Are all new clients going on Viasat 2?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress

Will new customers be exclusively put on Viasat 2? The beam I'm on must be pretty crowded because my speed is still well below 25 mbps, so putting new customers on Viasat 1 would not seem to make much sense.

Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
  • hmmm...

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
Well below 25 mbps?  What speeds do you get during the day and evening?

I am on a Liberty 12 plan and am getting 6 mbps right now.  6 mbps is not slow.  256 kbps is slow.
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Much better tonight... BUT, the last couple of nights (during prime time) I was getting a max of 1.1 mbps on fast.com and about 4 mbps on speedtest.net.  Which was quite a contrast from between February 1 through 11, when I was getting 3.x mbps on fast.com and 14-16 on speedtest.net and I attributed the improved speeds to the updated service.  Up until the end of January, I was generally getting about 1 mbps on fast.com during prime time.

However, tonight, 6:30 pm CT, I'm back to 3.4 mbps on fast.com and as fast as 29.x mbps on speedtest... so no complaints.

I actually sent the question from the office and had not a chance to check tonight's speeds yet.  If the speeds stay like they are tonight, I'll be very pleased.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Hopefully it's not because people are out on dates tonight and this is a trend towards not seeing as slow speeds. If it continues let us know at viasatlistens@viasat.com and we can see if there might be any additional underlying issues.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Probably not, they weren't yesterday and not much has really changed today. It will likely depend on a number of factors given the increased coverage area of Viasat-2. Eventually new customers in Central America and the Caribbean most certainly would. At the same time, there are a large number of existing subscribers stuck on the Exede 5 Mbps augmented beams on Wildblue-1 (or one of the older birds) who've suffered a long time and with new plans will most assuredly be on Viasat-2 - see the augmented beam coverage areas at:

https://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

At the same time remember some pressure will most likely be taken off Viasat-1 with commercial and airline services moving to Viasat-2.  It'll likely be a bumpy ride for a while but should balance out I would think. Rome wasn't built in a day...

But let's see if there's an official response.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
Response to what
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Response to the original poster's question which Brad subsequently provides above and below - only employees get to make official responses, try to keep up Tim things are starting to move fast ;)  
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
The new "Unlimited" plans would make sense IF you could be sure you were going to be on VS2 for the service.  I doubt that congestion will be a problem on VS2, so the data caps probably won't be much of a factor! At least for a few months!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Official Response
Viasat 2 is rolling with availability. I'd say in an area with a busy beam that'll be the most likely option.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
I called today to ask to be moved and it is NOT available to me. Thank you very little
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
It's only in a few areas today. Check again in a day or two as it's being made available in more areas each day as it's a rolling release. 
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
I'm on Liberty 25 now and my account shows the new Bronze, Silver, and Gold 12 plans using my existing modem. Do I stay on VS1 if I switch to one of these plans. I don't think I have the line of sight for the VS2. 
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3492 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Yes with the exception of a few locations today a lot of those plans require no upgrade or service call. You could be on those plans tonight!
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
I will be on them like a cheap suit