Anyone in Upstate NY on B314?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
I currently use a Verizon air card and will be starting to work from home for a software company.  I am shopping around for satellite internet since I believe the dedicated signal of the dish will be better than the air card.  I am curious if anyone is in my area and has Exede and has some real world download and upload speeds that are up to date?  

I believe given the nature if my job I may need the 30gb plan but may start at the 18gb?  I am doing helpdesk quality assurance so I dont think the latency will be an issue.  I will keep the aircard as a backup for when the weather is bad.

Thanks
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
Kevin, I am in the central southern tier of NYS, near Corning, Beam 314. I have been with Wildblue since April 2008, and then switched to Exede in April 2012. I am on the Liberty 10 plan, and typically see speeds of 18.0 to 21.0 Mbps when I am on my Priority data. During the holidays, speeds have been as low as 8.0 Mbps, as people are home from work and school, and those firing up their new devices which download new software and updates. During the times I am into the Liberty Pass mode, my speeds are typically in the 4.0 to 5.0 Mbps range. Weather outages are very seldom, and of short duration, normally during heavy rains and heavy thunderstorms.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve, very helpful.  From what I hear the faster speeds are actually during the day from 8-4 when I will be home using it because the heavier traffic is typically when everyone else is getting home in the evening after 5?  Do you see that happen each day?

I need to learn a little more about how I will be connecting but the software is a web based software so I am hoping it will just be a website and not a VPN.  I believe I will start with the 18 and if I chew through the data go with the 30, after all it is my job so the expense is something I will have to live with.  I wont be spending money on gas anymore so it's a trade off.

Also I know this is an excede board but I am doing my homework on the other companies as well.  Dishnetwork doesnt look good as in my area the the biggest package they have is a 10mbps by 15gb and there is no larger GB package so i would be in trouble if I used more than 15.  Hughesnet has higher speed at 15mbps but their larger package only goes to 20gb if I get in trouble.  The night time data does me no good so the throttled liberty plan seems appealing with excede if I can get 5mbps when I go over at least I can still function during the day.  Also if I am paying for 12mbps with excede but actually getting more like 18-20 like you say you get it doesnt seem Hughesnet has the advantage.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
Kevin, speeds during the day, until after 5, are usually very good. If you do have to use a VPN, some work fine, others do not on Exede, or satellite. When my kids are here visiting, they have used their employer's VPN with no trouble, so I am not sure what causes some of the VPNs to not work well.

As you do your research on satellite providers, keep in mind that there are only two satellite internet companies currently providing coverage in the United States. Dishnet is a re-seller, and contracts with both Exede/ViaSat and HughesNet to provide their internet service. AT&T is also providing satellite internet as a re-seller agreement with Exede/ViaSat, usually through their subsidiary DirecTV. I favor Exede for my internet provider, as they have always provided me with a reliable connection, and react to any problems very quickly. They also have US based customer service agents, and not the offshore agents that HughesNet uses.

Just a note, even when I am under the Liberty Pass, I have not noticed any slowdowns in loading webpages, or even when watching YouTube or Netflix movies. 
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the breakdown!