Arizona Speeds

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Hello all, I just recently signed up for viasat have a technician coming out Thursday. Also getting the silver 25mbps plan.

Before signing up, I did do research & already know what to expect in all honesty. I am just wondering if anyone lived in Arizona using viasat & what speeds they got. 

I mean I am not a fan of the speeds I have read about but the place I live in doesn't allow other internet companies in. (If wondering COX communications owns a monopoly in my neighborhood since the home owners association won't let anyone else in) & they are just to expensive & can't afford them. So turning to satellite internet. 

I mean I am hopping to be getting good speeds since everyone is pretty much forced to use cox but then read it depends on location lol. So eh just wondering what speeds are like in arizona. 

Edit: I have tried other companies like AT&T, Verizon, century link, & don't offer service in my neighborhood at all lol. So it's either paying an arm & a leg for cox (that I can't afford at all) or satellite internet.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Performance is based upon which satellite and beam are being used...there are several beams in AZ.  Below beams listed are for blue/black modems.  I suspect beam 363 is what will be used.  I'm not aware of complaints on beam 363.

Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hmmm OK thanks for the info think I live on the edge of 363 & possibly 178. Though looking at the map more think more in the 363 zone. If you are right then all will hopefully be fine thank you for the answer. 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
If it's "unlimited" it's likely Viasat-2 and neither of those beams (Viasat-2 beams haven't been made public).

See which modem you get on install. If the bottom one then Viasat-2:

Pegasus (Local AZ Dealer gives an estimate of some Viasat-2 coverage areas in AZ:

http://www.pegsat.net/P_Viasat/VS2-Maps/VS2%20PCT-Map.html

but other areas of his web site suggest unlimited plan availability on older birds - we've gone through the looking glass and now I'm completely confused. The true test may be which modem you get  and bird you're pointed at when all is said and done.
(Edited)
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ah ok yeah we will see tomorrow in all honesty.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Courtney, did I read correctly that you can get Cox in your area?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
If your within 10 miles of a cell tower id say try a mobile hotspot such as verizon jetpack or any hotspot with a ethernet port with theyre unlimited plan for 65 a month plug into your router have unlimited wifi throughout your house , some ppl have said they got speeds of up to 54-60 mbps with them depending on location and signal strength etc that can be improved with a antenna for boosting cell signal unless your happy with viasat 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Viasat CANT be cheaper than Cox.

Honestly, if you can get cable internet you shouldn't even consider satellite internet.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
True I should not even be considering using satellite internet. Just have had bad experiences with cox before. I mean even switched them out to another internet company when I lived in a neighborhood that had other internet carriers. 

Yeah they offer high speed data but to many bad experiences with them make me want to avoid them in all honesty.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Unlike some others, I am not going to say it will be fine for you. In no way would I recommend a person get satellite internet over cable. The high latency, data limits, and restricted video are just three reasons. Then there is the price and congestion issues which will just lead to frustration.

I still take the stand satellite internet is the internet of last resort, which I have had for over 20 years. Right now I keep it over cellular internet, but others on here will tell you it is worse than cellular.

Don't commit to something for two years unless you are 110% sure, and even then I would question why.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I know I was stalking the forums you can say before signing up & always read your posts & warnings to newcomers to satellite internet.

Have also read quite a lot of complaints on the forums here as well. 

I know what I am getting into truthfully. Have also read news articles & other info on satellite internet. 

I am a bit intrigued by it as well truthfully. I mean there is also a chance satellite internet will improve as technology increases/advances but probably a long way off till then or it's possible satellite internet will fail completely & won't be around in the future. 

Either way I will see how it all goes truthfully. 

Also read your second comment yeah there is a chance I might not like it but eh need to give it a chance. If it sucks I am going to try & troubleshoot it the best I can to improve the performance but eh if not then can say it was a stupid decision.

Though I am not gonna complain because I read up on it before hand & know the risk. Some people get full or good speeds others get terrible speeds or little to nothing at all. It all just depends sadly. 

So eh only way to find out if this was a good decision or not is when it all get's setup. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Silver 25 is what I have and, unless you are a huge video fan, it should be fine for you. Video is SD or lower ONLY. Live streams, like Twitch can be done but not during prime time.

You wont get 25 Mbps 24/7 sometimes slower and, now and then, faster but, most of the time it's fine for forums, blogs, photos and such, just video can be iffy if the beam is really congested (a lot of people online) for a few hours.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the info. 

I mean that is really all I use the internet for in all honesty. Is web browsing, forums, & etc. For videos I do not mind watching in SD or if possible low HD. I mean if anything I watch the occasional youtube video here & there.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Still dont think you will like it. You have been warned.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Courtney, listen to what VeteranSatUser is telling you. Picking satellite over cable would be a step backward and you will be highly disappointed. Installers should not even be hooking up people with Viasat who have access to Cox cable.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
@fmj77 I got that but thing I am not mentioned is that I owe cox 400 bucks before they will even set up service. When we lived in my old neighborhood fell behind & couldn't pay them (due to losing my job for 2 months). They wouldn't take payment arrangements or anything. 

So we switched service to another internet provider while we lived in the old neighborhood. We moved & discovered the internet provider we switched to doesn't offer services in the neighborhood. I looked around at other providers before settling with viasat. Only company offering service in the area besides cox who I owe 400 bucks to. 

only way to get cox again is by paying them the full 400 dollars that I do not have right now & need home internet for the time being. 

Probably should of said this earlier in ym first post as well. But if you see my new post to VeteranSatUser I am somewhat intrigued by the whole working of it & know what I am getting into was just asking what people in arizona had for speeds. Since only could find a post from 2 years ago. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Courtney - Your Arizona beam should work fine.  After 60 GBs, Viasat will prioritize your data behind others, if enough users are online.  I don't recall users complaining from Arizona.

Many complaints here come about when user's data buckets are gone...in your case 60GBs...during primetime on congested beams, their speeds will be greatly reduced. But, I don't think your beam is congested, as like it is back in eastern states.

Living in Hawaii or Alaska are the best places for satellite users...their beams are never congested.  In western states, where population densities are very low, these users rarely complain, and usually complain when data bucket gone. On older plans, once data is used up, speeds are throttled to dialup speeds...not so in your plan.

If a person constantly streams, its better to get cable/dsl/WISPs...landline solutions.  Too much streaming will empty your data bucket....but on your plan, only when high usage happen, aka primetime, when you experience a drop in speed.

Come back in several weeks...and let us know your opinion.  I'm still on a 10GB plan, and service is fine, but I'm limited on video streaming...like very little, except after midnight.  YMMV...Cheers.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3152 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Not paying your bill with Viasat will have your internet disabled after 10 days past the billing date.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ah ok thanks for the info jab been pretty informative in all honesty.

@Steve thanks for the heads up I mean I will be able to pay it when the bill is due. I have a job for now lol.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Best of luck Courtney! Can't say you haven't been warned.

Let us know how things work out for you.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Then again, there's always that credit check hurdle that may be in play here if I read it correctly (whether real or imagined has never really been confirmed here but will the the word of some who've claimed to have been rejected because of it and not simply a credit card pre-auth - Nathan wasn't rejected but claims it occurred when he added Viasat-2).

Cross that, she says she's scheduled so must have passed...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I think she said the install is scheduled. If that is the case, the credit check has passed.

But yes, sounds like she owes Cox money. A similar situation occurs when you cancel Viasat and owe early cancellation fees and/or equipment fees if not returned. Then, there is always Hughesnet

I was intrigued by satellite internet in the mid-90's. The shine of that technology wore off to me by the start of this century. 20 some odd years later, there is still no robust, reliable, low cost internet solution at my home.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Also yes I passed the credit check lol. Like I said to Steve I will be able to pay it as long as I don’t lose my job lol.

Also will let you guys know how the internet is & if I need help troubleshooting.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Definitely keep us posted and dont be a stranger! Good luck! (You will need it I fear)
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Eh I will & won’t.

Also thanks I am hoping I am one of the few where it actually works but eh if not have to live with my decision simple as that in all honesty.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Rather than uphold financial obligations with cox - instead run away to a more expensive satellite service

Smells to me like back to back poor choices...
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Nah cox was 200 bucks a month. I didn’t even have tv with them because if I got tv from them the bill would go up 60 bucks (then after a year go up to 80 bucks) this actually is cheaper.

Also losing a job & not being able to pay the bill isn’t a poor choice. I lost my job due to medical issues & was wrongfully fired for not turning in my medical paperwork to work. Thing is I did but work said I didn’t so fired me. Even handed the paperwork to my main manager so go figure.

Also live paycheck to paycheck really can’t just up & hand them 400 bucks

Only poor decision would be going with this if it truly is terrible as everyone says but even then I am not going to come on here & complain because I know it might or might not work & have to live with the decision.
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I quick skimmed everything, and will loudly echo what most are saying. 
"I have tried other companies like AT&T, Verizon, century link"
You say you checked with these, do you mean wired solutions?  I don't see where you said if you have cell service, which I'd think you'd have something there by what you have available.  In your situation I'd certainly not tie into something that requires a two year contract.

If you've been reading this forum, you may have seen some of us mentioning the new Verizon prepaid unlimited jetpack plan, as was mentioned above.  If you have service, I'd look at that first.  You can buy a cheap device off ebay etc., then it's $65/month with autopay if it's the only line, $45/month with autopay if it's the second prepaid line (share with someone...).  Saw something mentioned, might not be true, but some things I've seen mentioned in places have turned out to be accurate, but someone said the price was going to be lowered ot $60 (take that with a grain of salt, but they said on the 24th).  Also, look at the $40 Vz prepaid refill cards on ebay, $40 cards are often less than $30.  I bought a bunch with one of their coupon code sales for $20/each.  Added benefit is ...no contract or credit check, use a debit card to sign up if needed (I think that'd work).  Set up auto pay with a card, and fill it with the prepaid refills (then your card isn't charged).

Also, Visible Wireless was started by Verizon sort of....  It is throttled to around 5 meg full time (which, for many, including myself, is fast enough anyway).  But, $40 total includes unlimited voice, text, and data.  That includes unlimited hotspot.  Video is 480p.  Some areas aren't the best with service (but uses the same towers, service was glitchy).  Also, iphone only (find a cheap one), but I saw an article within the last week on a reputable site stating Android support was coming soon.  Their privacy policy isn't good, but a good value for something to get by with.

Also, prepaid carriers like Straight Talk have "unlimited" or capped, hotspot isn't officially supported but people do it.

There are other options with Sprint, tmobile, ATT too, but none of those cover my area, so I don't pay much attention.

Anyway, just one more voice stating you are making a mistake. :)  At least I'd wait a bit and try something along the lines of what we are mentioning.

Maybe there's even a WISP in your area??

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I have both Viasat and Cox in southern Arizona (don't ask)

Both are fast and dependable

Cox is 100 x 10 with 1,000 gig cap that just went up to $86 this month
Viasat silver with real world of >30 x 4 and 60 gig cap - for $110

Not a whole heck of a lot of difference between the two for type of usage I need, to be honest.
Pages do load a bit slower on Viasat but totally doable and Viasat's browser tightens the difference.

I play no online games
I stream very very little other than a fair amount of tedtalks
Still manage to burn thru 60 - 80 gigs / month.

(if you love dogs & hiking Utah wilderness & want to warm your heart & have a few gigs to burn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIcMHDhOys4 )
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
what do you mean by 30x4 if you don't mind me asking?

eh same truthfully I don't do online gaming anymore truthfully. I mostly browse forums, check email, & the occasional youtube video (which I do not care about the quality of) 

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Courtney, If I were you I would look into cheaper options. Maybe a mobile hotspot if you can get decent cell signal. Signing a 2 year contract with satellite is not gonna save you money.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You should listen to fm here but on the other hand my curiosity as to the impending train wreck wants me to sit back and watch the oncoming crash with a look of they told you so 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "...I would look into cheaper option"

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Doesn't look like that would qualify as a mobile hotspot.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
So thats viasats headquarters , No wonder my speeds have been so slow lately , they're hamster powering the server's must have got loose from its wheel again
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 977 Posts
  • 487 Reply Likes
Good news, Harvey (the hamster) is back to work. 

Also, our headquarters looks nothing like that picture.  We painted it last year!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
You finally used the neon pink paint I traded you for that cool picture? Shock - never thought you'd do it. xD