :(
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
He is still on here.

I miss Andy. He is NOT on here.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Wonder if he still installs?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
A dealer? Yes. Doing installs? Depends.

Viasat's plan changes have got people to research other internet alternatives.

I wonder if some of the engineers still lurk on here to see how things are going. Obviously their latest traffic management changes haven't been very well received!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
I honestly don’t think they care. Come phase two, some of the biggest advocates here will turn.

Pretty clear residential service is the redheaded step child.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I agree. And once it is not profitable to support anymore, they will sell it off most likely.

Viasat-2 didn't give the boost. They are not poaching Hughesnet customers, and are slowly bleeding customers to other internet providers.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yeah, but Viasat is still making a ton of money elsewhere. Government and military contracts for example.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Hence the reason residential bandwidth is being squeezed. I realize no one believes phase two is coming. Doesn’t change reality.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
FMJ. That is why they will focus resources in those areas and are not too concerned about the residential market.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Well, I'm still hoping for improvements to the residential plans after Viasat 3 goes online. In my area I will never have anything better than satellite.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Viasat has big competition coming soon so I don't think bandwidth will be a problem for Viasat in a couple of years. Seems the way customers are being treated Viasat is not trying to keep customers so we will see what happens.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not competition in the air or in third world countries though!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
If these companies talking the truth on low orbit sats then they will be but who knows how all that will play out. Elon Musk said June 2019 he will launch but again things change.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
I'm still waiting to see Elio Motors build a car.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
I'm waiting to see what actually happens with LEO.  So many setbacks.  

And, really, just what we need... more space junk.  
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Google loon project is going good. I've even had the balloons above my house in North CA. New lower frequencies for long range wireless. Check out TV whitespace this will be a huge help to rural users.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
How is VIASAT going to grab more terrestrial subscribers? Where would they get them from? I am pretty sure the expansion of hardwired broadband infrastructure will more than counteract any natural increase of the rural population. Their extremely misleading ads on prime time TV here do badmouth SLOW DSL, So they are obviously after naive DSL customers. That would have to be a small market share if DSL customers did their homework. Wireless cell has improved and is snatching away satellite customers who have poor service. VIASAT's attempt to drive it's stagnant terrestrial customers to more expensive plans has caused a mutiny. The worst case scenario will probably happen and they will just sell off the terrestrial service and then Hughsnet will have a monopoly.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
There are still plenty of potential subscribers available.  

And the expansion of "hardwired broadband infrastructure" isn't going to touch many more rural subscribers than it already is.  My road will never get it, and neither my road, nor my general area, nor my situation, is unique.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not true about potential subscribers. This is 2019. If you dont have some form of internet at home by now, you are not going to get it.

IDK about no alternatives either. If you have power to your home, I think at some point you will have other internet alternatives, whether it be wired, wireless, or some tech not even developed.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Not true about potential subscribers. This is 2019. If you dont have some form of internet at home by now, you are not going to get it.
While this may be true, for the most part, there are still dial up subscribers, as well as people who don't have very good DSL or cell access.  And, there are still subscribers on older satellites.  Granted, this latter part is more about keeping subscribers rather than gaining new ones, but there are still potential subscribers out there. 

Are there as many out there?  No. The potential subscriber base is shrinking, but it's not gone.  As well, there are older people out there in rural areas who have no access at all, but as they go and younger people come in, they're going to need it.   

And, let's not forget, VS3 is going to cover a lot more than just the US.  Much of the world.  Neither ViaSat, nor HughesNet, are going away any time soon.  I don't know about ViaSat, but HughesNet is also contracted with one of the potential LEO ISPs to help build their ground based network.  Sure, they'll both have to branch out into other things as time goes on, and I have no doubt that they will.   
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Keep in mind that majority of Millennials are smartphone savvy, who make use of these smartphones for vehicle purchases.  Also, some 80% of US workers live week by week on their paychecks.  Further, "7 million car loans more than 90 days
past due."

FCC will be handing out $4.5 billion via Mobility Fund Phase II program

Mobility Fund Phase II (MF-II) will make up to $4.53 billion in support available over 10 years to primarily rural areas that lack unsubsidized 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) service.

If cellular carriers focus on data "family" plans, satellite ISPs will take a large hit, with time.

Footnote - MILLENNIALS: Next Generation Car Buyer
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
@Jab,

Well, I'm not banking on anything being available to me until I actually see evidence of it.  I made the mistake of getting my hopes up for DSL, then doing the same for the Broadband for All program in NY State.  I'm not going to make the same mistake a third time.  This gullible fool has learned his lesson.    

@Michael McDowell

That whole Space X thing:  It's a nice idea, and if it happens it will be great, but the one thing I REALLY hate about it is all of that eventual space junk.  Thousands more things floating around up there is just what we need.  And who is it that I call when one falls on my house?  LOL.  
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
And who is it that I call when one falls on my house?

Call a millennial... apparently they're smartphone savvy and could probably find out. 
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I agree on the junk, I did read an article on that somewhere that said the sats are recoverable so that is nice but far as falling on your house well....... lol 

This time next year you could be browsing the web with satellite internet that doesn’t stink. Love that line tho! bhahaha
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Call a millennial... apparently they're smartphone savvy and could probably find out.
ROFLMAO!!!  Absolutely classic!  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
This time next year you could be browsing the web with satellite internet that doesn’t stink. 
Actually, mine's been pretty good over the years.  I don't have any major complaints with my service thus far, but I do sometimes wish that I could join the rest of the world with regard to cutting the cord. I know I can't, though, so I don't let it bother me.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO....smartphone savvy

Do read: MILLENNIALS: Next Generation Car Buyer

Those in auto selling business know web sites designed for smartphone usage brings more sells.

Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet Market Share Worldwide
January 2019

Mobile 49.11%
Desktop 47.02%
Tablet 3.87%
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
How about... no
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I don't care what company gets me great internet as long as it works and the price is fair. My reset was today but had to use my 12gb for work files and soon as the 12gb was gone at 11am this morning boom 0.25mbps. So much for Liberty pass, had 200mb left to download of a file I need that will have to wait till 12am. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
You can always buy more priority data.....
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Yeah but I will wait, no way I will pay for anymore data. If Liberty pass was working as it should it would be no trouble at all.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
Give me Liberty or give me steak!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Not sure there’s really even a choice there. ;)

I’ve had Liberty, Freezone, and such.

I’d been better off with a pimento cheese sandwich.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I can deal better with Liberty and steak, the  pimento cheese sandwich would be the deal breaker lol
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Give me Liberty or give me steak!
My Omaha Steaks are being delivered tomorrow.  :)  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
Omaha Steaks are garbage.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Well, they're better than anything I can get at the store, and they're better than any steaks sold in butcher shops in this area, as they don't age them long enough.  Plus, they were a gift.  So, to me, they're just fine.  

The best steaks I've ever had came from Penn Avenue Meats in Hagerstown, MD.  Dry aged for, I believe, 24 days, and their ribeyes were perfectly marbled.  Far above any steak I've ever had in any restaurant, including Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe....happens with LEO

Connected vehicles, along with automated vehicles...large amounts of bandwidth is required for computer driven vehicles...got to have their electronic "driving maps," which includes roadway updates (construction, etc).

Speaking of maps, can the Millennials read highway maps.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Place called "Quality Meats" in midtown Manhattan, around the corner from the Plaza. Best steak I have ever had. That includes Ruth Chris, Morton's, Jeff Ruby's, and a dozen Vegas steak houses.

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that finds themselves in Manhattan.

Omaha Steaks...I have ate worse at much more expensive places, St. Elmos in Indianapolis was one of them. Gave them a mediocre review. They offered me a free meal if I came back. I made sure they knew I was not satisfied. I turned a free $100 meal down because I didnt want to return...lol.

Yes. I am a foodie and a cinephile.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Cinephile stuck at less than 1Mbps must suck worse than an ingrown toenail at a track meet.

Chicago Chop House. Hands down the best meat I’ve ever had in a restaurant.

I grew up raising cattle (Angus). Nothing compares to free range grass fed beef. Is it wrong to get a better steak at home?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not a fan of free range grass fed. Didn't suit my tastes. Probably to "clean" of impurities. Lol
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Lol. Most people grow up on hormone enhanced, grain fed beef. I like processed chicken nuggets too. Who am I to judge? BK 10 nuggets for $1 suits me fine.

Why pay the difference if you can’t tell the difference when you flush?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Like I said. Free range grass fed. Yuck! Grain fed a must for me!

But we do agree, we all need high speed internet. By high speed I mean 25Mbps. Heck, I would even take that as my "median" speed :).
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Flavor really comes from fat. Grain fed has more fat than grass fed. Just prefer the less fat taste because of my rais’in. You’re probably in the majority. Will die quicker from clogged arteries, but in the majority.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
I'll take grain fed beef over grass fed beef any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  This may also be why Penn Avenue Meats steaks were so incredibly good.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I love the "gamey" taste of free range grass fed beef. I guess because it reminds me of venison. Me and my neighbor split the cost of a fully butchered free range cow a while back and I ended up with over 200 pounds of meat. Best stuff I've ever had.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I love the "gamey" taste of free range grass fed beef. I guess because it reminds me of venison. Me and my neighbor split the cost of a fully butchered free range cow a while back and I ended up with over 200 pounds of meat. Best stuff I've ever had.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Ah. Another double post. I hate this stupid lousy forum.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Maybe GetSat agreed with your take on grass fed beef so much it thought it important to double post it, just so people would be sure to see it.  

But, yeah... it's annoying as could be.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum...
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
I haven't made a double post anywhere since I dumped VIASAT. I think it is the latency that causes it when you click for than once.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
They don't t happen to me either. I post on my phone.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
It's definitely the latency, or something else with satellite internet, but GetSat is the only site with which it happens for me.  I've had no double post issues anywhere else, save the old HughesNet Support Community, which was on GetSat.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It's not the latency because that post last night was from the DSL connection at my work. And that has occurred multiple times in the past  It's because the platform is garbage.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Interesting.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum...
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
To see the butcher slap the steak, before he laid it on the block,
and give his knife a sharpening, was to forget breakfast instantly.  It was
agreeable, too -- it really was -- to see him cut it off, so smooth and juicy.
There was nothing savage in the act, although the knife was large and keen;
it was a piece of art, high art; there was delicacy of touch, clearness of
tone, skilful handling of the subject, fine shading.  It was the triumph of
mind over matter; quite.

-- Dickens, "Martin Chuzzlewit"
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Oh, try Kualapuu Cookhouse....the most tender, juicy, perfectly seasoned prime-rib...Kualapuu, HI