Are you throttling or blocking certain sites or services, like Steam, Youtube, and DeviantArt?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. Email provided for assistance. No need for further agent response.

Are you throttling or blocking certain sites or services, like Steam, Youtube, and DeviantArt? All the troubleshooting data points to it being on your end, and many of your users have similar issues. It would be nice if you would stop it or at least admit to it publicly. I will be taking a screenshot of the question and how it is answered. And if it is removed people will learn about it. I should also mention the sites in question work perfectly fine when I use a proxy or VPN, but not when I don't. I have also tried changing my DNS to google's and it still doesn't work.

Also why the data cap? If it is to prevent users from hogging bandwidth, how is that even possible since you have control over that bandwidth, which is proven by you throttling our bandwidth if we go over our data cap? Bandwidth isn't the amount of data we download, but the speed at which we download data. Are you lying about it being "for the users" in your usage policy and just doing it so you can make more money by selling higher data caps, or are you just ignorant about what bandwidth is? Why not just sell different bandwidth (speed) options like other ISPs? I think in general people would be happier with different speed options than with different data cap options. Also, with different speed options it actually makes sense, unlike with the data caps which just make you seem like a greedy company feeding off those that have no choice other than satellite for internet.
Photo of Annabelle Angel Seraph

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I'm sure you already checked this but we had several months ago a problem where I couldn't access my email through the company I use, OR their web site.  When I hooked up to my Verizon account with the hot spot it worked fine so I was assuming it was something through Exede.  However, eventually we actually tracked the problem to our wireless router which is a Netgear router.  It had something to do with a static IP address but we never really were sure why the problem started but once we fixed that (knock on wood) it worked fine and the problem hasn't come back.

And I agree that it would be nice if they would offer different speed options with different data amounts as many of us don't care about the high speed as much as we do about less restrictive access.  However, with the announcement of newer packages perhaps that will make it more workable for those of us that need the access more than the speed.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I plugged into the modem directly to troubleshoot and still had problems. 
(Edited)
Photo of John Rushin

John Rushin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
No, but I keep having so many problems with Exede.net....My GB was already used up within 3 days....amazing....I asked for a breakdown where did my GB goes....Exede will not furnish...I am preparing to stop the contract with Exede even though I am required to pay the remaining of the contract Exede does not provide a reliable service to our needs.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
that, i would assume is accurate, but i wouldnt be surprised if the measurement start and stop time (cuz of the free period) isnt always, i have seen from certain articles of people who have taken apart and checked out the modems they use that the modem is what counts it. though i am not sure how accurate that info was. but if your phone is connected or any other devices or you have an unsecured network, it could be something you just didnt notice, i have had issues with updates, like on steam starting and me not noticing in time to stop it..
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Annabelle your question was, is exede throttling the sites you mentioned. The posted answer from an exede employee was "no". Personally I think the problem may lie elsewhere.  I  find your intro attitude to be unnecessarily hostile esp the part about how you will do a screenshot of your question and answer...you ask your question but then without waiting for an answer you tell Exede to "stop it or at least admit to it pulblicly".   Wow, I sure would avoid having conversations with you if this is your usual attitude.  Or maybe like so many people, you find it easy to be ruder on the internet than you would ever be in person?  It just isn't helpful or necessary.  You succeeded in getting my attention, but NOT to what you say you want to talk about...since i value civility, i find it hard to get past your attitude so that I can really focus on your question.  Doesn't seem like you were asking for any info at all and seem to have your mind made up, no matter what anyone says.  

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You said you think the problem lies elsewhere, what are those suggestions? without actually giving any, you arent really adding anything to the topic, so why are you even commenting? i took screenshots to have some proof of my question, mainly because of how many ISPs have been acting recently (you have at least heard about the comcast calls that the customers recorded haven't you?) keeping a record is a good idea. also i have done every possible troubleshhoting test i could think of, connecting directly to the modem, using a different computer, heck i even wiped my laptop and put linux on it to test it. I do have a http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/gadgets/products/throwing-star-lan-tap and put it in between my laptop and the modem connected to my pc to look at the packets i was getting back when i requested those sites. it is on the ISP's end, which explains why the sites work fine after 12:30am to 6 am. My issues with steam went away with the new month, but youtube and dA, still dont load correctly during the day. If you do a bit of searching you will see I am not the only one that gets this problem with excede, but that not everyone has the problem either, they likely lowered priority for those sites (which someone else stated in this same topic, and i looked it up and that seems most likely), which is a common thing ISPs do. It is not very ethical, and is part of what the idea of net neutrality is supposed to help stop.
(Edited)
Photo of Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
They've been throttling Steam, YouTube, and Twitch more than any other site for me
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
I have no problems with YouTube, Yahoo or DeviantArt loading.  I don't use Steam, so I can't speak for that site.  I don't think Exede causes the problem.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It is, and this isn't a new issue or one specific to exede, there has been talk and proof of comcast and a few other ISPs throttling netflix for their users as well.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Annabelle, is your router updated with the most current firmware? Out of date firmware can affect your service. It can even consume extra data. If you need help updating your router, I can point you in the right direction. (:

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have also tried it while directly connecting to the modem, and same issue. though it is kinda odd that the sites load after 1am until 6am. and it isnt that the sites are loading incorrectly, they wont load at all. Steam is a big issue for me, cuz if i can't log in, i cant play any of my games (the games are not online games for the record, i just need to log in first).
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Hi Annabelle: No, we're not blocking any of those sites. I just opened all of them with no problem using Exede. Kimberly's advice to check your router firmware is sound, but if you're continuing to have trouble opening pages let us know. As to your question about data, here's an article that explains it a little bit more. The bottom line is that if we didn't have a data allowance, our beams would get congested and slow everyone down - particularly during peak hours in the evening. It's not greed — we'd love to not worry about data either — but a function of capacity and fairness.
As for speed, we made the decision when we introduced Exede to give everyone the same top speed and let people choose their plan based on data. Generally our customers seem happy that, unlike some other providers, we give you our best speed even on our basic plan. When we create plans when our new satellite launches in 2016, we'll certainly take into account whether it'd make sense to offer different speed tiers. Thanks for your suggestions!

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
then why dont you have issues during the free period? the reason they dont get clogged is cuz your users are scared to watch videos and stuff, you could simply lower their bandwidth to prevent that
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Annabelle, thanks for your suggestions. But if you'd like to get your individual problem resolved, please email our Care team at exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact info and they can look into these sites that aren't loading for you.
Photo of Charles McCool

Charles McCool

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Funny they keep blaming the router even after you repeatedly told them you bypassed it and direct connected to the modem
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Annabelle you are spot on.  I just signed up for Exede my son was on a Youtube spree and used up 10gb in 3 days.  I figured oh well it'll just be slow from here on.  NOPE I can prove Exede is either blocking sites or certain types of traffic on purpose.  I'm a 18 year IT veteran not just some loud mouth behind a keyboard.  I find this extremely unethical considering the broad and unspecific statement in their policy regarding "some services may become unavailable".  So far I can tell you YouTube / streaming video is blocked, many online gaming sites (my kids like to play Roblox and it's blocked), and I just found out I can't even sign into Xbox Live because its blocked!  I really feel like I got the bait and switch here.  And before some rep wants to chime in here to tell me I'm wrong then tell me why then if I switch ISPs does it suddenly work?  Or better yet why do you block VPN / SSL traffic when users have reached their cap?  Oh I can tell you why...so we can't use proxy's to bypass your bogus and unethical content filtering!  I completely understand why you'd want to data cap user but I honestly feel swindled...I was led to believe (by the sales rep and the installer) once my data cap is reached its not a big deal the service just slows down.  THAT IS NOT THE CASE!

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
to test out a theory i had, i used an auto-refresh extension on chrome for the past couple of days and and at around 12:30am till about 6am (it varies a little) the websites will load perfectly fine between those times, then stop loading altogether after that period. and it isnt like the pages are taking a long time and are trying to load, instead they act as if i had no net connection at all. tomorrow i think i am gonna use wireshark and see exactly what data if any is being received when i try to access those pages.
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
"ViaSat determines the nature of relevant traffic using a technique called deep-packet inspection." In laymen terms this means their network equipment can peek inside the data you're sending / receiving, determine what type of data that is, and filter it or make it so low priority it becomes unusable.

source

end of page 3 http://www.exede.com/documents/master/network-management-policy.pdf

Ran a test last night at midnight speeds returned, was able to sign into Xbox Live, Steam etc.  Soon as 5am hit connections to these services were terminated and the services were unavailable again.

If I can't even sign into the service to manage it - I have a serious issue with these "policies".
(Edited)
Photo of LW

LW

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I called when we completely lost internet connection after our data cap was reached. The customer service rep told me that we would not be able to view videos or stream if we exceeded our limit. After the connection issue was resolved, I still couldn't view YouTube; couldn't even download or preview anything on iTunes. 
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
LW that is exactly my gripe.  This vague policy that lacks detail.  If Excede clearly stated they would prevent YouTube, Steam, Xbox Live, etc. from working if I was over my cap then I would have never signed up.  "Some services may be restricted" doesn't tell me squat.  Buyer beware I suppose.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
But isnt restricting services like youtube or any video service preventing competition since they are also a tv (video) service, which i might add is illegal.
Photo of krocialblack .

krocialblack .

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exede/Wildblue are nothing more than just a bunch of 2 bit crooks. I used to be able to get on Skype just fine, even when I hit my data cap limit. But now, it's blocking the sites I mostly use. But during the free hours they come back to normal. Which is useless to me, because the people I chat to live in different time zones, and by the time the speed goes back to normal, they've already logged off and gone to sleep. This is yet again another sleezy attempt from Exede/Wildblue/Viasat to suck you dry for your money... Don't believe anything these guys have to say, whatever they're trying to explain to you at the moment won't fix anything.

They're just trying to shut you up. I'll be so glad when I'm finally rid of this lousy service!
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I have been thoroughly testing this since hitting my data cap.  I can confirm without a doubt Exede is doing one of two things.  1) inspecting packets (data) and using content filtering to block data from particular types of sites / data (e.g. anything gaming or video streaming related) after your cap is reached. or 2) they are putting a quality of service (priority or lack thereof) on these types of data.  So low of priority that you will be lucky to ever get it to load and thus holding true to their statement "we don't block traffic".  No you're not blocking it - you're just setting the speed limit on the highway to 0.005mph instead.

If you want a good read check out the BBB complaints regarding Exede / Wildblue / Viasat.  You will see COUNTLESS complaints regarding false advertising or immoral sales tactics all related to what is essentially content filtering.

My recommendation to anyone experiencing this (especially new customers like myself) file a complaint with the BBB so you can cancel without paying a termination fee.  I spent two days on separate calls to the sales rep asking questions relentlessly about this very thing.  I asked questions directly related to this very subject and in my mind was mis informed or flat out lied to.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I agree with the check out the BBB stuff. Many have had huge success in getting out of a contract at that level. The throttling already slowed speed is ridiculous. I've seen a couple of class actions come up, so we'll see where it goes. 
(Edited)
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Steam Dallas, Chicago, and Denver always worked fine for me.  Houston seemed slowed.

Origin has started being able to use about 1100 KB/sec , up from just 200 KB/sec around 8 months ago when I tried it.  The Origin client back then would download at near full speed, then the game would crap the bed in downloading speeds.

Youtube always downloads at about 800 KB/sec on 720p, unless I'm downloading more than one.
(Edited)
Photo of nwdane

nwdane

• 13 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Data caps=milking the customer. Forcing the customer to micromanage their data use, is that good customer service? When I call with a problem and find out it was that I reached my data cap, you guys add to the anger by trying to sell me data when I'm already paying a premium. I would jump ship if I could but I can only get sat service out here. I'm sure there are many exede customers in the same boat and exede knows it. http://www.rttnews.com/2369186/viasat-q1-loss-widens-update.aspx. interesting. Are you meeting your customers needs. Listen to your customers and grow your business. Mark Dankberg said the quarter saw increases in average revenue per subscriber and expanding margins in satellite services. This goes back to "milking the customer". Why not grow your business providing a good service at a reasonable price which will attract more customers. I know margins are important but even more so are your customers. Dont tell me what I have to do to make the service better with links and advice, Thats your job.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Mainly cuz they cant grow, anyone tech savvy knows , satellite is horrible even without all these issues because of the latency, it just takes to long for the data to go through the air. So the majority of customers they will ever get are those that have no choice.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Because I cannot get high speed broadband any other way than by satellite, I am very thankful for Exede being available. My only other choice would be HughesNet Gen4 but their service is inferior to Exede by a long shot. More expensive, less speed, and no LNFZ.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Local ISP's that are now going through Wireless radios which is unlimited is going to rural areas and are getting more and more customers everyday. At this point, I would be surprised how much longer any sat company stays in business, especially how the two top ones treat their customers.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
The local Wireless ISP in my area received government tax benefits and loans and they had lower DAPs and higher prices than WildBlue!  They do have great ping times of course.  My brother had a wireless ISP provider for a while in Maryland, but service was very unreliable, he switched to DSL with lower speeds, but better 24/7 availability.  YMMV.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@Steve I am glad you said the hughesnet was worse cuz it made me check it out. Hughesnet gen4 seems to actually be much better, price is only like $20 more, but is 15 Mbps, where excede is only 12Mbps, also their data cap for Hughesnet is 20 GB, while excede's is 15 GB. not to mention doing a google search you learn their customer service is also a bit better than excede's which is like comcast's. they also give you the option to buy the modem and equipment instead of just renting it. Hughesnet seems a lot better, but i wont be switching cuz i am actually planning on moving hopefully sometime in the next few months so i can get cable, if i had more of an option to move i would rather move so i could get Google Fiber.

Wireless 3g, 4g, and especially LTE is nice, but they have low data caps as well, and latency is still a big issue, especially for a gamer. Though latency is a lot lower on those than on Satellite, but try something like dota 2 or league of legends on wireless (also you should specify it a bit cuz satellite is wireless too) then on cable and it is a huge difference, you feel like you suddenly got better at the game, cuz the lower latency actually helps you play better. not only that but the speeds on cable are higher as well for the same price, and fiber is even a ton better than cable.
Photo of Charles McCool

Charles McCool

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
for anyone curious here is a speed test on a Hughesnet Gen4, keep in mind that they opened up the pipes so to speak to offer its customers max speed to adjust for congestion and this was taken during the peak time in the evening
Photo of Charles McCool

Charles McCool

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Anyone interested there is a free tool that floats on your desktop that show your real time upload and download speed like a speedometer for your internet connection, here is the link.
http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I have used Bitmeter for years.  It is invaluable for figuring out if I have a big download in progress, and to keep an eye on transfer rates.  My wife uses the stopwatch feature to limit herself when she is doing a lot downloading for her research.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
the only way it can tell the speed is by sending and receiving packets, it probably isnt much, but it will increase the amount of data you download.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Bitmeter does not use any of your data allotment, since all it is doing is measuring the speed of data you are downloading. I used Bitmeter for years, but switched to Networx because it gives a much more display of when and how data is being used.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
how do you think it measures that speed? it has to ping a server online, which is sending a packet to that server and seeing how long it takes to get there and back, the packet is tiny no more than a few bytes, but depending on how often it updates it can add up, it still wont be much data but it is still data. You cant measure the speed of a network without sending something through it. 

heck, i wouldnt be surprised if that the data used whenever they update the modem firmware was counted toward our monthly total. 

every bit counts.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Sorry, that is not the way bitmeter works.  It just measures bytes going in an our of your network card.  It can measure transfer amounts and rates to another device on your local network as well as what goes to your satellite modem.  It is a passive measurement.  No bytes transmitted or added to your data stream.
Photo of Charles McCool

Charles McCool

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Annabella Bitmeter2 does not use any data it only measures the speed of the data you are already using by whatever your doing online
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I wonder why a lot of people who post criticisms seem to feel it necessary to engage in namecalling and rudeness rather than just stating their facts.  I find rudeness and namecalling to be a turnoff, and don't hear your message nearly as well as I would if you just stated the facts.  And I wish people would leave out speculations about what they think MIGHT be going on and stick with the facts and what they actually know to be true.  I come here looking for information, not attitude.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
And i used name calling when? And if that is how it measures the speed, how does it know the packet isnt just going to another computer on the network, without access to the router? I would be a little worried if it was looking in the packets, as then it could act as a tap. Where exactly does it say on the site how it gets the info? I honestly would prefer knowing for sure before trying it out, and I didnt see anything about how it monitors on the site, but i coulda just missed it. Also what about your other devices on the network? it cant exactly monitor usage when the pc is off, it also cant monitor how much data other devices or PCs on your network are using, without using something like ARP spoofing or having direct access to your router.

Anyway, why download software on your pc to monitor usage when most routers have that ability to begin with? and if you arent using a router, i highly suggest you get one, since it acts as a firewall. 
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Annabelle - Yes, limitations of bitmeter are that it doesn't distinguish between devices on the network and it only measures usage on the computer on which it is installed.  It will log your data usage when printing to a network printer or downloading an MP3 from Amazon without distinction.  The Windows OS already has the capability of measuring your network card I/O and all this program does is sample that data in down to 1 second intervals.  I like bitmeter because it provides a real-time display of what is going on as well as a history of data usage hour-by-hour, day-by-day or month-by-month.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Annabelle, what you described by "pinging" a website and measuring how long it takes for the data pack to get to that website and back to your computer does use data. However, that determines latency, the time signals take to travel the round trip. With satellite, that is at a minimum, 700 milliseconds, however, data measurement that Bitmeter, Networx, the Exede meter, and others, are measuring your data usage, how many bytes you are using, and not how long signals take to travel.  The difference is measuring signal speed or measuring bandwidth usage, sometimes referred to download or upload speed, measured in Kbps or Mbps.

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I was hoping for a link. I know i described pinging that was why i used the word ping. routers can measure how much data you use from every device on your network, it is more efficient just to use your router's built in ability to do that, it also has the ability to warn you and cut off the internet connection when you get to a point you specify, why bother with bitmeter?

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Many routers do not have the built in data measuring capability. That comes in the Higher priced routers. 

Annabelle Angel Seraph

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
mine was $30 so no that isnt the case. the netgear firmware has it as well as the linksys firmware, i know that much for sure. and even if you happen to have part of the 5% that doesnt, you could always install dd-wrt, tomato, or many other free better than stock firmware options for routers.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
While it's true that most consumer-grade routers provide some basic traffic monitoring features and additional features can be obtained through the open source firmware, Steve is likely referring to features that are typically found in business class routers and require support for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).

Casual users wanting to install open source firmware should probably seek professional assistance or run the risk of turning their routers into paper weights, in which case they'll be seeking professional assistance anyway so get it out of the way early.

The real problem is that even if users go to great lengths to monitor their usage, ViaSat only accepts the usage shown on their meter and their side. I've been on Exede Classic for nearly two years and Wildblue for seven years prior to that (at all times through NRTC). During that time I've had only one instance of unexplained usage (last fall). Despite painstakingly documenting the instance it was all for naught since nothing documented was accepted other than being symptomatic of a problem. It was further exacerbated by my having to go through NRTC support and ViaSat's unwillingness to deal with me directly. Anyone can read about that experience here. Even then I managed not to go over my monthly cap. The only time I went over my cap was intentionally on the last day of my cycle to determine what was going on with meter resting to zero at GMT.    

For those experiencing usage issues, it's largely your responsibility to know how you consume data - it can be a daunting task, feel free to look here for some tips in layman's terms.

That being said and while I'm content with the Exede plan, the current metering offered by ViaSat is insufficient to resolve usage issues. The older Wildblue metering at the very least split data into upload and download buckets and there are of course two ways to exceed your caps. Those using SRT should be advised it's only as good as what the Exede meter provides since it effectively scrapes the information from your meter but does provide the ability to save and monitor your usage (as reported by Exede) in automated fashion.

ViaSat needs to offer a more robust meter to assist casual users in better monitoring their usage. The current meter is akin to my power company enclosing my electric meter in a hermetically sealed black box and asking me to accept my monthly bill on blind faith. And that's my only real complaint about Exede...but rest assured that if a more viable option comes along I'll jump at the opportunity. Unfortunately that will most likely come in the form of a 500 home subdivision abutting my property, in which case I'll be moving anyway. So what difference, at this point, does it make?

In the meantime, I've learned to live with the inherent physical limitations of satellite service. However, if actually ViaSat is successful in lowering pings to that of land-based services, let me know - that would have some important impacts on time travel ;)    

(Edited)
Photo of Jimmy Gillespie

Jimmy Gillespie

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Did i see that you paid 30.00 for your router? If that is that is the case, you really need to go purchase a better router. You really do get what you pay for.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.