Apparently I can get Windows 10 after all, without worrying about it using up too much data via auto updates

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
I kept hearing that with Windows 10 there is no way to prevent automatic updates from happening whenever they become available, causing me to think I had to stick with my windows 7 to prevent too much data loss. (I have only 10gb allowance per month).. However, I found this article which describes a way I can set Windows 10 so that downloads will not automatically occur on connections I choose to list as "metered". 

But wondering if I am reading this correctly and can really get Windows 10 without having to worry about excessive data usage/going over my allowance?:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

(This is a separate issue from the initial download, which I understand uses up 3gb of data--so I could make sure to only do that initial download during the LNFZ.)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
  • Pleased

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Only works for Wifi.  You can't set wired to metered.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Yes, you are interpreting that link correct and as Name141 points out the metered connection option is not available for wired connections to your router or directly to your modem (although there are other options for those using Windows 10 Pro for wired connections).

However, that's only a start and there are some other actions that can be taken. The following article does a reasonably good job of explaining them:

http://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/

Don't overlook the links at the bottom of that page since they contain other steps you may want to take.

Also beware using the new built-in Edge browser and stick with whatever you use now until familiar with it. 
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Lorriel - Like has been mentioned, the metered connection can only be set on WiFI, not Ethernet.  I have been doing this since day 1 of the public release of Windows 10.  Sometimes it is a little awkward when you enable downloads during LNFZ and nothing happens.  There seems to be a queuing system beyond your computer saying 'OK'.  Sometimes it requires a reboot to get things rolling.  It sure would be nice if MS would give us better control over this process, but disadvantaged folks like us are a miniscule minority in the MS world.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Oh no!  Well, seems like that won't work...since I want to be able to use my pc at home, not at some outside wifi connection.  My problem is I don't understand the word "ethernet"--I even looked it up, but that didn't help much.  

"Ethernet is a link layer protocol in the TCP/IP stack, describing how networked devices can format data for transmission to other network devices on the same network segment, and how to put that data out on the network connection."
en.wikipedia.org

No, that doesn't tell someone with my level of knowledge anything....can someone explain in more basic terms for me?  I mean, are the 2 main types of connections wifi and ethernet?  And would ethernet be most everything that isn't wifi?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Think of it in terms of a wired connection vs. a wireless connection.

If you connect directly to your modem or router using a cable, it's a wired connection and metered mode would be unavailable.

However, if you establish a wireless connection to your router (can't connect to the modem wirelessly without a router), metered mode would be available.    

If you have a computer or device capable of wireless connections, you can buy a wireless router, connect it to the modem via a cable and connect to the router wirelessly through the router.

(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
OK, Old labs....I think this may work for me then.   the main pc I use is my laptop, which is wirelessly connected to my router, which is connected via a cable to my Exede modem--I want to make sure I get this right, because I am about to buy a new laptop, and if I can't find a sure way to use metered mode to stop random updates, then I really need to buy a laptop that does not have Windows 10 (I would pick windows 7, which is what I have now.)  Don't want to go buy a laptop with Win 10 and then have it not work for me.

So, am I understanding you correctly that in my current setup--laptop wirelessly connected to my router-- I WOULD be able to select the Windows 10 metered mode and forestall random downloads?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Lorriel - On your Win10 machine, click on the Start icon in the lower left, then select Settings<>Network & Internet<>WiFi<>Advanced Options and set your Metered Connections to ON.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
JEP, I don't have Win10 I have an old laptop with Win 7 which I need to replace, which is why I want to be sure I can avoid excessive usage before getting a laptop that has windows 10.

From what Old Labs is saying, sounds like I will be able get win 10 and set it as metered since I connect my laptop to my router wirelessly (and the router is connected via a cable to the modem)?
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Why do you NEED to replace Windows 7? It's got 5 years left.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Lorrie's buying a new laptop not replacing the operating system. Depending upon what she buys and from whom there may not be a Windows 7 option available -  2020 represents the current end of life for Windows 7 extended support (security fixes only).

Mainstream support supposedly ended in January 2015 (no new features, no non-security related features).

If buying a new laptop today I'd probably opt for an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro at time of purchase - time marches on with or without us. Alternately buying with Windows 7 Pro would allow the free upgrade path to Windows 10 Pro (for as long as that free upgrade path exists). Pro provides some additional flexibility for controlling updates (but not much) and the additional Pro features are necessary in my case.        

(Edited)
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
There's always Debian, Mint, some version of Ubuntu but not Ubuntu (or atleast, I wouldn't use Ubuntu now) unless you got some hardware that aint supported easily, etc. CentOS aint too bad even for a desktop with more repos for ntfs-3g and VLC, etc.

Unless of course, like me, you are gaming.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Or unless of course you're like me and develop Windows desktop applications - although retired for the right $$ I can always be coaxed out of retirement temporarily - I may be easy but I'm not cheap  ;) 
(Edited)
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
You can't Wine whatever it is you need ?
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Nope, let's just say I'm in a specialized market... when and if I work. 
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
There you go, speaking in that "other language" again!
 but old labs, am I correct that I can get a laptop with win 10 and would be able to set it to metered connection via my at home wireless connection to a router cabled to my exede modem?

I did find an hp laptop on their online store that had win7--just one to choose from.  I like WIN7 just fine....but would like to have more of a choice of laptops...

and if the laptop I prefer doesn't have win10 pro, would I still be able to prevent excessive usage by setting to metered?  
Want to make sure I get this right....for me, on my fixed income a laptop is a major purchase....

thanks so much for your help in understanding this stuff!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Don't limit your laptop choices to only those offering Windows 7 or even 8, although those are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade for as long as it lasts.

The free upgrade path depends on which version of those you have (e.g. Windows 7/8 Pro entitles you to a "free" Windows 10 Pro upgrade, while standard editions only entitle you to a "free" Windows 10 Home upgrade.

Choice of a Pro version for any of them is really dependent on whether you need the additional features - most of those are geared towards enterprise users not typical home users and therefore generally not needed. My choices are dictated by being an enterprise user at home (or at least keeping that option open now)             

All Windows 10 versions have metered mode available (provided you have a wireless adapter). However, the Pro version (and above since there are full blown enterprise versions also) does provide the ability to defer updates (but not forever) and offers some minimal added flexibility in that regard - probably not enough to be concerned about for a home user and probably adding additional confusion/complexity for the typical home user.

If you purchase a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, you'll want to check if there are downgrade rights available should you decide to step back.

If you purchase online through a manufacturer's store, depending upon which machine you buy you may have the option to customize to your choice of operating system at time of purchase, however "deals" generally don't offer an option and customization comes at a higher cost and later shipping date. Walking into a local store you generally don't have that option and what you see is what you get (unless they have an in store "squad" to change it at an additional charge of course).

In summary however, you can control data usage through metered mode on Windows 10 as well as the other steps mentioned in the links provided. The caveats regarding controlling automatic updates for other applications installed hold regardless of operating system. As JEP has noted here and elsewhere he's using it on a regular daily basis with little data usage impact. My usage of Windows is primarily limited to the LNFZ and I use Windows 7 during the day until I get a full handle on Windows 10 but that choice has little to do with data usage. My wife uses Windows 8.1 on a daily basis and it has some of the same constraints as Windows 10 regarding usage and it has had little impact on overall usage.       

The good news is that we're now approaching the silly season and early deals are starting to pop up so look at them all - HP, Lenovo, Dell, and the list goes on and on.

P.S. As Name141 points out there are other non-Microsoft options, but I won't get into the debate about which is best - there is no real definitive answer. For most home users it's simply a matter of what you've grown accustomed to and there has to be a compelling reason to switch. If technology were simply a matter of which is best, I'd have a Betamax recorder rather than a VHS recorder gathering dust in my closet, and still be running OS2 - more often than not it's about the initial battle over market share and which peaks at the right time.                        

(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Old Labs, I think I understood everything you said, EXCEPT I don't know what you mean by this:  If you purchase a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, you'll want to check if there are downgrade rights available should you decide to step back."  I am leaning toward buying a new laptop with Win10 preinstalled, but don't know what you mean by "downgrade rights"? or about my "stepping back"?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
In the past it has been possible to downgrade and step back to prior versions of some Microsoft software - not sure if it's applicable to Windows 10 however. I suspect not given Microsoft's aggressive push for Windows 10 adoption. If going the free upgrade route you do however have a narrow window to revert back to Windows 7 or 8.x   
(Edited)
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
It's 31 days to revert back. After that it deletes the old data.  I'm sure they 7 or 8 key then is 'ate' ?
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, Old Labs, and TheName141.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
When and if you do take the plunge on a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed, one final caveat...

When you first power it on you'll be prompted to complete setup and likely be asked to sign-in with your "Microsoft account" or create one - don't! Signing in with or creating a Microsoft Account will automatically enable many of the cloud enabled features that gobble data. Instead create one and there should be an option, link or button to establish a local user account and password. You can always switch later if you find those features to be necessary and some apps will require a Microsoft account  anyway to get updates (or purchase apps from the Microsoft App Store).

Conversely if you do signing initially with a Microsoft account, you can always setup a local account later.

Also beware that when you fire it up for the first time, it's likely that you get some automatic updates by default - best to use the free zone during initial setup (or stop buy somewhere with free wifi access) until you get things setup for minimal data usage.

When setting up my wife's machine with Windows 8.1 it had most of the same data usage concerns. It took me several LNFZ sessions before I was comfortable letting her go viral.

The general strategy is to always favor use of the local account except when it is absolutely necessary to use a Microsoft Account. 

(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks--this is so helpful.  So much I don't know....