App issue

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Can you please fix or inform the appropriate department to fix this false error in the app. This has been going on for over a month and I believe this is my second or third time sharing this app issue. The app constantly reports a WiFi error when there are no errors of any kind.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Frannie Bayne Spencer

Frannie Bayne Spencer

• 13 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Ya know, come to think about it, this is what I see every time I go on there to check how many devices are on. I’d like to know what this means too!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Brad??? Anyone???

Frannie Bayne Spencer

• 13 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hmmm, no comment back yet about this? Where is everyone?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1230 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Well it is the weekend now...

Frannie Bayne Spencer

• 13 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I've used the Viasat app for quite a while and have never seen that error.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3496 Posts
  • 1310 Reply Likes
Is this still going on?  Our app team will be in tomorrow I can direct them to this post
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Yes. Still happening. Seemed to correspond with a Spock modem firmware update.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Any news about this?
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Hey Brad! What’s the status of this?
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2399 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Nathan, it has been escalated and we are waiting for a reply.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Diana, anything?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Wow Viasat can't even help their biggest fan.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
Nathan, Diana escalated the issue, the last we heard, the team that works on the app was looking into it.  We occasionally reach out for more information, but haven't heard anything definitive.  
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Will. Please. Go away!!! Your constant interference and counterproductive comments aren’t needed here.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Still not fixed. Any updates??
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
M.E.M., I agree with you all the way. Great traffic monitoring, much better WiFi coverage.

I have never tried to use the phone app.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
M.E.M. and Steve,

Which one do you have, and do you use the Merlin firmware or dd-wrt?  Also, does yours track data by device?  I know the more expensive models do with Merlin, but I'm trying to find out if something like the RT-AC66U_B1 does, or if the less expensive models like that one, though on the supported list, don't have that feature. 

Basically, I'm trying to find one that tracks data by device, but isn't going to cost me a lot.  My Netgear WNR2000v4 only tracks data in total, not by device, though even that is still helpful.  
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 213 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
Asuswrt-Merlin enhances or adds to the stock features of the stock Asuswrt firmware.

Traffic monitoring by device is one of the specific extensions added by Asuswrt-Merlin. However,the Traffic Monitor shouldn't be confused  with the Traffic Analyzer feature of the stock firmware (2 different features offered by the stock firmware) - and the Traffic Analyzer feature isn't available on all models. It also provides some analysis (mostly graphical) by device but is limited to the top 5 devices on the network as I recall and has been sufficient for my needs and also tracks specific web site activity (RT-AC3200 in my case and for M.E.M. - Gwalk had the RT-AC3100 as I recall).

You specifically need to look at the features under specifications for each model to determine if it has the Traffic Analyzer feature. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/

Looks like the RT-AC66U-B1 (make sure it's the B1 ) is one of the lower cost entries into the Merlin world with the current Merlin firmware. That model does have the Traffic Analyzer feature and would probably be my choice on a budget. If the stock firmware doesn't meet your needs, you can extend it with the Merlin firmware.

Also look at

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/index.asp

It'll give you a little hands on demo of the Traffic Analyzer as well as stock Traffic Monitor (and other stock features).

Best advice I can give is stick to any of the Merlin supported models and extend as needed. It's confusing but remember you're simply extending the stock firmware - sorta like a box a chocolates you don't know what you're getting till you take a bite. But if you do want the Traffic Analyzer make sure Asus specifically shows it as a feature under the specifications. The Traffic Analyzer statistics show you where data is going by device and when (in 1 hour intervals) - UI is very graphical like Glasswire. I look at the Traffic Monitor as being more like the Networx UI.

See https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features  and the screenshots over at that site will also give you a feel for the added Traffic Monitor features.

P.S. See https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki for more specific technical detail on Merlin specific features. 

(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
GabeU, I am currently using the ASUS RT AC1900P with the Merlin software. It has may of the feaatures of the higher priced AC 3100 or AC 3200 routers, but does provide both data usage totals and usage and app by device.

At my lake place, I'm on Spectrum, and use an older ASUS RT-N66U routers running the Merlin software. That router is more limited in the traffic monitoring, giving data usage totals for the past 24 hrs, daily totals and  monthly totals, but does not break it down any further.

If I had to replace my home router, I would upgrade to the AC3200 which gives better usage breakdown, but is a  bit pricey, as long as my current router is still working.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
Dances,

My biggest thing is that I just want to be able to look at the info and see that my desktop used X amount of data since a specific date (the 5th of each month), my laptop used X amount of data and my phone used X amount of data.  

I have a small house, so range isn't an issue, nor are any other features of more expensive models.  I just need basic WiFi with the addition of being able to see the total data usage of each device since a specific date, and that date is because that's when my ISP data resets.  

I appreciate the info.  I'll take a look.  

----------------------------------

Steve,

The router you currently have is actually pretty nice.  I know the more expensive one would be better for you, but something like the RT AC1900P would pretty much do exactly what I'm looking for, by the sounds of it. 

Using my phone and laptop more than I used to, in addition to my normally used desktop, it's becoming more important to be able to determine how much data each is using.  
(Edited)
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 178 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Gabe
I have the AC 3200 and am quite pleased with it. I think I paid less than $200 for it.